U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:47 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
I don't want a Governor in a different state making decisions of national security for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Are you saying that if someone was breaking into your house, and the authorities in charge stood by and did nothing (even encouraged it) you would also step aside and do nothing? What if they were violating a member of your family while looting your home? At what point would you feel it was necessary to defend yourself?
and if I see someone breaking into the neighbour's house - damn RIGHT I'd call 911
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 02:53 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
I had this explained to me by an Immigration Lawyer, and she says why the law is wrong is because

- Immigration is a matter of national security, not state.

- Arizona does not have the authority to deport anybody, so what are they going to do next after they arrest someone?

-It used to be...
Immigration is also a matter of state and local security, Phoenix has become the kidnapping capital of the world second only to Mexico City.

The federal government is showing a total lack of responsibility, yes it was supposed to enforce the law but it no longer does enforce it's own laws - how constitutional is that???? - but if it won't protect the states then they must do the job themselves.

Yes "used to be" - because a long time ago the federal government used to enforce laws but now it doesn't.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
If someone was prevented from having an abortion, a city police officer who has never been to D.C. would/could step in and enforce the federal law allowing abortions across the country.

This is an example of a
city police officer enforcing a federal law that his state has no control over.

Much like how a police officer in any state anywhere right now in the country can arrest someone if they are found to not have citizenship. But a state cannot pass any new laws concerning immigration until the Supreme Court ruling of 1875 stating that immigration was a federal responsibility is overturned.

You are arguing why the current law is wrong. I am arguing that the current law should be followed until it is no longer the current law.
So if children are kidnapped by a non-custodial parent and taken across state lines, you are insisting the local police would have no authority to arrest someone? If they happen to pull someone over and notice the child reported kidnapped, because it was federal laws broken, they must ignore it?

Old 08-01-2010, 02:57 PM

1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
<<Here's my question; Since Arizona police does not have the authority to deport people, what will they do once they arrest someone for coming into this country illegally?>>

The same thing they've always done when they determine someone is here illegally---Turn them over to ICE.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:57 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
I had this explained to me by an Immigration Lawyer, and she says why the law is wrong is because

- Immigration is a matter of national security, not state.

- Arizona does not have the authority to deport anybody, so what are they going to do next after they arrest someone?

- It used to be

1.) Man gets pulled over for speeding.
2.) Asked for license.
3.) Doesn't have a license, so they check his status and realize he isn't a legal citizen.
4.) Then handed off to I.C.E. and later deported.

With Arizona its now.

1.) Man "for reasons other than skin color" gets asked for his legal documents.

Another problem with the law is that legal U.S. citizens in Arizona now have the ability to sue the state if its believed that they didn't work hard enough to purse a specific illegal immigrant.

"The Act also prohibits state, county, or local officials from limiting or restricting "the enforcement of federal immigration laws to less than the full extent permitted by federal law" and provides that any legal Arizona resident can sue such agencies or officials to compel such full enforcement. If the person who brings suit prevails, that person may be entitled to reimbursement of court costs and reasonable attorney fees."
1. The issue is when handed off to ICE ice does nothing. Worse still ICE tells the local cops to relese the illegal. You seem to over look the obvious. The root cause of the law and the problem is infact due to the FED refusing to do their jobs.
An immigration lawyer explained it? Hmmm Not surprised they feel the way they do. Sort of like TORT lawyers being up in arms when anyone discusses limited tort.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:58 PM

I would suspect the same logic would follow for many federal laws - federal laws on hate crimes, the local police must now stand by and allow these even if they suspect they're being carried out. And now you should be able to transport drugs, or whatever - weapons and so on across any state line and since these are often federal laws regulating this, nothing can be done at the local level if it's observed.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Here's my question; Since Arizona police does not have the authority to deport people, what will they do once they arrest someone for coming into this country illegally?>>

The same thing they've always done when they determine someone is here illegally---Turn them over to ICE.
And Obama is making it very clear that his federal government will not deport these illegals when the authorities do pick them up -- so we're right back to the situation that brought all this about.

The State of Arizona needs to sue the federal government for it's big failure and refusal to enforce federal laws. In fact it can go further and sue the federal government for enticing illegals to break the laws.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:32 PM

301 posts, read 338,322 times
So here is my question then. Without racial profiling, how is this law going to deport illegals any faster?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:43 PM

285 posts, read 446,607 times
Quote:
At least he hasn't started an entire war based on a lie.
'What does the Iran war have anything to do with the topic of illegal immigration?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:55 PM

8,219 posts, read 11,248,855 times
Quote:
So here is my question then. Without racial profiling, how is this law going to deport illegals any faster?

No one has said nor claimed it would get them deported faster.
What has been said is that this help to stop them from infiltrating this country further and it will also serve as a deterrent.

These people are not worthy to be on our soil. If they were, they would do like some of the others do and do it legally. It is not ok to break the law.
It is a shame that, that has become so hard to comprehend in this country and that this country's citizens would accept anything less. Why would a citizen of this country want someone who defiles this country here to begin with? Beyond me......
Perhaps it is part of what some call the "dumbing down of America".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or