U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2010, 11:12 PM

3,951 posts, read 2,048,593 times

Advertisements

I wonder if people will actually sue their local law enforcement agency. I'd like to see that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's easy to be supportive of illegal aliens if your community isn't being over run or if you have enough money to situate yourself someplace which they will never afford.
Exactly.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:17 PM

3,146 posts, read 5,123,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I don't pay school tax. I am not going to support the little suckers. They aren't my future.
What state are you in? What are the taxation laws like?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 PM

3,858 posts, read 3,908,350 times

Old 07-28-2010, 11:21 PM

326 posts, read 243,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent70 View Post
I have read both case in depth along with several others (United States v. Salinas-Calderon, United States v. Di Re) ect ect

Prior to Gonzalez V City of Peoria there was no real precedence set in respect to the violation of civil provisions in the INA. However it has been stated by both the Ninth Circuit and Tenth Circuit courts that congress never sought to preempt the states authority to make arrests for both criminal and civil violations of the INA
That is plain wrong. There haven't been rulings on civil provisions.

Can you explain the De Canas test?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 PM

SoEdible: Apartment complex owners have to pay property taxes. Where do they get the money? Rent. Illegals do pay less rent then many homeowners pay in property taxes, but nonetheless they do pay rent money. Also the State of Texas gets money from sales taxes. When illegals buy "luxury" goods (in reality most items on the market are "luxury," including fast food), they pay sales taxes.

The Houston Independent School District is geographically large. While it has large numbers of low income residents, it also has a very high tax base. Also its overall population is decreasing. I know there are large pockets of illegals that live in the district, but the district isn't in crisis mode. The illegals are already here, and the district population is decreasing anyway.

"Also, many undocumented people take so much out of the government, those people have kids sitting in the schools on free and reduced lunch and just receiving US education. You responses are full of excuses." What excuses? What I am telling you is that "burgeoning illegals" affect specific school districts (i.e. specific groups of people) during certain periods of time, not everyone equally during all times. If you want to tell "the illegals are overtaking the schools" to a Joe Somebody who is seeing schools in his district close right and left due to a lack of students, you need to show how it's happening to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
How many undocumented residents do you know down there that own there home in comparison to those that don't and rent or live in apartments? How are they "indirectly" property taxpayers? Also, many undocumented people take so much out of the government, those people have kids sitting in the schools on free and reduced lunch and just receiving US education. You responses are full of excuses.
If this is across Long Island, then why not show a particular district as an example so people outside of Long Island can understand what is happening?

"It's easy to be supportive of illegal aliens if your community isn't being over run or if you have enough money to situate yourself someplace which they will never afford." - This is why when people talk about schools being overrun, they need to show examples of where this is happening and how this is happening, so that people in unaffected areas can understand the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
District irrelevant as this is happening across LI, some areas have been feeling the impact for longer periods of time, others, like mine, not as long. We are still at the 'growing pains' stage.

NYS redistributes school taxes; not quite the Robin Hood scenario seen in Vermont where they have donor and receiver districts, however we receive change back for the dollars we send up. A fair portion of school tax money received go into the big city school systems -- such as NYC, Rochester, etc.

Areas such as mine can't gentrify as they haven't gone downhill, like the area I was born in -- The Bronx. Many of us are fighting to prevent our communities from taking such a spiral. Our school district residents include everyone from billionaires to single mothers struggling to make ends meet. This isn't a white/brown/black/yellow issue. It's a greenback issue.

As has been pointed out in other threads, my town borders an affluent area whose residents have developed a need for Hispanic lawn crews, questionable contractors, and maids. As long as they create a demand for cheap, foreign labor, the rest of us have to worry about neighboring houses becoming rental flophouses for the cheap labor.

Why should anyone tolerate that?

It's easy to be supportive of illegal aliens if your community isn't being over run or if you have enough money to situate yourself someplace which they will never afford.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
SoEdible: Apartment complex owners have to pay property taxes. Where do they get the money? Rent. Illegals do pay less rent then many homeowners pay in property taxes, but nonetheless they do pay rent money. Also the State of Texas gets money from sales taxes. When illegals buy "luxury" goods (in reality most items on the market are "luxury," including fast food), they pay sales taxes.

The Houston Independent School District is geographically large. While it has large numbers of low income residents, it also has a very high tax base. Also its overall population is decreasing. I know there are large pockets of illegals that live in the district, but the district isn't in crisis mode. The illegals are already here, and the district population is decreasing anyway.

"Also, many undocumented people take so much out of the government, those people have kids sitting in the schools on free and reduced lunch and just receiving US education. You responses are full of excuses." What excuses? What I am telling you is that "burgeoning illegals" affect specific school districts (i.e. specific groups of people) during certain periods of time, not everyone equally during all times. If you want to tell "the illegals are overtaking the schools" to a Joe Somebody who is seeing schools in his district close right and left due to a lack of students, you need to show how it's happening to him.

If this is across Long Island, then why not show a particular district as an example so people outside of Long Island can understand what is happening?

"It's easy to be supportive of illegal aliens if your community isn't being over run or if you have enough money to situate yourself someplace which they will never afford." - This is why when people talk about schools being overrun, they need to show examples of where this is happening and how this is happening, so that people in unaffected areas can understand the issue.
Keywords "apartment owners." Not undocumented residents. You are really trying.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 PM

In many communities specific apartments tend to house clusters of illegals, and likewise specific apartments typically do not house illegals. In particular some apartments do not adequately do criminal background checks and only care about whether the rent is paid on time. Apartment owners who are illegal immigrants pay rent that sustains many of those apartment complexes.

Also whether the apartment owners are legal or illegal, they still have to pay rent, yes? It's not like being illegal is a "get out of rent free" card. The apartments that do house illegals tend to have lower prices and units may have more people per unit than usual. Nonetheless, the illegals "pay into the school district" so they are qualified to receive scool district services.

Quote:
Keywords "apartment owners." Not undocumented residents. You are really trying.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 PM

LOL Why are you trying so hard? You are making no points to me, you keep saying things that I already know that have NOTHING to do with illegal immigration.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
LOL Why are you trying so hard? You are making no points to me, you keep saying things that I already know that have NOTHING to do with illegal immigration.
I don't have to make points with you. All I have to do is intellectually defeat anything that erroneously challenges the valid points I make. All I have to do is intellectually defeat your responses to my posts.

And they do have to do with illegal immigration. Whether illegals pay taxes or not into the school district, how increased populations affect certain districts and how they don't, etc... that is all valid to illegal immigration. SoEdible, illegal immigration affects different people in different ways. When people talk about how illegals are "flooding the schools" they need to show where this is happening, and how. It is not "common sense" as many communities are seeing schools closing, etc.

To put it this way: I am not affected by a flood of illegals in my community, so show me how this is happening in your community and show me why I should care about illegal immigration in your community. Show me the beef. Tell me specifics so I can determine how illegal immigration is affecting your community specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration