U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 AM

60,150 posts, read 30,614,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why didn't Arizona write this legislation and press the Federal Government to do it's job while Bush was in office?

Because Nappy was Governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:35 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InThemiddleToo View Post
to hell with bush, we had better think about the current admins 4,5 mil free lunch program. damm looks as if the tax money is spend for those that cant afford to feed all the anchor kids.

feed the illegal masses to reduce the middle class to zero.
That's what it's about. You have homeless Americans in California while illegals are put up in style in government housing.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:38 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
No need for snide insults. There was no such outrage at this level regarding this issue during Bush's administration. Other than that, you just confirmed what I said. Glad to see you agree ~
Here's a question for you. Since you want unlimited immigration for cheap labor workers even with unemployment rates of over 10%, would you still want unlimted immigration of cheap labor if our unemployment rates were 20%, or 30% or 50%? And if so why?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,028,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Here's a question for you. Since you want unlimited immigration for cheap labor workers even with unemployment rates of over 10%, would you still want unlimted immigration of cheap labor if our unemployment rates were 20%, or 30% or 50%? And if so why?
I think you misunderstand. I was being facetious. I most certainly do not, nor have I ever believed in open borders. I don't know of any other country in the world which has open borders. Perhaps you do?

Unlimited illegal immigration? We've already got it. My point was that this is an old problem and no one cared when we got our cheap produce, and could employ cheap labor. We were all complicit in that; and apparently few saw the writing on the wall - that is, that illegal immigration will only continue to get worse. What the heck did people think would happen? Like InThemiddleToo said, it's a generational burden - nothing new.

Years ago, illegals and the Mexican Mafia, as it was called, were over-running the California cities closest to the border. The murders and drug arrests associated with that time (in that area) barely made national news. 'That's Cali's problem, it will never happen here.' The gangs own/ed parts of SoCal. And now they own parts of the US along the border, and even certain neighborhoods all the way up to Portland, OR. and Michigan. And we made it easy for them.

We were flourishing financially, low unemployment....we were fat, dumb and happy. Perfectly happy to take advantage of that cheap produce, cheap factory labor, etc. without giving a whit as to why it was so cheap. Like it would last forever. Then, we started exporting our jobs.

My issue is that most people on this board purport to be "surprised" by these developments. I find that an excuse for phony outrage - all of which is contrived for political purposes. Creating divisiveness for political purposes will backfire.

I am absolutely opposed to open borders. But you can't just put up a gargantuan fence and have a bunch of vigilantes, or weekend & armchair false patriots roaming around with automatic weapons, playing soldier. That will turn out to be catastrophic - I think the cartels have bigger guns, are more organized and are better shots.

My sympathies lie with the desperate people who travel for days and risk their lives in the desert just to get here, NOT with the drug runners or the criminals. That does not mean I am all for open borders. But have some compassion for those who are truly desperate and for those who suffocated to death after being abandoned in a semi-trailer, or while trying to bring their families across the desert.

Note I did not say they deserve a free-for-all welcome, but they do deserve humanitarian treatment.

I saw a clip in the news about a "anti-illegal" rancher in southern Arizona who had encountered an illegal on his property. He said 'how can I get angry at a young woman who was carrying an infant and had walked the desert for over three days without water'? Why the hatred towards people like that?

We let the barn door stay open for nearly a century and the horse got out (from my nephew).

Old 08-03-2010, 01:23 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I think you misunderstand. I was being facetious. I most certainly do not, nor have I ever believed in open borders. I don't know of any other country in the world which has open borders. Perhaps you do?

Unlimited illegal immigration? We've already got it. My point was that this is an old problem and no one cared when we got our cheap produce, and could employ cheap labor. We were all complicit in that; and apparently few saw the writing on the wall - that is, that illegal immigration will only continue to get worse. What the heck did people think would happen? Like InThemiddleToo said, it's a generational burden - nothing new.

Years ago, illegals and the Mexican Mafia, as it was called, were over-running the California cities closest to the border. The murders and drug arrests associated with that time (in that area) barely made national news. 'That's Cali's problem, it will never happen here.' The gangs own/ed parts of SoCal. And now they own parts of the US along the border, and even certain neighborhoods all the way up to Portland, OR. and Michigan. And we made it easy for them.

We were flourishing financially, low unemployment....we were fat, dumb and happy. Perfectly happy to take advantage of that cheap produce, cheap factory labor, etc. without giving a whit as to why it was so cheap. Like it would last forever. Then, we started exporting our jobs.

My issue is that most people on this board purport to be "surprised" by these developments. I find that an excuse for phony outrage - all of which is contrived for political purposes. Creating divisiveness for political purposes will backfire.

I am absolutely opposed to open borders. But you can't just put up a gargantuan fence and have a bunch of vigilantes, or weekend & armchair false patriots roaming around with automatic weapons, playing soldier. That will turn out to be catastrophic - I think the cartels have bigger guns, are more organized and are better shots.

My sympathies lie with the desperate people who travel for days and risk their lives in the desert just to get here, NOT with the drug runners or the criminals. That does not mean I am all for open borders. But have some compassion for those who are truly desperate and for those who suffocated to death after being abandoned in a semi-trailer, or while trying to bring their families across the desert.

Note I did not say they deserve a free-for-all welcome, but they do deserve humanitarian treatment.

I saw a clip in the news about a "anti-illegal" rancher in southern Arizona who had encountered an illegal on his property. He said 'how can I get angry at a young woman who was carrying an infant and had walked the desert for over three days without water'? Why the hatred towards people like that?

We let the barn door stay open for nearly a century and the horse got out (from my nephew).
Who is this "we" you keep talking about? It isn't "we" your regular law abiding American who was responsible for past illegal immigration nor today's huge increase in the problem. "We" didn't hire illegal aliens then or now. It is greedy business and the rich elite who did. It wasn't "we" who left our borders unsecured it was our government. So stop trying to blame your every day Joe Blow American for the past or the present.

There is no hatred towards those who are foolish enough to cross the desert in the middle of the summer or choose to be placed in semi-trailers with no ventilation or water in order to enter our country illegally. There is however objection to them breaking our immigration laws.

To my knowledge once they have managed to breach our borders they are given basic human rights according to our laws. That is all they are and should be entitled to along with swift deportation back to their homelands.

If you expect "us" to cry our eyes out over foolishness and lawlessness then you are aren't being realistic.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:33 AM

216 posts, read 198,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's what it's about. You have homeless Americans in California while illegals are put up in style in government housing.
Many are disabled vets too. I ve seen it first hand. shame on the people that forsake their own to pursue an agenda that has nothing but brought
us fiscal insolvency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration