U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:26 PM

16 posts, read 17,213 times

Advertisements

Jobs Americans won't do??? WTF...??? Who is kidding who here....??

Case in point: My 19 yr old son has been looking for work for 10 mos. steadily ....last month he applied for a job as a dish washer at a brand new "yet to open" restuarant in Sunset Beach, Ca. called "Fish Camp" ....well, as is the trend....he never heard back from the person he turned his application to...

Well I just happen to drive by this place both to and from work every day, and low and behold....what do I see a couple days after I notice that it was open for biz.......?????

....driving by after work I see two young men of obvious hispanic descent wearing white aprons and caps carrying racks of clean dishes and glasses into the back entrance of the kitchen......

Since I feel my own opinions are too biased, can someone please tell be what likely transpired here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 05:34 PM

720 posts, read 587,922 times
When I was in college, I held a 3.9 GPA. Then, a kick ass internship came open, so of course, I applied. Along with about 5 others. I email my director to find out who got it, and was informed that another lady, of hispanic descent, got it. Well, I knew this lady, she was in all my classes. A lady whom rarely showed for class, never did homework, was always asking "to see" others homework etc etc...She was chose for the internship that was undoubtedly earned by myself, and the other students who actually took their education seriously.

As stated above, I am probably biased so could someone fill me in?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 PM

32,804 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Native View Post

Case in point: My 19 yr old son has been looking for work for 10 mos. steadily ....last month he applied for a job as a dish washer at a brand new "yet to open" restuarant in Sunset Beach, Ca. called "Fish Camp" ....well, as is the trend....he never heard back from the person he turned his application to...

Well I just happen to drive by this place both to and from work every day, and low and behold....what do I see a couple days after I notice that it was open for biz.......?????

....driving by after work I see two young men of obvious hispanic descent wearing white aprons and caps carrying racks of clean dishes and glasses into the back entrance of the kitchen......

Since I feel my own opinions are too biased, can someone please tell be what likely transpired here?
I'd be tempted to talk to them and if I can't get a response in English send something to the mgmt that you suspect the worst and they should be ready to talk to the IRS and ICE.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,149,391 times
If I didnt have a job and there was a farm job opening that payed more than minimum wage, then I wouldnt hesitate to do it, heck I would even do it as a second job if the hours were right. Americans will do these jobs but its not like they can get them cause the employeer would rather hire an illegal to work cheaper, plus I wouldnt wanna be the only person who speaks english working with a bunch of guys that didnt.

Im sure there are some teenagers who need summer jobs that will do the work, not all kids these days are lazy, although they are much lazier than back in my days or my parents days. My mom baled hay and worked on a farm as a teen, my dads whole family raised cotton and veggies and worked in the field before they were even teens and me and my brother hoed fields one summer, people will do the jobs if they are available.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:06 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,494,281 times
I'm really lousy at math, but with our taxes sky high to make up for all the free loading illegals, and our car insurance soaring, because of the same, some parents are even having to hire tutors for their own children, because they are being "left behind" in class, while the teachers are working with the spanish speaking only kids, we've also had our property values go down cause our neighborhoods are now trashy, we have to really hunt to find a emergency room thats still open, so drive further than before. I'm sure there are tons of services & items we pay more for, to make up for illegals getting a free ride, sooooooooooooooooooooo
My question is: How much are we REALLY paying for that grape/tomato etc.???????????????

Old 07-30-2010, 11:26 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Its a myth that illegals save us money at the store. Are the employers of these illegals so knoble as to pass on the cost savings to the consumers?
I really doubt it.
Exactly! It is a myth that so many pro-illegal immigration groups have been trying to use to pin our back up against the wall and persuade/manipulate us that we need illegal immigrants to make our produce and other foods affordable. But, think about this: let's say that the farmers felt they needed to raise prices to afford losing their so-called "cheap labor," I mean, if things are really as pro-illegal immigrants say, then farmers would have to start paying those reasonable wages. So, the farmers raise the prices of grapes, tomatoes, corn, lettuce, whatever. Just how high could they raise them? Would we really see $5 heads of lettuce? No, because the farming companies and farmers would be crazy to set unreasonable and ridiculous prices, they know we wouldn't pay them. So, they would have no choice but to react to what the consumer is will to pay. We, as consumers, would begin to go without those supplemntal foods (grapes, tomatoes, lettuce) and therefore, we wouldn't care about those foods. We'd probably start growing them ourselves OR ... turning to local farmers.

So, the whole "Illegal immigrants keep your produce cheap" is an easy way to try to make legal residents here feel like they are getting something truly useful from illegal immigrants. Do we really agree with such gusto that we want to accept so-called cheap produce in exchange for over-population in areas, increased taxes to support the need to give assistance to undocumented families, unnecessary and forced language barriers, crowding in schools, and all the other ills of illegal immigration that affect us daily? Oh yea, is an increased impoverished population a good trade for grapes and tomatoes?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:34 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Native View Post

I see that a lot around here. I know that I can't say that the Hispanic guys you saw were undocumented, that I do feel, nor can I say that they weren't hired because of better availability or experience. However, I know from my own experience working in restaurants as a high school student, college student and in the past that there are many times when the US citizen or legal resident or simply non-Hispanic worker won't be hired, but the Hispanic undocumented worker is hired. It is a chain reaction in a business. Once the first undocumented worker is hired, the employer wants to hire more, usually the next ones are the cousin or friend of the other undocumented. The next thing you know, there are no legal workers or non-Hispanic people.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:03 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,950,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I see that a lot around here. I know that I can't say that the Hispanic guys you saw were undocumented, that I do feel, nor can I say that they weren't hired because of better availability or experience. However, I know from my own experience working in restaurants as a high school student, college student and in the past that there are many times when the US citizen or legal resident or simply non-Hispanic worker won't be hired, but the Hispanic undocumented worker is hired. It is a chain reaction in a business. Once the first undocumented worker is hired, the employer wants to hire more, usually the next ones are the cousin or friend of the other undocumented. The next thing you know, there are no legal workers or non-Hispanic people.

The same thing happens with Asian restaurants.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:33 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Its a myth that illegals save us money at the store. Are the employers of these illegals so knoble as to pass on the cost savings to the consumers?
I really doubt it.
Just because Illegals pick fruit and vegetibles doesn't mean that the farmer is selling anything to the stores any cheaper.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:20 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,365,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Ever watch the show Dirty Jobs? There ain't one job anywhere at all in the entire U.S. of blasted A that an American somewhere will not do. Fact.

Time for some folks to *plop* pull their heads out of that deep dark cavity.
That is so right. There isn't a job in the entire U.S. that an American simply won't do. I just moved to back to my hometown in the midwest. This area is a major farming community and has very few (if any) illegal immigrants. Guess what? There are Americans lining up to work on the farms, many of them are teenagers, college students, and the unemployed.

Americans in my hometown are also working in all the restaurants, retail stores, coal mines, construction jobs, and janitor work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or