U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 AM

117 posts, read 316,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
I would like to respond to statements made by both Benicar and Sig. I believe both of you make very valid points, BUT the solution is not with the employer. As an employer in Southern California I can assure you the majority of companies are not hiring or seeking to hire illegal immigrants knowingly. In the automotive industry I am constantly getting inquires about work, mostly from illegal immigrants. I only hire on a W-2 basis NOT an I-9 and require proper documentation. After about one years time I will receive a mismatch of SSN on an employee, and when I inquire the employee goes right down the street to another facility and gets another job. There was one time where an illegal immigrant was using his brothers information to work, they looked identical and I had no idea!! only found out after one of my employees that did not like him informed me. Enforcement of existing laws will NOT fix this issue, does anyone here know why employers love to use I-9's? after the IRCA went into effect this independent contractor status absolves the employer of any guilt for hiring an illegal immigrant, it's a widely used loophole to avoid potential fines if caught. Could you imagine subcontracting work and having to verify all of the companies employees? For example: I send a vehicle out from the repair facility to have the A/C charged, it's a sublet job (subcontracted). I go down to the business and have to verify all the employees there are eligible to work in America.. could you imagine the time and cost associated with that procedure?. We have to also understand that low skilled jobs in the southwest are saturated with illegal labor, severely depressed wages and have completely driven younger generations of Americans out of these industries. Who is going to pay for an education in auto body repair, auto mechanics, construction, etc if there is fierce competition with peanuts as wages? My entire point is that we have lost a lot of skilled American labor to illegal immigration already, and in certain industries it would be detrimental to lose illegal immigrant labor overnight. I would also like to comment on the fingerprinting, national ID, Bio ID, etc. This will not happen in our lifetime, or any time soon. People from all parties would view this as an infringement on our rights and scream "Third Reich", look at SB 1070. This is not a practical solution and will not happen. The government already tried with the Real ID act, that was a baby step that never materialized. Cutting off benefits will not work, we tried that in California with prop. 187 that the courts struck down as being unconstitutional. The anchor baby status will never go away, not without the Fourteenth amendment being repealed.. right now I see neither the Democrats or Republicans jumping on that one, They are both vying for the Hispanic vote and while the Democrats blatantly push the pro-illegal immigrant agenda the Republicans are merely paying lip service to their constituents. What is the solution? I would start by securing the border with troops, make the penalty for illegally crossing 2 years hard labor, and making EVERY local, county and state jails/prisons verify the identity of inmates, turning over those inmates to ICE after their sentences are served.
Thanks for giving the employers' side of things. Thought I feel that some companies knowingly exploit illegal immigrants and should be exposed for that when possible, I can definitely believe that there are also lots of honest and legitimate businesses who do struggle with how to verify people's identities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or