U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:13 PM

216 posts, read 199,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Fields can be harvested by Americans. Work release programs for non violent offenders. We do not need illegal aliens for anything in this Country.
better believe it, its about time these jail birds pay for their stay. I've been saying for years let the inmates do work for their keep.
there is many ways to minimise the so called required foreign workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 02:17 PM

42,335 posts, read 50,002,628 times
I am willing to bet that all of the menial jobs that you have had, you were paid at least minimum wage, given breaks, and had days off. I know restaurant cooks who work from 9am till 11pm (Sunday thru Thursdays), 9am till 12am (that's not a mistake, 12 am the next morning - Fridays and Saturdays) with only one weekend off a month and only Christmas off during the year. They made only $2000-$2500 a month. Would you do that? Would any American do that? It's way illegal, but that was the ONLY way that the restaurant can stay in business without charging exorbitant prices for 'cheap' food.

Um, right off the bat, I can think of hundreds of people I've known who have worked 36 hours in a row with little to no sleep whatsoever for those wages, 80 to100 hours a week...and with much more responsibility and pressure to boot - not to mention risk of injury, disease, and in two cases, even death. For less pay, in fact. Try every single medical resident in this country...there are thousands, but I only know a couple hundred personally.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,104,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am willing to bet that all of the menial jobs that you have had, you were paid at least minimum wage, given breaks, and had days off. I know restaurant cooks who work from 9am till 11pm (Sunday thru Thursdays), 9am till 12am (that's not a mistake, 12 am the next morning - Fridays and Saturdays) with only one weekend off a month and only Christmas off during the year. They made only $2000-$2500 a month. Would you do that? Would any American do that? It's way illegal, but that was the ONLY way that the restaurant can stay in business without charging exorbitant prices for 'cheap' food.

Um, right off the bat, I can think of hundreds of people I've known who have worked 36 hours in a row with little to no sleep whatsoever for those wages, 80 to100 hours a week...and with much more responsibility and pressure to boot - not to mention risk of injury, disease, and in two cases, even death. For less pay, in fact. Try every single medical resident in this country...there are thousands, but I only know a couple hundred personally.
you can count me as one of those who used to work slave hours when i was salaried. 30+ hour shifts when youre a sr IT admin isnt unheard of.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:11 PM

703 posts, read 2,558,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
you can count me as one of those who used to work slave hours when i was salaried. 30+ hour shifts when youre a sr IT admin isnt unheard of.
In both cases of med interns and IT admin, you certainly are NOT making 24K/yr are you? You also have benefits.

RESIDENCY SALARIES in United States at MDsalaries - The Physician Salaries Blog (http://mdsalaries.blogspot.com/2005/10/residency-salaries.html - broken link)

Internal Medicine Residency - Salary and Benefits

Besides, neither of these positions are DEAD end positions, are they? Can a line cook realistically progress beyond what they currently are? Do they have a real future ahead? Quite doubtful and highly improbable.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,390,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
In both cases of med interns and IT admin, you certainly are NOT making 24K/yr are you? You also have benefits.

RESIDENCY SALARIES in United States at MDsalaries - The Physician Salaries Blog (http://mdsalaries.blogspot.com/2005/10/residency-salaries.html - broken link)

Internal Medicine Residency - Salary and Benefits

Besides, neither of these positions are DEAD end positions, are they? Can a line cook realistically progress beyond what they currently are? Do they have a real future ahead? Quite doubtful and highly improbable.
And are you in favor of slave labor in our country again?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 PM

346 posts, read 617,396 times
This is why I cannot stand CNN and think it is utter garbage.
It is the propaganda machine of liberals. They are one of the main perpetrators of "SOB" stories.

Why not show the struggles of unemployed Americans who cannot afford to feed their family?
Why not show the struggles of young adults who recently graduated college and cannot find a job due to the economy?
Why not show the struggles of the American homeless?
Why not show the struggles of African Americans in blighted neighborhoods?
Why not show the struggles of LEGAL CITIZENS.

Why on Earth would we care about illegal aliens being "tired" or "overworked"? ALL OF US ARE TIRED AND OVERWORKED.

I expected better from Anderson Cooper - he seems to be the only "journalist" from CNN that was pretty fair, but he is just another SOB story perp.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 PM

346 posts, read 617,396 times
Oh yeah, and if he had more journalistic integrity, he would focus more on the employers who pay them their shabby wages and how we should rectify the situation by targeting employers who pay such substandard wages, rather than trying to drum up sympathy for the next amnesty.

But no, that is not the way of CNN.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:23 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,594,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illeagle View Post
Absolutely... I am amazed at the fact people don't realize how dumb the whole "they do jobs Americans aren't willing to do" argument happens to be.

1) The people trying to make this argument just sound like slave owners defending this. They're using dirt cheap labor to promote illegal immigration. They're using examples of people who, for the most part, are being paid under the table (illegally). And on top of that they're playing the sympathy card that they're doing these hard labor jobs "for us"? There's plenty of people in America looking for work in their industries and illegals can come in and just land jobs because they're the cheapest labor available -- which brings me to my next point.

2) Who says Americans wouldn't do these jobs? As you said, SoEdible, " You also have to wonder if he has even let the job availability be known to known migrant workers or if he just goes to the local Home Depot to pick them up." It's incredible how simple-minded some people are... do they really think that societal evolution is as simple as an unemployed American taking a job in an industry that has been long dominated by one very specific segment of society for so long?

I don't know if you saw this, but there was/is a challenge by the United Farm Workers in California which challenged unemployed American workers to take over the farming jobs for the harvest season. They were using this to prove a point that unemployed people would not take the opportunity, even in desperation.

How ridiculous is that? So, an electrical engineer is going to take time out of his job search for an $80k salary to go into a seasonal hard labor industry? Or even someone looking for a job in retail? If that's not their industry they're not going to look at that opportunity... that's the way society works, especially when I doubt the wages on these farms are even close to what unemployment pays.

This segment of the workforce has been shifted for so long that the industry is completely dominated by one segment of society. When that happens, the idea of doing hard labor for cheap naturally becomes unappealing to even the most desperate Americans over time because they're less accustomed to it. Illegal immigration is shaping American society, not the other way around... have laws become absolutely meaningless?
Yup, and the media tries to create sympathy for undocumented migrant workers by telling us that we need them so we can get our grapes and tomatoes. Do they really think we give a damn about grapes and tomatoes THAT much when it means that millions of undocumented immigrants are coming across the border, having fifty million kids that we pay for the reduced and free lunch, education and medical for? I would agree to never eat another grape for the rest of my life if it meant that only undocumented people could cut those grapes down and put them in a plastic bag. Communities should boycott produce companies, start community gardens, feed their own people and prove that we don't need these so-called undocumented migrant workers picking our fruit.

It's all an excuse and "talking points" that the pro illegal immigration people use.

We're supposed to be OK with EVERYTHING that is the result of millions of illegal immigrants because of GRAPES? Tomatoes? LOL I can't believe the pro illegal immigration people and the media try to use this.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
How ever their getting paid, or what they do with their money afterwords or pool it...all I know is the communities, at least in Florida, that they habitate, are doing pretty good...driving nice or decent cars....

When I would go to the farms...the workers all looked 'healthy' and 'fit'....for you cannot be starving, weak, and under fed...to do that work...

And moral at these farms seemed as good or better than the moral I often see employees displaying at Wal-Mart....

But I do feel the job enviornment is one most middle class Americans or low middle class, would walk away from in days or hours...

The heat, the bugs, the dirt, the constant stooping or lifting...expecially water melon groves...it would defintatly wear you out if you weren't in shape...

But there are blue collor Americans who could do it...meaning those who already do or work in similuar work enviornments...
And that is why we DO have a guest worker program. I, personally, have no problem with people from Mexico, Guatemala or wherever coming here to work in the fields. If they want to do that, that's their business and their choice. If that is the only job that they can get and are legally qualified to come here and work, then fine. We already have that smart and intelligent system here. A system that allows farm owners to work with the government and other countries to bring in workers. That is why I do not understand all this demand for comprehensive immigration reform. According to some media outlets, President Obama and pro illegal immigration groups, immigration reform is the answer for all of our current illegal immigration problems. How? If most illegal immigrants are poor, uneducated and unskilled, then what are we asking for in regard to them and why? Does the US government want to make it easier for immigrants who are poor and unskilled to come into the country legally? Is this what is best for our country? Can we realistically say that changing immigration laws to make it easier for poor immigrants to come in is the desired result? Where will they work? Dpesn't Obama's immigration reform include amnesty? How is it smart or financialy smart to grant legal status to millions of these people who are impoverished and uneducated? Will they not eventually be eligible and legally able to claim welfare assistance? Hasn't statistics and research shown that poverty stays strong within a family? So, why would we want to give those who are here undocumented the opportunity to have children here who are more than likely going to contribute to the poverty population?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Ever watch the show Dirty Jobs? There ain't one job anywhere at all in the entire U.S. of blasted A that an American somewhere will not do. Fact.

Time for some folks to *plop* pull their heads out of that deep dark cavity.
Good point. I have friends who live on farms, they get up at 5AM to start the day ... because THEY HAVE TO. If most Americans had to go into a field and pick grapes, I'm sure we would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or