U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 04:45 PM

6,936 posts, read 6,990,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandg20 View Post
The problem is we teach them English and then they go home and speak to their children in Spanish and then we have to teach their children English and then they grow up and speak to their children in Spanish and the cycle repeats itself over and over and over and our tax dollars go out the window over and over.
You give the impression that it's only immigrants whose native, first language is Spanish speak that first language at home. Where I live, in Chicago, the same practice is present in many of the immigrant groups - without regard to native language. We live in a global marketplace, it's a plus and not a minus for people to be bilingual, trilingual, etc. It helps the country in the long run. A positive vs. a negative. That's how I see it.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:40 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You give the impression that it's only immigrants whose native, first language is Spanish speak that first language at home. Where I live, in Chicago, the same practice is present in many of the immigrant groups - without regard to native language. We live in a global marketplace, it's a plus and not a minus for people to be bilingual, trilingual, etc. It helps the country in the long run. A positive vs. a negative. That's how I see it.
English IS the language of commerce and is spoken globally, not Spanish nor any other language. There are very few jobs that should/would require one to be bi-lingual in this country. The only reason that Spanish is being pushed is because of the number of illegal alien Spanish speakers that are being pandered to. Most Hispanic-Americans do know how to speak English even though many prefer Spanish. I can think of a lot more useful things for an American worker to learn than a foreign language. If they choose to do so that is their proagative but for the most part they aren't going to find it useful.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That wasn't the implication. What was stated was that for an adult to become a naturalized citizen one must know English except in rare cases where one is elderly. You always go into all kinds of different scenarios rather than sticking to the basics of the argument.
So this topic should go back out in P&OC?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
If you live in another country EX. Mexico, you are expected to learn Spanish.
As if you take up residency here you are expected to learn English. I am sure Bill Richardson Speaks English now.
Excellent deflection from actually sourcing your information...

There's a second quote that this topic belongs back in P&OC...

Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 PM

11,785 posts, read 9,708,825 times
Quote:
English IS the language of commerce and is spoken globally, not Spanish nor any other language. There are very few jobs that should/would require one to be bi-lingual in this country. The only reason that Spanish is being pushed is because of the number of illegal alien Spanish speakers that are being pandered to. Most Hispanic-Americans do know how to speak English even though many prefer Spanish. I can think of a lot more useful things for an American worker to learn than a foreign language. If they choose to do so that is their proagative but for the most part they aren't going to find it useful.
That is simply untrue. It is a huge benefit to be bilingual in any language, but particularly Spanish, in any career where one deals with the public.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:20 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That is simply untrue. It is a huge benefit to be bilingual in any language, but particularly Spanish, in any career where one deals with the public.
Benefit how in THIS country and why Spanish in particular?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 PM

2,176 posts, read 862,940 times
Quote:
I agree. And I think its bullcrap that someone who does speak spanish gets the job over me, even though I work 10 times harder and am a much better employee.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,464,997 times
I think the thing that is motivating this thread is fear. People are afraid of a world that is changing right in front of them, and a world in which they look around and see that they're no longer the predominant race or culture, as is the case in some parts of the country.

On some level, I understand the fear. I've met some Hispanic immigrants who appear to be the kind of people that are alluded to in some of these posts. Some of them may be able to speak some English, but they're afraid. Being forced to speak a second language can be intimidating. I know because I had to speak a foreign language in a place where English wasn't the main language. It's not easy to learn a new language - trust me.

In my experience, though, most Hispanic immigrants, and most immigrants period, want their children to assimilate. It means too much to them for them not to. It comes down to the sort of support systems they have in place, and where they start when they come here. And yes, cultural attitudes matter to some degree to. By and large, though, most second-generation immigrants are assimilated. Some don't, but on the whole they do.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
...even though I work 10 times harder and am a much better employee.
...And exaggerate on a much grander scale, fits right in here...

Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 PM

6,936 posts, read 6,990,802 times
Quote:
English IS the language of commerce and is spoken globally, not Spanish nor any other language. There are very few jobs that should/would require one to be bi-lingual in this country.
I think you're displaying your lack of understanding of our world today, particularly commerce. Take the time to study the issues before offering comments which many others will probably think are uninformed.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 PM

11,785 posts, read 9,708,825 times
Quote:
Benefit how in THIS country and why Spanish in particular?
There are many native Spanish speakers all over this country, so an employer will definitely give an advantage to a prospective employee who is bilingual in Spanish. Same goes for someone who is bilingual in Cantonese, Mandarin, Tagalog, Portuguese, Russian, and many other languages in certain parts of the US. To think otherwise is incredibly naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration