U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
36 posts, read 56,257 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
americans would do those jobs if the employers would pay a fair wage. this is what it boils down too:

if you give them amnesty - food prices skyrocket because they are forced to pay min. wage + benefits

you deport them - food prices skyrocket because they are forced to hire an american citizen and pay him/her a fair wage + benefits.

can you guess which one the majority of america favors? youre leaving out really important facts that destroy your logic sir.
umm... giving the jobs to an american citizen which is what they should do...what's your point and how does that destroy my logic when that was my argument in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2010, 01:01 PM
 
703 posts, read 2,558,156 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
you do realize that them being obese has nothing to do with them coming to this country illegally and taking jobs that would otherwise go to american citizens, right?
con·text

1.the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect: You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context.

2.the set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.


Did you not read the post that was quoted within my response?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 01:03 PM
 
703 posts, read 2,558,156 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
Picking cotton? Who picks cotton by hand anymore???
Wait. . .so out of the whole posting you decide to pick at something as mundane as an EXAMPLE of what menial labor could be? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 01:12 PM
 
181 posts, read 293,534 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
Wait. . .so out of the whole posting you decide to pick at something as mundane as an EXAMPLE of what menial labor could be? Really?
You are the one that used a nonexistant job as an example of what an American won't do.

"Job Americans won't do" is nothing more than BS, smoke and mirrors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 PM
 
Location: #
9,605 posts, read 14,309,402 times
Reputation: 6261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
This is hilarious. They (the media) try to depict undocumented workers in fields as poor slaves. This one undocumented worker has been there for 32 years. They ask the owner how many "Americans" he has hired over the 16 years, he quickly says, "None," as though he has planned that answer since he first found out that CNN was coming to film the "struggle" of undocumented migrant workers. You also have to wonder if he has even let the job availability be known to known migrant workers or if he just goes to the local Home Depot to pick them up.

Oh, I should also mention that in the beginning of the special, the narration contains a little line that goes like this, "The immigrants work long to eat the grapes that YOU will SNACK on later." I had to chuckle at this. The media is a sly devil in the immigration debate. They LOVE to play the sadness and compassion violin that isn't always the truth about undocumented workers. It's very misleading and unfair for the media to present the work of undocumented people like this. It is a false why of brainwashing the viewers into thinking that undocumented people are only doing jobs such as picking grapes.

It's amazing how the media can just serve up this image.
The only way you could truly say that this is misleading is if you yourself have worked as a migrant worker. Otherwise, you really have no credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 01:25 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,142,474 times
Reputation: 453
This is why I watch FOX news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
 
703 posts, read 2,558,156 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
You are the one that used a nonexistant job as an example of what an American won't do.

"Job Americans won't do" is nothing more than BS, smoke and mirrors.
Sheesh, fine it was a poor random off the top of the head guess. How about harvesting broccoli, cauliflower, apples, pears, oranges? There's gotta be fruits and vegetables out there that must be harvested by hand in the summer heat from sun up till sun down where how much you make is determined by how much you picked. You can't tell me that ALL produces are harvested by machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,142,474 times
Reputation: 453
Fields can be harvested by Americans. Work release programs for non violent offenders. We do not need illegal aliens for anything in this Country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,923,670 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
I am willing to bet that all of the menial jobs that you have had, you were paid at least minimum wage, given breaks, and had days off. I know restaurant cooks who work from 9am till 11pm (Sunday thru Thursdays), 9am till 12am (that's not a mistake, 12 am the next morning - Fridays and Saturdays) with only one weekend off a month and only Christmas off during the year. They made only $2000-$2500 a month. Would you do that? Would any American do that? It's way illegal, but that was the ONLY way that the restaurant can stay in business without charging exorbitant prices for 'cheap' food.

How many Americans would work pre-dawn to sunset picking cotton, vegetables, etc. on a farm in 95+F summer? Most would rather sit in their air-conditioned homes and happily accept their welfare and unemployment checks and food stamps.
work a farm 95+ degree summer? Work from 4 am to 9 pm daily? No days off? Sounds like every dairy farmer that I have ever known. Igrew up on a dairy farm. Spare me the lecture about what americans won't do.
Its a lame talking point at best. Employers use illegals so that they can pocket more of the profits. The savings seldom if ever are passed on to the consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 02:04 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,142,474 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
work a farm 95+ degree summer? Work from 4 am to 9 pm daily? No days off? Sounds like every dairy farmer that I have ever known. Igrew up on a dairy farm. Spare me the lecture about what americans won't do.
Its a lame talking point at best. Employers use illegals so that they can pocket more of the profits. The savings seldom if ever are passed on to the consumer.
Very true, and as a farmer who hires only legal residents, or barter (my farm is only 50 acres) when times get tough, I take the hit. Having dealt with the community for over 10 years ensures I get some pretty good deals on what I do not raise. It can be and is being done by local farmers across the Nation. Many are now co-oping, giving those in the "city" ability to work on the farm for food. Win-win. They get the feeling of work and reward, I get my crops done. We do not need illegal aliens for anything in this Country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top