U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,443,271 times

Advertisements

I blame the ones breaking our laws and the slack government for letting them do it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:27 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catessa View Post
That's precisely the million-dollar question that I've asked before. Why amnesty?? I mentioned earlier that poverty alone has never been a criterion for granting amnesty. Unlike refugees from Communist or war-torn countries who were granted asylum, Mexico never qualified for this type of amnesty. So, yes, I do want to know why on earth amnesty was passed to these people? That seems to have been the reason we're in our present condition.
No its not the reason. The reason that we are in todays situation is the fact that the Fed has failed to secure our borders and is failing to enforce both immigration laws and labor laws.
The amnesty was an attempt to find a cheap easy way out of a problem that was on going. NAFTA exasperated the problem as does those who insist on calling it a minor problem.
Add to this the idiots who know illegals or know who hires them and don't make the call to ICE. Worse still the facilitators who actually support illegal immigration.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:21 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,513,116 times
We have ourselves to blame for illegal immigration because we have not voted out the entire Federal, State and local governments that encourage it. Vote against every encumbent, every time, forever.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:37 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
We have ourselves to blame for illegal immigration because we have not voted out the entire Federal, State and local governments that encourage it. Vote against every encumbent, every time, forever.
Well said. Party hardliners and lazy voters result in a disfunctional Gov. which is exactly what we have now and have had for some time.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:50 PM

43 posts, read 19,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No its not the reason. The reason that we are in todays situation is the fact that the Fed has failed to secure our borders and is failing to enforce both immigration laws and labor laws.
The amnesty was an attempt to find a cheap easy way out of a problem that was on going. NAFTA exasperated the problem as does those who insist on calling it a minor problem.
Add to this the idiots who know illegals or know who hires them and don't make the call to ICE. Worse still the facilitators who actually support illegal immigration.
There are multiple reasons, failure to secure our borders, employers hiring illegal immigrants, AND amnesty. I dare say that amnesty was perhaps the worst mistake because it spiked the number of illegals by a tenfold. I still don't get on what grounds the amnesty law was passed.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catessa View Post
There are multiple reasons, failure to secure our borders, employers hiring illegal immigrants, AND amnesty. I dare say that amnesty was perhaps the worst mistake because it spiked the number of illegals by a tenfold. I still don't get on what grounds the amnesty law was passed.
Catessa, what is there not to see? The US has always profited from illegals, but in times of economic recession they become scapegoats. History does repeat itself. I am pasting from About.com:

"When the United States found itself embroiled in a second World War in 1942, Mexican migrant labor began to look like a good idea again. U.S. and Mexican officials agreed to the Bracero Program, which would have allowed temporary guest workers to labor in the United States without any of the labor protections extended to U.S. workers. Corporations loved this, for the obvious reasons, so the program was maintained long after World War II ended--until 1964, in fact.

In the four decades since then, there has been an unspoken agreement between the government, corporations, and undocumented workers. The government has resisted implementing any regulations that would close the border, punish corporations for hiring undocumented immigrants, or discourage undocumented workers from coming into the country. Corporations have exploited undocumented workers' status by paying them substandard wages, housing them in shacks, and ignoring labor practices--all with relative impunity. And low-income Mexicans have been recruited to come into the United States and build families and lives here under those unspoken terms.

In 1986, President Ronald Reagan and the Democratic Congress did something truly humane and decent: They granted amnesty to three million undocumented Mexican-American workers, bringing them under the umbrella of U.S. human rights protections. But corporations still wanted undocumented laborers, the U.S. government was still willing to look the other way, and low-income Mexicans still immigrate to the United States under this arrangement. The unspoken agreement continued for two decades more. Now the number of undocumented Mexican-American immigrants stands at about 12 million.

After all these decades, U.S. government officials are finding themselves in the same situation they were in back in 1929, and again in 1986--with corporations dependent on Mexican migrant labor, Mexican Americans who accepted the opportunity for work and crossed the border, and an American public that is at least in part hostile to the presence of a large number of undocumented immigrants."

Old 08-13-2010, 08:46 AM

207 posts, read 465,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leni_D View Post
Catessa, what is there not to see? The US has always profited from illegals, but in times of economic recession they become scapegoats. History does repeat itself. I am pasting from About.com:

"When the United States found itself embroiled in a second World War in 1942, Mexican migrant labor began to look like a good idea again. U.S. and Mexican officials agreed to the Bracero Program, which would have allowed temporary guest workers to labor in the United States without any of the labor protections extended to U.S. workers. Corporations loved this, for the obvious reasons, so the program was maintained long after World War II ended--until 1964, in fact.

In the four decades since then, there has been an unspoken agreement between the government, corporations, and undocumented workers. The government has resisted implementing any regulations that would close the border, punish corporations for hiring undocumented immigrants, or discourage undocumented workers from coming into the country. Corporations have exploited undocumented workers' status by paying them substandard wages, housing them in shacks, and ignoring labor practices--all with relative impunity. And low-income Mexicans have been recruited to come into the United States and build families and lives here under those unspoken terms.

In 1986, President Ronald Reagan and the Democratic Congress did something truly humane and decent: They granted amnesty to three million undocumented Mexican-American workers, bringing them under the umbrella of U.S. human rights protections. But corporations still wanted undocumented laborers, the U.S. government was still willing to look the other way, and low-income Mexicans still immigrate to the United States under this arrangement. The unspoken agreement continued for two decades more. Now the number of undocumented Mexican-American immigrants stands at about 12 million.

After all these decades, U.S. government officials are finding themselves in the same situation they were in back in 1929, and again in 1986--with corporations dependent on Mexican migrant labor, Mexican Americans who accepted the opportunity for work and crossed the border, and an American public that is at least in part hostile to the presence of a large number of undocumented immigrants."
Bullsnort! What a load of crap! There's no such thing as 'Undocumented Mexican-Americans', or undocumented/hyphenated anything else 'Americans'. They're 'illegal aliens'... 'n not all of 'em are Mexican. This whole screed reads like some sophomoric la-la-land fairy tale. This has been going on far longer than your sudden awareness courtesy of SB1070.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Undocumented Mexican Americans?

I laughed so hard when I read that, I nearly peed my pants......

Old 08-13-2010, 11:24 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leni_D View Post
I am pasting from About.com:
I MAY go to about.com for info on how to grow an avocado from a pit or something similar - I definitely don't go there for FACTS on immigration policies.

About.com is notorious for posting opinions as "articles"

As others have said "undocumented Mexican-Americans"???? wtf ? That's the BEST pc garbage phrase yet.

oh yeah - the only document they're missing is that pesky VISA (aka the RIGHT to be here)

Last edited by Opyelie; 08-13-2010 at 11:36 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 11:45 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I MAY go to about.com for info on how to grow an avocado from a pit or something similar - I definitely don't go there for FACTS.

About.com is notorious for posting opinions as "articles"

As others have said "undocumented Mexican-Americans"???? wtf ? That's the BEST pc garbage phrase yet.

oh yeah - the only document they're missing is that pasky VISA (aka the RIGHT to be here)
Now, now. . . letís not get picky. After all, they paid for those fraudulent docs. Itís not as though they stole anything, or even did anything wrong. Theyíre only trying to support their families and seek a better life. So what if they donít have legal documents to be here. Itís mean-spirited and racist to call them illegal, because this country belongs to everyone. Plus, we stole their land, and they have a right to reclaim it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or