U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-29-2010, 04:03 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,139,789 times
Reputation: 453

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
But the illegal immigrant daddy's not getting free lunch. And if your example American had kids, they would be getting free lunch. So the playing field is level in that way.
I've read your posts over the months but this has got to be the absolute most ridiculous of all. "Daddy gets from baby". Daddy get's tax free income, Dadddy gets free medical, Daddy gets free housing, Daddy gets more than the average WORKING American that is on the books as they cannot qualify for "help" yet illegal Daddy does. Geez, get your "Daddy" facts straight.

Last edited by getout; 07-29-2010 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2010, 04:18 PM
 
4,280 posts, read 7,896,320 times
Reputation: 1552
Getout: No. Jayarcy's post was trying to say "illegals get benefits that many very poor Americans don't get" - but he chose a bad form of comparison: "impoverished child going to school who is an illegal or son/daughter of one" vs. "working American man who is not in a K-12 school"

If he had compared "working American man who is not in a K-12 school" vs. an adult illegal immigrant in terms of food stamps, it would have been a fair point.

Now...
1. "Daddy gets from baby" - As Snopes reports: snopes.com: Just One State - Cost of Illegals in Los Angeles

The welfare illegals typically get not related to school costs are:
* Pre-1996 AFDC from US-born children
* Food stamps
A poor American father would have qualified for the pre-1996 AFDC, and he under most circumstances should qualify for food stamps

"Daddy get's tax free income" - Tax free income can happen if an employer pays under the table. But even jobs that some legal Americans do deal in cash only so the feds don't tax - i.e. the shrimping industry in the Gulf operated on a cash only basis: Fishermen caught in a BP compensation quandary | Deepwater Horizon | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

3. "Dadddy gets free housing" - In terms of state programs, depends on the state; some states have court orders that force them to accept illegals - Illegals aren't allowed to get Section 8

4. "Daddy gets more than the average WORKING American that is on the books as they cannot qualify for "help" yet illegal Daddy does. " - Which illegals? Who is the average working American?

You asked me to "get your "Daddy" facts straight" - I just did. My preceding post is not close to "the absolute most ridiculous of all."

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I've read your posts over the months but this has got to be the absolute most ridiculous of all. "Daddy gets from baby". Daddy get's tax free income, Dadddy gets free medical, Dadddy gets free housing, Daddy gets more than the average WORKING American that is on the books as they cannot qualify for "help" yet illegal Daddy does. Geez, get your "Daddy" facts straight.

Last edited by Vicman; 07-29-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,139,789 times
Reputation: 453
I have NOT met ONE illegal alien who does not get assistance, free medical, some type of social service AND works under the table. I have met MANY POOR Americans just over the "poverty line" who can't get squat. I have seen and BEEN an American who pays high premiums for insurance turned away from medical care because the emergency room was busting with illegal aliens with the sniffles taking up far more needed chairs for Americans. Illegal aliens get FAR more than Americans on MY dime. Your statistics mean nothing when I see it everyday. I invite you and every other pro-illegal alien to go and live in a border town. Tell me who gets what? *shakes head at the absolute lunacy and ignorance of those still promoting illegal immigration* Wake up and do the right thing for your Country if your Country is America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 PM
 
Location: North Phoenix
1,128 posts, read 1,406,435 times
Reputation: 687
Just because there are people who try to understand the plight of illegal immigarnts in America and want a solution that's economical and humane, it does not mean we are "for illegal immigration". There are a lot of different things to consider here, it's not all black or white- but it's obvious most on here just want to categorize all illegals and throw them away. What's wrong with finding a sensible solution that can be beneficial to both sides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 06:29 PM
 
Location: North Phoenix
1,128 posts, read 1,406,435 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
That's why it's called an analogy. Sorry that it was lost on you.

And sorry that my criticism of your ridiculous analogy was lost on you!



So do/are a lot of people in the world. Should we just fling open the borders?
There you go again, overreacting......



The problem is that you appear to have too much heart, not enough logic/knowledge of consequences.

I know plenty, but the ole round em up and send em back! philosophy is not working, nor will it ever. Especially if they do not get the border sealed.




Nice bit of hyperbole. It's easy toavoid rational debate on the issue when you think anyone who is against illegal immigration "hates" illegal immigrants!
Well, there is a lot of hate on here-people that group all illegals together as drug dealers and murderers doesn't sound like they are giving them much love! And if that's not enough, they have to start on the kids, stop giving them free school lunch! let them starve! Kids are innocent and should not be picked on, but on here, anyone is fair game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 06:40 PM
 
346 posts, read 616,637 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
What happened that Mexico became such a hell hole ? I don't recall all of this condemnation back in the 1960's. Mexico was Mexico, and my image was one of a country that had a lot going for it. did I miss something ? (drugs, and corruption aside)
I forgot where I saw this, but there was a graph showing how drug use has increased recently in the past few years. Mexico realizes that many Americans like their drugs - the more demand, the more powerful these cartels become.

I may be oversimplifying, but this is a huge part of the problem of why such a wonderful country has been desecrated by drugs.

And for some reason, many people seem to think legalizing pot would help - they forget there's cocaine, heroine, meth, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM
 
1,443 posts, read 2,150,514 times
Reputation: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Just because there are people who try to understand the plight of illegal immigarnts in America and want a solution that's economical and humane, it does not mean we are "for illegal immigration". There are a lot of different things to consider here, it's not all black or white- but it's obvious most on here just want to categorize all illegals and throw them away. What's wrong with finding a sensible solution that can be beneficial to both sides?
There is a solution:
1. seal the border
2. deport the criminal illegals

Has nothing to do with hate, prejudice, dislike of hispanics/mexicans or other nationalities. It is black and white - if you are an illegal in mexico, if caught you will be arrested and deported. if you steal a carton of cigarettes, you will be arrested and jailed or fined or both - so you are wrong - it IS black and white - if you are illegally in this county - you are to be deported. Period. (not thrown away - returned from where you came from)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,585,701 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
That's funny because I know many people from Mexico as well as other Latino countries and they are very kind people. Some were people from work that we became friends with and spent a lot of time together. When I needed something they were always there to help me out.
There may be some that take advantage of the system if they can, your right, but ther's many more Americans doing just that.
And as for these much coveted jobs that everyone keeps talking about...well, I don't know a lot of Americans that want to work as dishwashers or landscapers. I did landscaping for 4 years back around 2000, and anyone could have worked there, they were always hiring, but I think besides me and the other 2 supervisors, just about everyone else was Mexican, with a few Iraqis and Native Americans thrown in. So to say that American jobs are being stolen is BS, the only jobs we are losing are the ones being outsourced to other countries! Is that the illegal immmigrants fault too?
These people are already here, if they were just made legal they could be paying taxes and join our (stressed out) military and maybe actually save us money in the long run. And yeah, the border needs to be sealed like I said earlier.
1. You are right, there are already people here who are taking advantage of assistance in the United States. The problem though is that they are LEGALLY here. Why would we be OK with millions of people coming into the country illegally to do the same thing? Isn't that retarded? Just allowing people to add to the problem?
2. I know many people who are from Mexico that are very kind as well, that doesn't take away from the fact that they are taking advantage of US food or social welfare assistance or just the fact that they are here secretely undocumented. That is nice and all that they were there for you and helped you out, that doesn't make them legal.
3. A lot of undocumented people are already paying taxes, so making them legal won't matter. Also, making them "legal" will provide them with other opportunities and access to things in the US and their states that they were not eligible for before their amnesty, which only adds to the taxing of the systems in which they were already causing.
4. Illegal immigrants aren't just washing dishes and doing landscaping work. Where have you been? This is an old myth. I have worked side-by-side with undocumented people in restaurants during my high school years and college and there are other places they are working. Such as factories, hotels, car repair shops, cleaning services, working in places owned by undocumented workers, construction work. I'm not trying to insult you on this, but you are ignorant to think that they are not "stealing" jobs from legal residents. You are very ignorant for that, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,585,701 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
How did the Southwest "belong" to the Mexicans? If the US "stole" the land from the Natives, so did Mexico.

Again, Mexican Indians do not equal Native American Indians. Mexico had a problem with American Indians raiding their settlements in the Southwest because the Southwest WAS NOT MEXICO's to take, but through conquest and settlement.


And like the poster above says, your analogy is preposterous. Acquisition of land through conquest and war, especially a couple of centuries ago, was not illegal. Indeed, it was the norm. Name any civilization on earth that hasn't had territorial disputes and borders meted out by war and conflict?
Exactly and the funny thing is that the Native Americans in that area are in NO relation to the Natives that are in Mexico today and who are the ones coming here undocumented. So, they have NO claim over this area. Present day Mexicans have no relation with the Native Americans who inhabited the lands of former Mexico that is now US territory.

We need to get some historian who is very educated on the history of Mexico and US to clear all of this up.

Someone needs to get on television and clear this sh-it up. The media is the direct route to brainwashing people anyway, so maybe we can use them to actually spread some truth so that these pro-illegal immigration people will stop trying to justify their being here as some reclaiming of land.

The sad thing about all of this (including the drug cartels having control in Mexico) is that Mexico is a BEAUTIFUL country, but it is going and gone to the dumps. It's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,585,701 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
If you want to get mad at this whole issue, get mad at the people responsible for ignoring it. Congress! They have long failed to deal with it, right now, it is the Repubs failing. So get mad at the appropriate people, please.
You're right. I am really thinking about organizing a visit to Washington to protest that our federal government has failed to address the issue of undocumented immigration. I'm not wanting to go to ask for immigration reform because I have no support of that because it is just an ignorant solution to illegal immigration. I'm wanting to go to tell them that we see what they are up to and we are not OK with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top