U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,892,472 times
Reputation: 6517

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Oh, please. Some of you all act as though the majority of Americans are crazed tea-partier, ignorant racists. NOPE. You all may scream the loudest, but the doesn't mean that you're in the majority.

The days of oppressing minority groups are over.

I'm glad this judge blocked SB1070. Get ready for this country to become a whole lot browner!
Race card yet again.
No it can't be that we have a problem with criminals race not important.
No it can't be that we respect legal immigrants who entered legally.( Like my wife)
No it can't be that we are sick of violent criminals from other countries coming here and continueing their crimes only now against fellow americans.
Noooo it can only be about race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,584,897 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Race card yet again.
No it can't be that we have a problem with criminals race not important.
No it can't be that we respect legal immigrants who entered legally.( Like my wife)
No it can't be that we are sick of violent criminals from other countries coming here and continueing their crimes only now against fellow americans.

Noooo it can only be about race.
And then getting away with it with a tap on the hand and a flight back to their country, only to cross the border again two months later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 PM
 
4,277 posts, read 7,893,105 times
Reputation: 1552
Benicar: Not everybody's broke. In some states they really are broke. In Texas there have been some budget issues, but illegal immigration into schools hasn't lead to population increases lately and the school districts aren't hemorrhaging that much. In Houston almost all of the extra schools have already been built.

And as for illegals and taxpayer, in TX property taxes pay for schools, and illegals are indirectly property taxpayers, so they are "paying" into the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It isn’t that simple. We are broke! Where do we get the money to pay for millions of illegal alien children? Moreover, why should U.S. taxpayers assume this burden?

The Burden of Plyler v. Doe
SoEdible: Districts matter. Don't bother saying that they don't. Student populations affect places on a school district by school district basis. School districts build new schools. School districts have to worry about population increases (as population increases will force them to hold bond elections). The school district is the lowest common denominator of American education.

And I stand by my remark that the belief that the name "little Timmy" is an insult is a silly, outlandish piece of rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I feel like you are trying to argue with unrealted common-sense knowledge. It is common sense that the flood of illegal immigrants into the country is effecting schools in citities and states. Why does it matter that the schools are based off of districts? So, what you are saying has no purpose to arguing that point. I stand by the fact that you intended to mock people who are negatively affected by illegal immigration with your "Little Timmy" remark.
What school district do you live in (you don't have to disclose it if you don't want to - but if you do it can help pinpoint the exact circumstances of your area)? Does NYS have a "Robin Hood" program where the wealthier school districts give money to poorer school districts?

"One can't lay claim that a finite number of illegals live in a certain school district. Enrollment is always in flux -- people moving in and out. One thing we have happening is an increase in the number of illegal (in this case non-registered with the town) apartments which people are adding to their homes in an effort to offset taxes. We are seeing more children coming into the schools through these as well."

Yes, populations often are in flux. Oftentimes they can be stagnant. In many places populations are already "maxed out" so if there is a larger population, the excess people go somewhere else. Gentrification can cause populations of illegals to decrease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Were I live average property tax is $10K and over/year. Of that approximately 67% is school related.

We currently are paying off bond debt. NYS is in dire financial straights and we are still waiting to see what little we will get back in the way of state aid. The school budget for the forthcoming year represents an 4% increase and many cutbacks in programs and supplies. (The teachers and layers of upper admin aren't suffering.)

Add a burgeoning illegal immigrant population and their children to the equation. There will be an increase in need for ESL teachers in addition to any other special services, free breakfasts and lunches, that these pupils will require. More classrooms = more bonds = even higher taxes.


One can't lay claim that a finite number of illegals live in a certain school district. Enrollment is always in flux -- people moving in and out. One thing we have happening is an increase in the number of illegal (in this case non-registered with the town) apartments which people are adding to their homes in an effort to offset taxes. We are seeing more children coming into the schools through these as well.


People are leaving LI because they can no longer afford to work two jobs, pay for sitters, pay for ever-increasing taxes...In 15 years I have been in my home, my taxes went from $2,600/year to $9,900 -- and I am one of the lucky ones to have such 'cheap' taxes. I can't afford more increases on top of the ones we already have had -- $825 a month just for property/school taxes now, which is far more than any of these illegals are contributing.

Last edited by Vicman; 07-28-2010 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,584,897 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
And as for illegals and taxpayer, in TX property taxes pay for schools, and illegals are indirectly property taxpayers, so they are "paying" into the system.
How many undocumented residents do you know down there that own there home in comparison to those that don't and rent or live in apartments? How are they "indirectly" property taxpayers? Also, many undocumented people take so much out of the government, those people have kids sitting in the schools on free and reduced lunch and just receiving US education. You responses are full of excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times
Reputation: 22159
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Hmm, interesting. This is the part where legal residents who supported the Arizona law should do their own threat of civil disobedience. They should say, "When a police officer asks me for my documentation, I'm not giving it."
Yes. The federal judge just made it illegal to have to have a drivers license as no cop can ask you for identification that might indicate legal status. Idiot judge.

I would think Arizona can fight this injunction - and if no cop can ask anyone for ID in Arizona then no cop in any state can ask anyone for an ID. No one has to have a drivers license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Arizona High Desert
4,636 posts, read 4,949,127 times
Reputation: 2741
I don't pay school tax. I am not going to support the little suckers. They aren't my future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,584,897 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes. The federal judge just made it illegal to have to have a drivers license as no cop can ask you for identification that might indicate legal status. Idiot judge.

I would think Arizona can fight this injunction - and if no cop can ask anyone for ID in Arizona then no cop in any state can ask anyone for an ID. No one has to have a drivers license.
That's true. You could just be like, "I'm an illegal immigrant, I don't appreciate you asking for my identification, isn't that against the law?" Or, you could say, "Are you asking me for my indentification? Are you sure you want to do that? Isn't that illegal?" Basically, you'd have to make it look like the officer was suspicious that you are an undocumented person. Then you could sue the state for discrimination and that would add up to the amount of money that the judge tried to say was one of the reasons for ruling against the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 PM
 
2,791 posts, read 3,555,913 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
I find it interesting that the ILLEGALS will march like bullies in the streets in OUR country and protest for rights when they have the ACLU and pro-amnesty groups in front of them to hide behind. They are not here LEGALLY. They don't have the "rights" they're demanding.

Yet these same individuals will not protest in the streets of their OWN countries, where they are LEGAL, DEMANDING the same "rights" from their government. Instead they run like the cowards they are.

It's time to take this country back from those cowards AND the cowards in Washington who condone their illegal trespass in this country.
That's also what really gets me. The sheer numbers that flood across our southern border everyday, why the heck can't they get together and work to CHANGE their own country??? Seems pretty darn lazy to me, to sneak into another country & drain the resources & tax dollars of hardworking, LEGAL citizens.

Instead of crying & complaining how rough it is in their homeland, why not DO something to change it? Don't tell me there isn't ample natural resources & enough land in Mexico to make it a decent country, nor the numbers to rise up,revolt, & male their homeland into what they wish it to be. Is it just easier to invade the US ??

Another question: So, now what can WE do, as American citizens, besides complain on a message board????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,915,618 times
Reputation: 7177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

What school district do you live in (you don't have to disclose it if you don't want to - but if you do it can help pinpoint the exact circumstances of your area)? Does NYS have a "Robin Hood" program where the wealthier school districts give money to poorer school districts?

"One can't lay claim that a finite number of illegals live in a certain school district. Enrollment is always in flux -- people moving in and out. One thing we have happening is an increase in the number of illegal (in this case non-registered with the town) apartments which people are adding to their homes in an effort to offset taxes. We are seeing more children coming into the schools through these as well."

Yes, populations often are in flux. Oftentimes they can be stagnant. In many places populations are already "maxed out" so if there is a larger population, the excess people go somewhere else. Gentrification can cause populations of illegals to decrease.
District irrelevant as this is happening across LI, some areas have been feeling the impact for longer periods of time, others, like mine, not as long. We are still at the 'growing pains' stage.

NYS redistributes school taxes; not quite the Robin Hood scenario seen in Vermont where they have donor and receiver districts, however we receive change back for the dollars we send up. A fair portion of school tax money received go into the big city school systems -- such as NYC, Rochester, etc.

Areas such as mine can't gentrify as they haven't gone downhill, like the area I was born in -- The Bronx. Many of us are fighting to prevent our communities from taking such a spiral. Our school district residents include everyone from billionaires to single mothers struggling to make ends meet. This isn't a white/brown/black/yellow issue. It's a greenback issue.

As has been pointed out in other threads, my town borders an affluent area whose residents have developed a need for Hispanic lawn crews, questionable contractors, and maids. As long as they create a demand for cheap, foreign labor, the rest of us have to worry about neighboring houses becoming rental flophouses for the cheap labor.

Why should anyone tolerate that?

It's easy to be supportive of illegal aliens if your community isn't being over run or if you have enough money to situate yourself someplace which they will never afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,915,618 times
Reputation: 7177
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
That's also what really gets me. The sheer numbers that flood across our southern border everyday, why the heck can't they get together and work to CHANGE their own country??? Seems pretty darn lazy to me, to sneak into another country & drain the resources & tax dollars of hardworking, LEGAL citizens.

Instead of crying & complaining how rough it is in their homeland, why not DO something to change it? Don't tell me there isn't ample natural resources & enough land in Mexico to make it a decent country, nor the numbers to rise up,revolt, & male their homeland into what they wish it to be. Is it just easier to invade the US ??

Another question: So, now what can WE do, as American citizens, besides complain on a message board????
Write your elected officials, participate in protests and most importantly:

VOTE IN NOVEMBER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top