U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 AM

9,605 posts, read 14,276,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elezah1288 View Post
Profile them and you will find that 60% are from Mexico and South America. MS13 are not from Ireland. 50% of gangs in U.S. are from Mexico. Drug cartels are Mexican. Those coming across the southern border are Mexican, (Hispanics)
Entire cities in Calif are Mexican. Smithridge Ele school here in Reno is 98% Hispanic. Mariposa School of language in 100%.
Our thirst for drugs is another overlooked issue. The people who run the cartels and the drug trade may be Hispanic, however, the Americans who demand the drugs are 100 percent American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,790,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The fault of the federal government for not enforcing illegal immigration law.

The simple explanation above that needs no expansion other than there is no will upon the Federal government to enforce the border security along the southwest. The US put men on the moon and can't secure their own international border along the southwest? I guess the moon is made of green cheese? I yi yi

Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM

358 posts, read 332,712 times
I believe there is enough blame to go around on the illegal immigrant Issue. I would first like to start with the South American countries and Mexico. In 1982 and again in 1994 Mexico suffered a currency crisis, with the Peso being devalued 50% causing hyperinflation. It's important to understand that the Peso is one of the most stable South American currencies. Couple the economic devastation with a historic birthrate more than twice that of America.. 7 children per woman! (This goes for all South American countries). So over the last century there has been unsustainable population growth with an economy that tanked several times thrusting the native population into poverty. The birthrate in Mexico is now at an all time low, only 2.8 births per woman (replacement rate is 2.1), peso is stronger than ever, growing middle class.. how is that? A) NAFTA provides us a large trade deficit B) America has been a safety valve for the overflow of Mexican and South American peasants that don't believe in family planning C) Remittance payments sent from illegal immigrants strengthen economies back home, making illegal immigration very attractive to foreign governments.

Illegal immigration did not become a problem during the Bracero program, Mexicans picked our fields decades before the program went into effect. During the Great Depression we deported many Mexicans, look it up- they were taking American jobs back then as well. The problem is with the unstable, corrupt, weak, breeding nations south of our border. How do we stop illegal immigration?? the only viable solution I can come up with is Manifest destiny.. this time we head south.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:59 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post

The simple explanation above that needs no expansion other than there is no will upon the Federal government to enforce the border security along the southwest. The US put men on the moon and can't secure their own international border along the southwest? I guess the moon is made of green cheese? I yi yi
Astonishing, isnít it? We also have the capability to sit at a desk in Langley, VA and detect a chewy gum wrapper on the ground thousands of miles away; launch a missile from a ship in the Indian Ocean, and with precision strike a target in Iraq. Yet, we lack the wherewithal to secure our borders. How anyone with an ounce of sense can believe that, is beyond me.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Mexicans come north for jobs. If Americans didn't hire them then they wouldn't be here. It started with the Bracero guest worker program back in the 1940's and California farms (mainly corporate run) hiring Mexican farm labor. Once you open the door its hard to close & foreign guest workers will start putting down roots and starting families. The easiest and least costly enforcement action (manpower & $) is to go after the employers - this will lead to fewer migrants and to some extent reverse the flow -self deportment.
Said perfectly.

/Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:01 PM

10,395 posts, read 8,349,307 times
Fedzilla

Old 08-10-2010, 03:10 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Our thirst for drugs is another overlooked issue. The people who run the cartels and the drug trade may be Hispanic, however, the Americans who demand the drugs are 100 percent American.
Which is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:22 PM

43 posts, read 19,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Do you realize only 2-4% of illegal aliens are picking our crops? That’s a very small percentage. The vast majority are employed in jobs U.S. citizens used to have.
Benicar, at least I am trying to analyze this issue and trying to come up with a solution. It seems a lot of people are here to vent, but few take the time to explore the history of Mexican immigration and US policies vis-a-vis this phenomenon which has grown into a huge problem. Like I said, there was a time when nationals on either side of the border would cross into each other's countries. Somewhere along this process, something went very wrong and a large influx of Mexican immigrants came to the US. I am admitting, I am not an expert on this subject, which is why I was hoping for an educated answer to my question. Obviously if there was peaceful boarder crossing at one point in time, something triggered the imbalance we are now witnessing.

I can tell you that the illegal immigration problems facing France go back to France's policy of allowing great numbers of legal immigrants from Muslim countries in North Africa to come to reconstruct cities destroyed in WWII. These immigrants had work permits and were legally in France, however, they never returned to their countries of origin (which was the plan). Rather, they settled in France and had children who were born in French soil. They are now French citizens but are not assimilated into society because they suffer discrimination. These same families then brought relatives who stayed illegally in France, giving rise to the illegal problem. When these illegals had children in France, the children had French citizenship, but not the parents.

I don't know if something similar happened in the US with Mexican migrants. I'm not sure, because Mexico being so close to the US, you would think there is no need for them to uproot from their country unless they are suffering persecution. I am not advocating for illegal immigration or seeking justification for it. What I am saying is that there must have been a turning point (like in France or other countries experiencing this problem) where illegal immigration from Mexico became out of control.

Last edited by Catessa; 08-10-2010 at 09:41 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 09:55 PM

43 posts, read 19,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Said perfectly.

/Thread
Hi Mach, thanks for your informative post. Sorry, I didn't see it before my previous post. You seem to know more about this issue than most of us (I'm for sure counting myself). If the Bracero regulation was for crops, why so many on this forum are saying that the illegals are not working the fields but taking jobs from Americans? I don't understand that argument because I think, IMHO, that most illegals work in jobs most Americans don't want, (e.g., washing dishes, chamber maids at hotels, cafeterias, janitorial work, house cleaning, etc). No American wants these jobs because they are considered menial. How did the migrants go from working the fields to these occupations? I still advocate for a policy where these people can be transferred from Mexico to the US back and forth. I think the problem is that many of these individuals don't have papers and the government doesn't know they exist. I've read horrible stories about immigrants being abused because they have no rights and live under fear of being denounced. On the other hand, I've also heard about illegal immigrants who steal, rape, and engage in all sorts of crime beyond being illegal in the country. I think the ones who commit crime should be apprehended and deported. The ones who just want to work and behave well should go through a process and allowed to work for certain periods of time during the year then they should go back to their home countries. I think that might work better.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times
What happened was they were given an AMNESTY - and ever since they've poured across believing it's only a matter of time before the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or