U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:13 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
In '86 there was no follow-up. The politicians did high fives then moved on to other business.
- no increase in border security
- no follow-up & clampdown on employers (as dictated in the bill)
- no fraud screening - the gov't knowing turned a blind eye to fraudulent applications (ie: not in country long enough or stuffing the application with new relatives)

I agree....but even though politicians "promised" to do all these things, (and SWORE the problem would go away), the fact is, they did not....and it didn't. Are you saying we have a 'new' breed of politicians now...and that TODAY, they're telling the truth? Sorry, I just don't share your naivete...

"Burn me once..", as they say. I'll believe the politicians when they actually demonstrate their willingness to do their sworn duties...so far, all I hear is different forms of threats...."if we DON'T grant amnesty, we'll be sorry". I fell for that line once....but I can't fall for it again.

We could amnestize HALF the illegals here today, and deport the other half, and that would STILL cause anger, resentment, and demands. There's just no way to reduce lawbreaking by rewarding the lawbreakers...it's just not human nature. It only breeds dispespect, cynicism, and yet more demands for still more concessions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 07:23 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,946,459 times
I imagine that with many pro illegals, it's about gaining some benefit. Fill the churches, sell lots and lots and lots of cheap crap to people who like cheap crap. A future supply of endless cannon fodder, voting, of course, a tv audience that can be programmed to be common, and ordinary by watching realllly trashy shows. Fill junky houses with 16 family members, and have the neighborhoods turned into hell holes, so someone can apply for a government grant and fix the area so they can trash it again.....

Old 07-31-2010, 08:50 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,273,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's like saying if an embezzler has embezzled for a number of years, they must be allowed to continue doing so. Same argument. The embezzler would have become accustomed to the extra money - and could say that it's the fault of the authorities that they allowed that to be the case.

Any law breaker who has become accustomed to breaking the law because they weren't apprehended the first couple of days has to be given a pass?
That is not the same argument at all. Embezzlers take money. Illegals often have family members that are legal. Furthermore, America encouraged illegal immigration.

Too many in America see this as a business issue as opposed to a people issue.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:51 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,273,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I imagine that with many pro illegals, it's about gaining some benefit. Fill the churches, sell lots and lots and lots of cheap crap to people who like cheap crap. A future supply of endless cannon fodder, voting, of course, a tv audience that can be programmed to be common, and ordinary by watching realllly trashy shows. Fill junky houses with 16 family members, and have the neighborhoods turned into hell holes, so someone can apply for a government grant and fix the area so they can trash it again.....
So to you, it's a lot more about their lifestyle/culture as opposed to the legality of the situation. At least that's the impression I get from this post.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
So to you, it's a lot more about their lifestyle/culture as opposed to the legality of the situation. At least that's the impression I get from this post.
No, their illegality comes first and foremost. It is still about our laws. What is being viewed in the neighborhoods where they live is just one of the negative impacts after they remain here illegally. Why do I smell the distinctive stench of the race card in the air?

Old 07-31-2010, 09:18 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
That is not the same argument at all. Embezzlers take money. Illegals often have family members that are legal. Furthermore, America encouraged illegal immigration.

No, law abiding Americans who make up the majority in this country did not encourage illegal immigration. Do not put the greedy employers and our lax government in the same boat with us.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:32 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:

Sure it is. Illegals also take money, or they take government handouts, or both. They take jobs from Americans who need jobs. Embezzlers and most other criminals have family members that aren't committing crimes.

America didn't encourage illegal immigration, greedy corporations and individuals craving dirt cheap labor encouraged them but also the welfare programs and other handouts encouraged them. Not because welfare programs were designed to bring in illegals but the word spread and many came and are coming and doing whatever it takes to get on these programs.

Of course many see this as a business issue -- the business issue of ultra cheap labor and a way around the legal process that requires legal wages and benefits.

H2A visas have no cap. There are no limits on the number of these visas - but why won't employers use them to fill labor needs? Simple answer - the employer must make some minor effort to recruit American workers first, the employer must pay legal wages and follow the wage and labor laws.

And of course to bring in permanent workers there are other visa programs - but again there are some rules and regulations - and when the goal is ultra cheap labor and no responsibility to the employees - of course they prefer bringing in semi-trailer loads of illegals.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM

34,990 posts, read 33,858,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
I want real honest answers to this question.

How can anyone, who wants the US to continue as a first world nation, not be for strong enforcement of our borders?
WeHireAliens.com--Illegal Alien Employer Database brought to you by the FIRE Coalition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or