U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 AM

285 posts, read 446,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
The monster under the bed is no longer under the bed. The people need a better plan, and this thing isn't all said and done, by any means. We are just getting started. No one is going to treat our state like a doormat !
Hey hey hey!!! What about California!! We want some of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 AM

43 posts, read 207,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
Please quote the sections of the ruling that support your hyperbole. Here's a link http://www.keytlaw.com/blog/wp-conte...SvsArizona.pdf

Or is this just an emotional response?

An emotional response for a very emotional issue. Not everyone is going to quote the Constitution or case law to prove their point. Some folks simply want to vent. Comprende?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,214,097 times
Having lived in AZ for twelve years, I am willing to speak out and say that their will is not my will, and though the country seems to be dominated by racism, I hope it is also not the will of All Americans.

As for President Obama, we've dealt him a hand from a deck that President Bush had eight years to stack against the American People. He's come to the game fairly, so let him play it.

Naysayers are making issues much older than President Obama's tenure in office, his fault. I have to hope that this is just ignorance on their part, not really understanding that change happens much more slowly. That is especially true when change means teaching people to do things that are contrary to their inherent greed and self-absorption.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:50 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Please quote the sections of the ruling that support your hyperbole. Here's a link http://www.keytlaw.com/blog/wp-conte...SvsArizona.pdf

Or is this just an emotional response?
The ruling makes it illegal for a local police officer to ask an illegal to provide any kind of legal documents. A drivers license in most states is obtained by having to show a birth certificate and other citizenship documents. Now it's against the law according to this judge for an illegal to be asked to show a drivers license because a drivers license is an ID document. No illegal is to be asked for identification documents.

It would be racist to profile and target only American citizens - what if the cop isn't sure you're a citizen and makes the mistake of asking you to provide some kind of ID?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:53 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
In fact if a local cop sees a big bag of white powder on my dashboard, they had better realize that's a federal law they're messing with if they try to test it for cocaine. They can't enforce federal laws now can they?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 AM

17,015 posts, read 11,381,491 times
Quote:
Why don't you explain why the ruling is incorrect? Based on the law (Constitution, case law, and common law) please provide evidence to support your position.

Your original post did not deal with the facts or merits of the case.
By legal precedent, the state of Rhode Island tried this same issue in 1979 and the courts found in favor of Rhode Island. Therefore the current ruling would be in contrast to legal precedent.

What specific part of the Constitution do you believe precludes an officer from asking for citizenship status?

Why do you believe that I, as a US citizen, am subject to such inquiry, but an illegal (who is not even a citizen) is given an exemption, granting them "super status" of immunity from federal law? Should I, as a citizen, refuse to show identification to a police officer, noting the federal ruling in Arizona, and just tell him to stick it? I know the Chief of Police pretty well, and I am sure that she would make sure that I was not in jail for more than a few minutes. However, I think that citizens will now "follow the new law" (as created by the Arizona judge) and refuse to present ID.

Should I also refuse to show my driver's liscence when preparing to fly? I guess now I can sue all the airlines, as it should be illegal for them to do so.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 AM

18,509 posts, read 27,244,461 times
This ruling was just dumb. I think the judge was just pandering to the media. Wrong wrong wrong.

Arizona isn't preempting any federal law just complimenting it. It sickens me that the illegals have so much sway. hell in university they got scholarships by zip code while I had to compete with everyone from the entire US. Totally wrong.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,945,754 times
If an illegal is driving drunk, and pulled over, he/she still has to produce a license, and pass a sobriety test. The law won't let them "go their way and sin some more". They will be arrested, and taken to jail. I wonder if they will whine about being unable to support their families ? they always use the words "family," and "work." Somehow we are supposed to cry a river because they have a family, and "work hard."

Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 AM

880 posts, read 1,688,014 times
does this mean any illegal who manages to step foot in on USA soil cannot be stopped?If this illegal is stopped will it be called profiling?Illegals want the same deal Cubans have step on US soil you are a citizen.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:15 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,095,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The recent ruling by the Clinton appointed judge regarding the Arizona immigration law has fairly broad reaching implications. It suggests-

1. judicial activism trumps the elected branches of the government

2. voting rights mean little, if anything, if the will of the people cannot be enforced

3. in the Obama administration, the will of foriegn nationals supercede the rights of US citizens

4. When the will of the electorate no longer matters, we are living in an authoritarian state.

The will of the people, which is the basis for our nation, has been superceded and derailed by the opinion of ONE person over that of millions.

Is this the death of the republic?
Can the Obama administration really suggest that they actually represent the US any longer?
havent't you heard? you can cross the border illegally in mexico and get 2 year jail sentences! but you cross here, you get jobs, tax payer money, food stamps, subsidized housing ect ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or