U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,138,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Correction: This country belongs to all citizens. Illegal aliens are not citizens, nor do they have congressional representation (at least legally they don’t). We have every right to oppose the presence of millions of foreign interlopers.
Are we willfully omitting context now? Or did you have a comprehension hiccup?

He was speaking of libs v. conservatives in that post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Your concept is foreign to a lot of posters here.
That concept is one most Americans agree with. Liberals included.

So it was hardly "profound". Plus Benicar took that poster out of context to score points, and VOILA, they got some from you.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Regardless of what you say the next 2 elections(This Nov. and the next Pres. Election) will determine that. Many Obama supporters have changed their minds and felt that they have been lied to.

Obama does NOT truly represent America any more than the Right wing does. Obama is not a moderate, he is an extreme Liberal. Clinton was a moderate. Obama is trying to FORCE his agenda and his poll numbers reflect what Americans think of him. Obama might be qualified to be a host on The View but he's not worthy of higher office.

He needs to concentrate on the Economy, not helping Illegal Alien Criminals, Wall Street and Big Bank Bonuses and his next campaign. When he gets the average Americans back to work then He might have a chance, until then more Hope and Change BS is helping no one.
You don't speak for Obama voters. Good grief.

Y'all need to rename your party the Crystal Ball Party.

Just remember -- y'all made all kinds of predictions which never came to pass. Like "Obama will never be elected"; "Brown being elected is going to stop the Health Care Bill!"; and now of course, you are predicting wins in multiple, future elections. It's hysterical.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Are you deliberately attempting to inflame? If so, you are barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps YOU should re-read the post you responded to with a bit more comprehension. He was referring to “taking back” our country from invaders. After all, that is the issue at hand, is it not?
You're wrong. He went out of his way to insult liberals and then whined (as usual) about "taking our country back" One of Palin's; Bachmann's, et al favorite tools for demagoguery. They use that phrase all the time and they aren't talking about illegals when they do. Gimme a break.

Inflame? You know what I consider inflaming? A handful of reactionaries who are currently spamming the wrong forum with this topic and going after any and all people who disagree with them like a pack of slavering dogs.

All these threads need to be merged and put into the immigration forum where they belong.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,139,160 times
Happily, the other States who want a similar law (20), will move forward with their plans to eradicate their States from this menace of illegal alien scourging American resources. This was not a defeat, merely a pre-emptive clarification and inevitable resolve to deal with illegals raping this Country. America will win, as always.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 PM

26,222 posts, read 14,105,516 times
I have taken my own advice and am reading through this ruling. This is a 36 page PDF file. This really doesn't need to be 36 pages. I think they make it that long to keep people from reading and understanding it.

There also needs to be a law that prohibits the use of prior lawsuits as a basis in making court judgments. Existing law should be the only criteria.

Section 2B of SB1070 requires officers to make a reasonable attempt, when practicable, to determine an individual’s immigration status during any lawful stop, detention, or arrest where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is unlawfully present in the United States. It also requires that all persons who are arrested have their immigration status verified prior to release.

The fed argues that this section is preempted because it will result in the harassment of lawfully present aliens and will burden federal resources and impede federal enforcement and policy priorities.

Regarding harrasment...

The United States asserts that mandatory determination of immigration status for all arrestees “conflicts with federal law because it necessarily imposes substantial burdens on lawful immigrants in a way that frustrates the concern of Congress for nationally-uniform rules governing the treatment of aliens throughout the country – rules designed to ensure ‘our traditional policy of not treating aliens as a thing apart.’”

I say check everybody. Don't we have to give driver licenses or some form of ID now?

Regarding over-burdening federal resources for immigration checks...

Requiring Arizona law enforcement officials and agencies to determine the immigration status of every person who is arrested burdens lawfully-present aliens because their liberty will be restricted while their status is checked.

Under Section 2(B) of S.B. 1070, all arrestees will be required to prove their immigration status to the satisfaction of state authorities, thus increasing the intrusion of police presence into the lives of legally-present aliens (and even United States citizens), who will necessarily be swept up by this requirement.

There's nothing about the ruling on Section 2B that says it's unlawful. This is based on only the possibility that federal resources would be overburdened (and so what if they are).

There was also a wording discrepancy where the judge interpreted a couple of sentences differently than Arizona intended.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:24 PM

26,222 posts, read 14,105,516 times
Section 3 of SB1070 provides that “a person is guilty of willful failure to complete or carry an alien registration document if the person is in violation of [8 U.S.C. §§] 1304(e) or 1306(a),” federal statutes that require aliens to carry documentation of registration and penalize the willful failure to register.

The United States argues that Section 3 is preempted because it interferes with comprehensive federal alien registration law, seeks to criminalize unlawful presence, and will result in the harassment of aliens.

While Section 3 does not create additional registration requirements, the statute does aim to create state penalties and lead to state prosecutions for violation of the federal law. Although the alien registration requirements remain uniform, Section 3 alters the penalties established by Congress under the federal registration scheme. Section 3 stands as an obstacle to the uniform, federal registration scheme and is therefore an impermissible attempt by Arizona to regulate alien registration. See Hines, 312 U.S. at 67.

Again - harassment of legal aliens is used as a problem. And the difference in penalty is said to supercede federal law.

You can see the weak positions that the fed makes that was upheld.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:43 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,948,605 times
Legal immigrants should be all too happy to co operate if stopped. Many of them want the illegals out of here. If I am asked for ID, I show it, and I am on my way. No fanfare, no martyr shirt.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:47 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,961,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Legal immigrants should be all too happy to co operate if stopped. Many of them want the illegals out of here. If I am asked for ID, I show it, and I am on my way. No fanfare, no martyr shirt.
Do you carry proof of citizenship with you? Should everybody?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,139,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Either we are a nation of laws or we are not.
Citizens of another country are not allowed to peacefully "reclaim"..
Our land.Im not a guest and im not an immigrant.
Much of my family has been here hundreds of years.
Maybe a quick search on the Treaty of Guadalupe and the Gadsden..
Purchase will enlighten you on our "Theft" from Mexico.
Seems a majority of those advocating for illegal immigration remain ignorant of fact, love rewriting history and then passing on to those who are too lazy to become educated with reality. Thank you for reminding them to crack a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or