U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2010, 04:07 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,294 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I had a thought about how America should view immigration and how it is regulated. It seems that Americans complain about the effect of illegal immigration on job availability and wages. I agree, it's a serious problem.

1) Social security numbers should remain as the backbone of hiring practices in America. If you're on a work visa, native born or naturalized (as we were taught in school) you have one of these. These can be tracked and monitored by computers. We're not living in 1800, when paper was used and exact numbers couldn't be figured. This is 2010, computers handle data effortlessly and precisely, quickly too. If we as a nation implement a new system of governing Jobs in America, using computers we can exactly know who is working where ( we already do that, that's how you pay into your Social Security), we can then see which companies are hiring people who are illegal. No profiling. Well maybe SSN profiling, but isn't that the problem? This is a slow process I'm sure, while the data is compiled, but it's only as slow as it's implemented.


2) A firm stance should be taken by all states and backed by the federal government, as to keeping this illegal immigration from happening any more. The federal government should not threaten but state plainly as fact (Law), that if you are caught employing any illegal immigrants, you will lose your company, your assets and your freedom for ten years, no leniency. If your not hiring illegals you have nothing to fear. The government should take control of these wrongfully built up businesses and employ Americans to continue running these. I'm sure that after the first few people are arrested for breaking this (Law), the seriousness of this would be seen, and I would almost bet (not a betting person myself) that illegal immigrant hiring would be a thing of our nations nasty past.

Imagine Jobs in America for Americans, how nice would that be? Maybe a fund should be made to smooth the transition of some of these problem areas affected by the reliance on illegal workers as a profit builder.
Maybe putting a cap on price and pay, for a short while, would help to keep numbers easily manageable while working this kink out of our economical situation. I don't know, I'm no expert. Just a concerned Citizen
like most of you (especially if you're reading this all the way to this point). Then again maybe that last idea is too much, I don't know.

I need to watch more of how Arizona is handling the illegal immigration situation. From what I've seen so far, (to me) it looks like racial profiling. How else are they doing this? They deny it, but haven't clearly stated their process to help us, as Americans feel comfortable with it.

If you have a valid SSN you should be able to work in America. I know a lot of companies will fail because they honestly rely on the low pay out to support their profit. If you've been doing this, making a profit at the cost of Americans losing potential jobs and income, to lower paid illegals, your business should collapse. This is not what America is all about. We as a proud nation should support each other. If we allow this illegal practice to continue we all pay the price.

Your comments are greatly needed, and welcome. I look forward to chewing the fat with you all.

Last edited by Michael Dieudonne; 07-30-2010 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: Catchier Tag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 AM
 
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
3,858 posts, read 5,966,888 times
Reputation: 1806
A valid SSN is the way to go but the current system has accumulated too much fraud and has few validity checks. Cards are still issued on pieces of paper not scannable plastic cards. Ontario (Canada) has a more secure system with photo ID health cards. But Americans aren't ready for a national ID card that could be used to put them in FEMA camps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Arizona High Desert
4,636 posts, read 4,952,889 times
Reputation: 2741
I know if I commit a crime, the law knows where to find me. There should at least be a way for US citizens to see if anyone else has used our number. Stealing a SS # should be a felony. I like the iris scan idea, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,297,494 times
Reputation: 7567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
A valid SSN is the way to go but the current system has accumulated too much fraud and has few validity checks. Cards are still issued on pieces of paper not scannable plastic cards. Ontario (Canada) has a more secure system with photo ID health cards. But Americans aren't ready for a national ID card that could be used to put them in FEMA camps.
I agree. One of my friends best friend/ roommate works on an ill-gotten SSN.

Places have started requiring that you bring in your card before you are hired. but the card is just paper with no picture. Makes it very easy to engage in fraudulent behavior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,828,771 times
Reputation: 3028
Although E-Verify is not foolproof, itís a step in the right direction. Of course, pro-illegal organizations continue to fight it tooth and nail. We need something criminals cannot forge, such as DNA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,297,494 times
Reputation: 7567
Finger printing should be sufficient. They do it for government jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 10:23 AM
 
Location: colorado
2,788 posts, read 4,245,656 times
Reputation: 3312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dieudonne View Post
I had a thought about how America should view immigration and how it is regulated. It seems that Americans complain about the effect of illegal immigration on job availability and wages. I agree, it's a serious problem.

1) Social security numbers should remain as the backbone of hiring practices in America. If you're on a work visa, native born or naturalized (as we were taught in school) you have one of these. These can be tracked and monitored by computers. We're not living in 1800, when paper was used and exact numbers couldn't be figured. This is 2010, computers handle data effortlessly and precisely, quickly too. If we as a nation implement a new system of governing Jobs in America, using computers we can exactly know who is working where ( we already do that, that's how you pay into your Social Security), we can then see which companies are hiring people who are illegal. No profiling. Well maybe SSN profiling, but isn't that the problem? This is a slow process I'm sure, while the data is compiled, but it's only as slow as it's implemented.


2) A firm stance should be taken by all states and backed by the federal government, as to keeping this illegal immigration from happening any more. The federal government should not threaten but state plainly as fact (Law), that if you are caught employing any illegal immigrants, you will lose your company, your assets and your freedom for ten years, no leniency. If your not hiring illegals you have nothing to fear. The government should take control of these wrongfully built up businesses and employ Americans to continue running these. I'm sure that after the first few people are arrested for breaking this (Law), the seriousness of this would be seen, and I would almost bet (not a betting person myself) that illegal immigrant hiring would be a thing of our nations nasty past.

Imagine Jobs in America for Americans, how nice would that be? Maybe a fund should be made to smooth the transition of some of these problem areas affected by the reliance on illegal workers as a profit builder.
Maybe putting a cap on price and pay, for a short while, would help to keep numbers easily manageable while working this kink out of our economical situation. I don't know, I'm no expert. Just a concerned Citizen
like most of you (especially if you're reading this all the way to this point). Then again maybe that last idea is too much, I don't know.

I need to watch more of how Arizona is handling the illegal immigration situation. From what I've seen so far, (to me) it looks like racial profiling. How else are they doing this? They deny it, but haven't clearly stated their process to help us, as Americans feel comfortable with it.

If you have a valid SSN you should be able to work in America. I know a lot of companies will fail because they honestly rely on the low pay out to support their profit. If you've been doing this, making a profit at the cost of Americans losing potential jobs and income, to lower paid illegals, your business should collapse. This is not what America is all about. We as a proud nation should support each other. If we allow this illegal practice to continue we all pay the price.

Your comments are greatly needed, and welcome. I look forward to chewing the fat with you all.

If someone or a company wants to hire an illegal and they know they are an illegal I have no problem with it
I do have a problem with identities being stolen
My daughter works at McDonalds and she told me most of the employees that work there are illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,162,216 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
If someone or a company wants to hire an illegal and they know they are an illegal I have no problem with it
I do have a problem with identities being stolen
My daughter works at McDonalds and she told me most of the employees that work there are illegals.
You don't have a problem with an employer breaking our laws? Is it ok if all of our citizens start ignoring our laws and doing what they please also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: colorado
2,788 posts, read 4,245,656 times
Reputation: 3312
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You don't have a problem with an employer breaking our laws? Is it ok if all of our citizens start ignoring our laws and doing what they please also?

The employer gets fined...there is a consequence for not following the law. Also the law isnt always right, some laws should be broken..
So if an employer knowingly hires an illegal and wants to deal with the law regarding it, then like I said I have no problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,162,216 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
The employer gets fined...there is a consequence for not following the law. Also the law isnt always right, some laws should be broken..
So if an employer knowingly hires an illegal and wants to deal with the law regarding it, then like I said I have no problem with it.
There is a price to be paid for any crime and rightly so but to state you have no problem with an employer hiring an illegal alien because he "might" get caught and have to pay the price doesn't make any sense from a moral standpoint on your part. What if the employer never gets caught and gets away with breaking the law? As for laws not always being right what part is right for employers to hire illegals who don't even have a right to be in our country and are screwing an American out of a job? Are you a citizen of this country? We can't just pick laws we don't think are right and then violate them. You can seek change to them but until or if they are changed as a loyal American we are obligated to obey them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top