U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Arizona
12,734 posts, read 7,352,730 times
Reputation: 6690

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
My .02¢,

AZ never expected to write the entire SB1070 into law. It was made purposely controversial (racial profiling on the 1st release) to gain Federal attention, MSM and public focus on the problem.

It is a win/win for AZ, they succeeded.
It's a lose, lose for Arizona and a Win Win for Gov. Jan Brewer. SB1070 took all the real issues that Arizona faces off the table. We have a massive state budget deficit and no plan to fix it. We rank 48th out of 50 in education. We have the highest housing foreclosure rate in the nation. More than half the mortgages in the state are under water. Our unemployment rate is terrible. The tourist industry, which is the major industry, is in the toilet. Resort hotels are closing faster than a yard sale on Monday. The city and county tax revenues are down 38%. Produce is rotting in the fields because Hispanic workers are afraid to come to the fields and pick. Irregardless of what many say, the truth is no white man can effectively work in the hot sun when it's 110 degrees. Mexicans are aclimated to the heat.

Governor Brewer wins because she has succeeded in getting the voting public to take their eye off the ball and focus on an emotional issue rather than the real issues that face the state and elected government should focus on. Nobody running for office in the state even mentions budget, employment, education, tax base or any of the things that matter. Only illegal immigration. Gov. Brewer was an ineffective, partisan administrator, with very low public approval and no solutions, at best before SB1070. Now some are calling for her to run for president. The situation and Gov. Brewer are the height of absurdity in my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Texas
2,847 posts, read 1,849,815 times
Reputation: 1741
wow the hate is unreal. what an unhappy person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 AM
 
17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Reputation: 8519
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Oh thats a real cute analogy...however illegal immigrants are not taking over our houses.
That's why it's called an analogy. Sorry that it was lost on you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl
Most of them are hard working people who even own their own houses and pay taxes, and have a lot of consumer buying power.
So do/are a lot of people in the world. Should we just fling open the borders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl
And if I have to give a little to help someone out-no matter where they are from I do not have a problem with that because I'm don't have the hate and anger in my heart such as people like you seem to.

The problem is that you appear to have too much heart, not enough logic/knowledge of consequences.

[quote=phoenixscorpiogirlAnd If the border had been sealed years ago-(with a Republican in office I might add) we wouldn't have so many problems today. The rate of illegals crossing the border is actually less now that it had been 2 or 3 years ago.[/Quote]

Don't care about Republican or Democrat. The rate of illegal crossings is only down because the economy is down. BOTH employers AND illegals who flaunt the laws and feel entitled to live here should be targeted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl
I realize people are upset and angry about the economy so illegal aliens are being made the scapegoats for all our nations ills, from gangs to the economy to whatever else you can imagine. They are an easy group to pick on just like people on welfare were about 10 years ago...when Newt Gringwich wanted to kick people off welfare and put their children in orphanages.....
Get your torches and let the witch hunting begin!
Nice bit of hyperbole. It's easy toavoid rational debate on the issue when you think anyone who is against illegal immigration "hates" illegal immigrants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 10:02 AM
 
61 posts, read 58,501 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
That is plain wrong. There haven't been rulings on civil provisions.

Can you explain the De Canas test?

Prove it! I have given many examples here and within other threads, I admit that i never heard of the De Canas Test prior to today, but now that i have read it my opinion and proof still stands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 AM
 
2,106 posts, read 1,137,535 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Great more fuel tossed on the anti-liberal fire for the conservatives. Glad to see it! We WILL take back this country one way or the other!
Here's a little clue for you -- there is no "taking back America" because it belongs to all of us and we have a representative government, not a single-party dictatorship. Maybe you're living in the wrong country if you're looking for single-party control. Perhaps Iran would suit you better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Benicar: Not everybody's broke. In some states they really are broke. In Texas there have been some budget issues, but illegal immigration into schools hasn't lead to population increases lately and the school districts aren't hemorrhaging that much. In Houston almost all of the extra schools have already been built.

And as for illegals and taxpayer, in TX property taxes pay for schools, and illegals are indirectly property taxpayers, so they are "paying" into the system.
Are illegal aliens “indirectly” paying between $7,000 and $14,000 per year per child? I think not. Did you even bother to read the alarming report on the link provided? This is not an isolated issue. It’s a national travesty.

Illegals are now living in every state in this country, with a high percentage enrolling 2 or more children per household in our public schools. Consequently, they have created huge budget deficits, overcrowded schools, and have lowered the general standard of education. I’m sorry, but OUR children deserve better. They certainly shouldn’t suffer for the sake of children whose parents hold no allegiance to this country, and have no respect for our laws. Even if “some” are paying taxes, it is but a drop in the bucket compared to the costs incurred by U.S. taxpayers.

We didn’t have 20+ million illegals living in our country when Plyler v. Doe was presented to the Supreme Court. And, unlike now, we had a manageable number of illegal alien children attending our schools. Despite the solvency of select school districts, we, as a nation, can no longer afford to provide a tax-funded education and the myriad other benefits and services illegal aliens receive while living in our country in flagrant violation of our laws.

Again, I ask, why should U.S. taxpayers assume this unnecessary burden? Why do we have a moral obligation to foot the bill for untold millions who have no legal right to live in this country? We are being used and abused, and I, for one, am sick of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Here's a little clue for you -- there is no "taking back America" because it belongs to all of us and we have a representative government, not a single-party dictatorship. Maybe you're living in the wrong country if you're looking for single-party control. Perhaps Iran would suit you better?
Correction: This country belongs to all citizens. Illegal aliens are not citizens, nor do they have congressional representation (at least legally they don’t). We have every right to oppose the presence of millions of foreign interlopers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 AM
 
2,106 posts, read 1,137,535 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Are illegal aliens “indirectly” paying between $7,000 and $14,000 per year per child? I think not. Did you even bother to read the alarming report on the link provided? This is not an isolated issue. It’s a national travesty.

Illegals are now living in every state in this country, with a high percentage enrolling 2 or more children per household in our public schools. Consequently, they have created huge budget deficits, overcrowded schools, and have lowered the general standard of education. I’m sorry, but OUR children deserve better. They certainly shouldn’t suffer for the sake of children whose parents hold no allegiance to this country, and have no respect for our laws. Even if “some” are paying taxes, it is but a drop in the bucket compared to the costs incurred by U.S. taxpayers.

We didn’t have 20+ million illegals living in our country when Plyler v. Doe was presented to the Supreme Court. And, unlike now, we had a manageable number of illegal alien children attending our schools. Despite the solvency of select school districts, we, as a nation, can no longer afford to provide a tax-funded education and the myriad other benefits and services illegal aliens receive while living in our country in flagrant violation of our laws.

Again, I ask, why should U.S. taxpayers assume this unnecessary burden? Why do we have a moral obligation to foot the bill for untold millions who have no legal right to live in this country? We are being used and abused, and I, for one, am sick of it.
We shouldn't accept it and if states like AZ would enforce the laws that are already on the books for dealing with the employers of illegals (versus screaming like babies at the Fed and anyone who disagrees with stupidity like this latest AZ law), there would be a lot less motivation for illegals to come here. But we don't want to "hurt" business. So here we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Texas
2,847 posts, read 1,849,815 times
Reputation: 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Correction: This country belongs to all citizens. Illegal aliens are not citizens, nor do they have congressional representation (at least legally they don’t). We have every right to oppose the presence of millions of foreign interlopers.
Your concept is foreign to a lot of posters here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
 
3,847 posts, read 3,160,344 times
Reputation: 2437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Here's a little clue for you -- there is no "taking back America" because it belongs to all of us and we have a representative government, not a single-party dictatorship. Maybe you're living in the wrong country if you're looking for single-party control. Perhaps Iran would suit you better?
Regardless of what you say the next 2 elections(This Nov. and the next Pres. Election) will determine that. Many Obama supporters have changed their minds and felt that they have been lied to.

Obama does NOT truly represent America any more than the Right wing does. Obama is not a moderate, he is an extreme Liberal. Clinton was a moderate. Obama is trying to FORCE his agenda and his poll numbers reflect what Americans think of him. Obama might be qualified to be a host on The View but he's not worthy of higher office.

He needs to concentrate on the Economy, not helping Illegal Alien Criminals, Wall Street and Big Bank Bonuses and his next campaign. When he gets the average Americans back to work then He might have a chance, until then more Hope and Change BS is helping no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top