U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:33 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,804,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I find that VERY hard to believe. How many illegals were respondents? If you ever watch Washington Journal on CSPAN, or read the comments following any article pertaining to illegal immigration, there is overwhelming opposition to illegals remaining here. I also know for a fact DREAMies bombard online polls due to their desperation to have the DREAM Act passed.

We had the same results on City Data:

View Poll Results: Are You For Amnesty For The Illegals
yes 24 10.76%
no 184 82.51%
other 6 2.69%
not sure 9 4.04%
Voters: 223.

Are You For Amnesty For The Illegals
You question the validity of a scientific CNN poll, yet you embrace internet based comments and polls? You never cease to amaze me with your hypocrisy. Do you realize that in that same poll, the majority who wanted some illegal immigrant to stay with conditions also supported the AZ law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 01:23 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,854,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
You question the validity of a scientific CNN poll, yet you embrace internet based comments and polls? You never cease to amaze me with your hypocrisy. Do you realize that in that same poll, the majority who wanted some illegal immigrant to stay with conditions also supported the AZ law?
Give it a rest. I guess we’ll have to wait for the next failure of CIR and your beloved DREAM Act, won’t we? And, nothing is more hypocritical than demonizing those who support the rule of law, while living in a country illegally.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:36 PM

32,992 posts, read 30,252,700 times
Quote:
Give it a rest. I guess we’ll have to wait for the next failure of CIR and your beloved DREAM Act, won’t we? And, nothing is more hypocritical than demonizing those who support the rule of law, while living in a country illegally.
The thing that is funny is that a few think the majority WANT people here that break laws, siphon tax payer money and then mock us.

It's really bizarre.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:37 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,804,252 times
Quote:
Nice intelligent response to my questions.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 PM

1,627 posts, read 2,648,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Do you carry proof of citizenship with you? Should everybody?
It is a law that you must carry proof of i.d. with picture.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 PM

6,533 posts, read 7,599,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Nice intelligent response to my questions.
At least he attempted to answer your question. You, nor any other liberal has bothered answering mine. Why is that? I'm sure it is just an oversight. See posts 42, 90, 185, and 224 before you criticize others.

If I cannot get an answer in this thread I might as well start my own thread posing this same question to liberals. Wonder what kind of responses I'll get then.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:33 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,941,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You could look it up, but here is the question and result from CNN/Opinion Research Corp.

"Creating a program that would allow illegal immigrants already living in the United States for a number of years to stay here and apply to legally remain in this country permanently if they had a job and paid back taxes"

Favor 81% oppose 19%
Did the pollsters ask those people if the illegal was making less than $5,000 or $10,000 a year and only paying an occassional sales tax should they be given amnesty?

What if those answering believed they meant the illegal actually was going to be expected to pay back ALL back taxes they owed, ALL social security taxes, all federal income taxes PLUS all the accumulated fines and interest that an American tax evader would be hit with?

We all know that an illegal living here 10 years and making great money under the table was not paying into social security or federal, state, and local income taxes and is extremely unlikely to have saved up all the money that it would take to pay up all those owed taxes.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:03 PM

2,441 posts, read 5,955,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I'm a black (brown or whatever you want to call it) and I could care less about it becoming more brown, I just don't want people coming here and taking advantage of this country, the states and the cities. If I were the only black person here, but I were having my rights protected, and I knew people were NOT taking advantage of my state or city (where I live) then I could care less about it getting more brown. Once again, pro-illegal immigration people are making this about race, not those of us against it.

I don't care about the color of the USA, I care about opportunity for those who are legally in the position to take a piece of the American pie. I care about my and my family's livelihood, future. I don't give a damn about the color of this country. As long as my family's and my life is the best that it can be, I don't care about color.
How are illegal immigrants taking advantage of this country in a way that you or any other citizen does not? This country is great because people take advantage of the opportunities that they are afforded in this country relative to most other places.

I do not believe that any person is "illegal." The anti-immigrant groups seem to believe that they speak for this country. They do not.

I have extensive Seminole blood and the rest of my family has been in this country since 1767. I have no problems with people getting to this country through whatever means necessary. As long as the people who come here are hardworking and law abiding (our ridiculous immigration laws do not count in my book), people should be able to come on over. Our immigration laws are rooted in oppression. It was okay for hundreds of thousands of Europeans to come over on boats, bring all sorts of diseases over, form street gangs in the big cities, steal land from people who were already here, and then put them on reservations located far away from anything, but it's not acceptable for people to come from other countries and attain the American dream? Ridiculous.

As an African-American, I would think that you would sympathize with the plight of illegal immigrants. Someone else was once in charge of denying African-Americans a piece of the American pie. Who are you to do the same to other folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Race card yet again.
No it can't be that we have a problem with criminals race not important.
No it can't be that we respect legal immigrants who entered legally.( Like my wife)
No it can't be that we are sick of violent criminals from other countries coming here and continueing their crimes only now against fellow americans.
Noooo it can only be about race.
Yep. I will keep throwing it around because racist, anti-immigrants think they're fooling people into why they're against illegal immigrants.

The overwhelming majority of illegal immigrants are NOT criminals. When an immigrant comes here to pick citrus for $6/hour to ensure a better life for their children, I do not consider that illegal behavior. When an immigrant works 18 hours a day to send money back to Mexico to ensure that their children have shoes and food, I do not consider that illegal behavior.

A good number of illegals are probably more honest and better people than many of the citizens of this country.

Just accept that this country is going to turn browner and that English will not be the dominant language everywhere.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:04 AM

1,368 posts, read 1,633,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
A good number of illegals are probably more honest and better people than many of the citizens of this country.

Just accept that this country is going to turn browner and that English will not be the dominant language everywhere.
That's a not accurate. 100% of Illegals are lawbreaking criminals who have no love for our great country and have no aspirations to asimilate into our culture. They are foreign invaders trying to take what is not theirs.

You should be outraged by their success riding the coattails of the black civil right movement and claims they are being prejudiced because of their "race".

As for our country turning "brown" and speaking all spanish. That's called treason. I will relent, however, that they can continue to service my kids at fast-food restuarants.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,188,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
As for our country turning "brown" and speaking all spanish. That's called treason. I will relent, however, that they can continue to service my kids at fast-food restuarants.
I wouldn't do that. Do you even know what they do to the food they make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or