U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
You do realize that being obese and overweight is likely a result of eating food that is highly processed and lacks substantive nutrition, right? These highly processed foods are usually quite cheap and inherently unhealthy and difficult for the body to adequately process thus resulting in large fat deposits HENCE leading to obesity and overweight. Think large amount of cheap store brand chips, cookies, soda, $1 meal from McDonalds, etc, as the bulk of one's diet. Why do you think the rate of obesity, diabetes, etc. is so high and prevalent in the lower socio-economic classes? They're only buying and eating the cheap crappy junk food because that's all they can afford.
They are eating though. Anderson's piece reported that they can barely afford food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,096,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
In both cases of med interns and IT admin, you certainly are NOT making 24K/yr are you? You also have benefits.

RESIDENCY SALARIES in United States at MDsalaries - The Physician Salaries Blog (http://mdsalaries.blogspot.com/2005/10/residency-salaries.html - broken link)

Internal Medicine Residency - Salary and Benefits

Besides, neither of these positions are DEAD end positions, are they? Can a line cook realistically progress beyond what they currently are? Do they have a real future ahead? Quite doubtful and highly improbable.
that is not my problem. i educated my self. i am also a hispanic minority. i made well over 24k a year. again, it is not my problem that minorities or mexicans cannot educate themselves like i did.

i went from literally having nothing but the clothes on my back to running my own business, owning my own car, ect ect.

if i can do it, so can they. i went from having nothing to having everything i could ever want.

-edit-

in regards to the line cook, he sure as hell can... provided he isnt a lazy bum! the line cook can use his knowledge and experience to move up to a better position or restaurant. going on that, he can eventually apply himself and go to school to be a chef or some specialty cook. he can then use that knowledge to work at a high paying restaurant or open his own business!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,054,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
They are eating though. Anderson's piece reported that they can barely afford food.
I just do not understand how so many illegals can afford to live in California. I know many LEGAL citizens of the U.S. who cannot afford to live there.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I just do not understand how so many illegals can afford to live in California. I know many LEGAL citizens of the U.S. who cannot afford to live there.
They share a house or residence with others in hopes to have an affordable life and also may be receiving financial assistance. Or they are working a good enough hours combined with a tolerable list of expenses.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:13 PM

8,221 posts, read 9,100,976 times
Quote:
Maybe they shouldn't send so many billions back to Mexico and they COULD eat better? Hard to feel sorry for people who can't even keep enough of their wages to feed themselves. Oh wait...that's what food stamps are for, isn't it??

Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 AM

42,205 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Quote:

We're supposed to be OK with EVERYTHING that is the result of millions of illegal immigrants because of GRAPES? Tomatoes? LOL I can't believe the pro illegal immigration people and the media try to use this.
I'd gladly pay double or triple for grapes and tomatoes if it meant they'd all be gone.

People only see the direct costs - they don't see the indirect costs of having them here.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:54 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'd gladly pay double or triple for grapes and tomatoes if it meant they'd all be gone.

People only see the direct costs - they don't see the indirect costs of having them here.
Amen to that! It is merely propaganda anyway that the cost of produce would go way up. The farmers are just pocketing the profits from illegal labor nothing or very little is being passed unto the consumer.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:11 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Its a myth that illegals save us money at the store. Are the employers of these illegals so knoble as to pass on the cost savings to the consumers?
I really doubt it.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:42 AM

3,359 posts, read 6,346,476 times
The irony is...

maybe their model of survival and upward mobility (ones Americans use to follow)
Is one many of us will be following again...naturalized citizens that is...

Old 07-30-2010, 04:56 PM

229 posts, read 505,994 times
There are also the tax dollars they are not paying and,as for how they live, it has been years but there was a neighborhood I was living in that had some illegal immigrants and they were 10-12 people in one apartment. With that many people sharing space, the cost was negligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or