U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 AM
 
301 posts, read 338,322 times
Reputation: 133

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is arrogant to have and enforce our immigration laws? Is that true of every nation or is it just the U.S. you object to doing that?

No, we aren't immigrants. We are a nation of American citizens by several generations now. Who is this "we" you speak of who stole land? Aren't they all dead now along with the natives alive back then? What have they to do with us today? My ancestors didn't even come here till after the U.S. was established as a nation and under the immigration laws at the time. My ancestors didn't steal any land from anyone.

What has that to do with Mexicans anyway? Their ancestoral tribes weren't even indigenous to the U.S. Half of their ancestry (the Spaniards) came here just like the rest of the Europeans and claimed land so what are you talking about?
The reason Mexicans cannot just waltz into our beloved country is because that would destroy our economy, not, as you say, because they aren't "worthy" of our soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 AM
 
301 posts, read 338,322 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
You say that you don't have a problem with state police officers helping to enforce immigration laws yet you complain when AZ passes a law that mirrors federal law. Which is it? Please just be truthful and admit that you want open borders and amnesty because you are an extreme lefty. Yourt screen name pretty much spells it out anyway.......
Which part of my screen name is liberal, the truth, beauty, or goodness?


No you got it right pretty much there. I'm not for amnesty at all, we would get trampled and we would perhaps go into another recession.

I have a problem with Arizona making laws for something it has no legal jurisdiction over. And so does the U.S. Government.

If you don't understand that, then you really must be confused on why the Obama Admin is suing Arizona. Let me explain,

After the Civil War, states began passing their own immigration laws, so the U.S. Supreme Court decided to rule in 1875 that immigration law was a federal responsibility.

If you think that Arizona does have the legal right to do so because the Feds aren't doing their job is another argument that I may even agree with.


To be quite honest, I don't think any of us really know what we're talking about. When this immigration lawyer was explaining this all to me, it was very complex so I only got out the main ideas. But this is what I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:52 AM
 
301 posts, read 338,322 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
You are getting more and more ridiculous......

No one is being arrogant. As citizens of this country, we are bound to obey the law. If we don't then we pay the price. It should be no different for some one who is not a citizen and is here illegally.

Breaking the law, is breaking the law...it doesn't matter who enforces it.

One point no one else has mentioned in addition to the points already made is the disease these illegals are bringing into this country. That is causing a lot of public health issues. IE: whooping cough, measles and TB.

You act as though these people are being harassed for doing nothing wrong whatsoever......they are breaking the law in OUR country by being here illegally, they are murdering OUR citizens. That is NOT what this country was founded upon and damn sure isn't what it/we deserve.
I'm simply making a case for respect for immigrants, not a case for amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,032 posts, read 6,859,367 times
Reputation: 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Which part of my screen name is liberal, the truth, beauty, or goodness?


No you got it right pretty much there. I'm not for amnesty at all, we would get trampled and we would perhaps go into another recession.

I have a problem with Arizona making laws for something it has no legal jurisdiction over. And so does the U.S. Government.

If you don't understand that, then you really must be confused on why the Obama Admin is suing Arizona. Let me explain,

After the Civil War, states began passing their own immigration laws, so the U.S. Supreme Court decided to rule in 1875 that immigration law was a federal responsibility.

If you think that Arizona does have the legal right to do so because the Feds aren't doing their job is another argument that I may even agree with.


To be quite honest, I don't think any of us really know what we're talking about. When this immigration lawyer was explaining this all to me, it was very complex so I only got out the main ideas. But this is what I have.

Which part of your screen name is liberal? The touchy feely BS in it. None of what you have said in this thread it truthful, good, or beautiful. Arizona invading Iran? Enough said. Now you say you might agree with AZ.


This whole thread is typical liberal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 08:01 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
The reason Mexicans cannot just waltz into our beloved country is because that would destroy our economy, not, as you say, because they aren't "worthy" of our soil.
Mexican's have no claim to our soil by coming here illegally based on some past history. I don't care if they come here legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 08:02 AM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Ladies and Gentleman....The Republican party.
BTW-I'm a registered Democrat...

Yes, I voted for the imposter in our highest seat in the Nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
I'm simply making a case for respect for immigrants, not a case for amnesty.
What "immigrants"? This forum is about illegal immigration, not immigrants. Since when do illegal aliens deserve any respect? The only thing they are entitled to are basic human rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 08:23 AM
 
301 posts, read 338,322 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Which part of your screen name is liberal? The touchy feely BS in it. None of what you have said in this thread it truthful, good, or beautiful. Arizona invading Iran? Enough said. Now you say you might agree with AZ.


This whole thread is typical liberal
I'm sorry, but what part of truth beauty or goodness can be described as bull sh*t?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 08:26 AM
 
301 posts, read 338,322 times
Reputation: 133
I'm not going to lie, I'm 18 years old and I feel like I won this argument because everyone is starting to use ad hominems. Attacking my screen name? Really? I regret what I said about us all being immigrants, it was out of context and I wasn't making a case for amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Actually, immigration policy started to protect our economy, not that Mexicans are not "worthy" to be on holy American U.S. soil.

What is this, manifest destiny? I can't believe the arrogance of people in this country. We are all immigrants anyways. Everywhere you step in America is soil we stole from the NATIVE Americans.
This is an argument you cannot win, whether you feel personally attacked or not. People are angry and fed up. You cannot, even on the most basic level, come into an illegal immigration forum and appear to advocate for illegal immigrants and expect to be welcomed with warm fuzzies.

Your argument that we are all immigrants does not stand on merit. Even the Native Americans emigrated from elsewhere, there are no aboriginal people in the American continents. As with EVERY OTHER COUNTRY ON EARTH, the U.S. has a tumultuous history of conquest and colonization. You may rest assured that this country, pre-European contact, was not some sort of inter-tribal Utopia. Wars were fought over resources, tribes were conquered, entire peoples absorbed or killed off. Europeans were simply a bigger, badder tribe.

Be that as it may, it does not negate the fact that we are, at this point in history, a nation of laws. Either those laws are obeyed by EVERYONE, or we simply allow ourselves to disintegrate into anarchy.

Personally, I am not an immigrant. I was born in this country. That makes me a native. That I am a product of emigration cannot be denied. But the same argument can be made for any person on the planet born outside of the area of modern day Ethiopia.

So, give the "we're all immigrants" cliche a rest. Some of us may be first generation immigrants. But millions of us are native to the United States of America and as a majority, we are fed up with those who advocate for the so-called right of illegal foreign nationals to violate sovereign U.S. law at will and without consequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top