Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,465 times

Advertisements

Seems Graham has stepped onto the right side of this debate, interesting indeed.

Quote:
Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., told Fox News after the Arizona ruling came down that "birthright citizenship" needs to be changed.
"I'm a practical guy, but when you go forward I don't want 20 million more (illegal immigrants) 20 years from now," he said. "Let's have a system that doesn't reward people for cheating."
Though other lawmakers have called for a change in U.S. or state law, Graham said he might introduce a constitutional amendment.
"We should change our Constitution and say if you come here illegally and you have a child, that child's automatically not a citizen," he said Wednesday. "They come here to drop a child -- it's called 'drop and leave.' ... That attracts people here for all the wrong reasons."

FOXNews.com - Lawmakers Consider Ending Citizenship for Children of Illegal Immigrants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Yes, I agree. The farce and misinterpretation of the birthright citzenship clause has got to be stopped. That and e-verify are the two most important factors in reducing illegal immigration immensely.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
The "drop and leave" sounds more like the birthright tourist crowd. Illegals tend to "drop and STAY"

Old 07-30-2010, 01:17 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,660 times
Here's another side to the ridiculousness of birthright citizenship:

"Zhou and Chao insist that everything they do is legal, noting that the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, ratified in 1868, says anyone born on U.S. soil has the right to citizenship.
"We don't encourage moms to break the law -- just to take advantage of it," Zhou said. "It's like jaywalking. The policeman might fine you, but it doesn't break the law."
"We are not snakeheads," he added, using the common term here for Chinese gangsters involved in smuggling illegal immigrants."

washingtonpost.com

What kind of country thinks so little of itself that it allows EVERYBODY to become a citizen? The US has self esteem issues (jk).

Old 07-30-2010, 01:22 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
I think it should be stopped. The major problem with deportation is what are you going to do with the kids? they were born here.

I think they should all be sent back.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
Well, alrighty then, pilgrims............show me your papers.

People are not thinking clearly, logically, or objectionally with this issue. Is there a problem? Yes. Is it new? No. Is it only Mexicans? No. Do corporations who want cheap labor that's easily abused promote illegal labor? Yes. Do lobbyest for special interests groups that benefit from the cheap labor pay off politicians? Yes.

If a child is born in America then they are American. This proposal will never happen because we'll end up with a population of people who have no country. I don't care if you people have no compassion toward the babies born in America. The truth is these babies grow up and they would be a citizen of no country and that will never happen.

Some of you are just bigots. Many are not, but people, if you're just a regular working stiff in America you won't win on this issue. Neither will the undocumented workers. The only winners will be the corporations and the politicians. Nothing new about that.

If people were smart they'd stop with the bigotry; they'd stop acting like fools and start thinking logically. Work with the immigrants for fair reform and then all could work against the corporations who are the truely benefit. That will never happen though. It's much eaiser to shout, "I ain't gonna' press one for English!!"

Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 PM

377 posts, read 684,569 times
This seriously has been so long overdue! Kudos to Senator Lindsey Graham. I wish others had the balls to step forward like this Senator did.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Well, alrighty then, pilgrims............show me your papers.

People are not thinking clearly, logically, or objectionally with this issue. Is there a problem? Yes. Is it new? No. Is it only Mexicans? No. Do corporations who want cheap labor that's easily abused promote illegal labor? Yes. Do lobbyest for special interests groups that benefit from the cheap labor pay off politicians? Yes.

If a child is born in America then they are American. This proposal will never happen because we'll end up with a population of people who have no country. I don't care if you people have no compassion toward the babies born in America. The truth is these babies grow up and they would be a citizen of no country and that will never happen.

Some of you are just bigots. Many are not, but people, if you're just a regular working stiff in America you won't win on this issue. Neither will the undocumented workers. The only winners will be the corporations and the politicians. Nothing new about that.

If people were smart they'd stop with the bigotry; they'd stop acting like fools and start thinking logically. Work with the immigrants for fair reform and then all could work against the corporations who are the truely benefit. That will never happen though. It's much eaiser to shout, "I ain't gonna' press one for English!!"
No, they wouldn't be a child without a country. They would be citizens of their parent's country. Nice try, but no cigar.

This issue has nothing to do with bigotry but a common sense approach based on what the writer's of the birthright amendment intended. The only fools are those who think that children of illegal alien criminals should be granted our precious citizenship by the parent's illegal acts.

WTH does press one for English have to do with any of this? The only fair reform is enforcement reform against the illegals and their employers. In other words enforce the laws already on the books against both!

Are you halucinating again talking to dead pilgrims?

Old 07-30-2010, 03:34 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
If a child is born in America then they are American. This proposal will never happen because we'll end up with a population of people who have no country. "
Americans born to people in the armed forces or volunteering abroad are still citizens, no matter where they are born.

You send the kids back with their parents, then they will be citizens of their parents country. Even in the US when resident aliens naturalize, their kids immediately become citizens too

Old 07-30-2010, 03:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Most developed countries have replaced the concept of birthright citizenship with citizenship by descent. In other words, one or both parents or, for some countries, grandparents had to be citizens in their own right and you acquire citizenship be being descended from them.

Birthright citizenship is clearly open to massive abuse while it does not offer much in the way of advantages to ordinary Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration