U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 10:55 PM

5,939 posts, read 3,235,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan k View Post
Please tell me what is wrong with this picture?
I have worked for companies such as Tecumseh motors, Sargento cheese, Johnsonville sausage , wausau homes and currently work for the biggest motorcycle conglomerate in the usa Ridenow powersports, but have applied for other jobs here in Phoenix in management but have been told that i need to speak spanish.
Did someone forget to inform me that we were annexed into mexico or is this what the future of our country is destined for.So in other words , i need to go back to school to learn somebody elses language even though they are even legal citizens,bull!
Alot of people dont like Sheriff Joe but as far as i am concerned, "Sheriff Joe for President", just do me a favor.When you arrest them dont give medical aid and food and a place to sleep for a few weeks while the citizens pay taxes to supply these things , just ship their butts back as soon as you find them.
I cant get free food , water, medical and a place to sleep.Someone in government needs to stand up and show some balls,they dont belong here.If they want to be citizens, they can do like so many others" apply for the right to be here".
I still say that if they want to be citizens, then they can apply and any male over 18 then serves 2 years in the military to prove they love this country, once their tour is up then they and their immediate family can be legal citizens.But come on , lets make them earn the right to be here, our boys are over there dying while they sneek across our border and live a better life than i do , now you are saying i need to learn spanish.
I dont think so, wake up people of the usa.
I think you are directing your frustration in the wrong direction. In the world of business the bottom line is profit. The business owner(s)/stockholders do not care what it takes to maximize profits: i.e. hiring non-English speaking workers because that means lower labor costs. They are paying you to get the job done and they do not care how many hoops you have to jump through to get results. If you won't do it, they'll find somebody who will. I went to school, got my degree, etc. I still have to take classes EVERY year if I want to stay current and want more money. It's like being proficient with computers. It's just another marketable skill.

Also, not all hispanic looking people are illegal and poor, some actually have money to spend and the shrew businessperson will do whatever it takes to help them part with money. A lot of Hispanics are still old school in the sense they like to establish "business relationships". If they see a merchant/business going out of their way to accomodate them, they will think of you more favorably. They'll come back and refer friends and family. Why do you think so many businesses put up signs saying "Se Habla Espanol"? They want to make money, that's why. Sadly, that's one of the reasons many of them don't learn to speak English fast enough. The marketplace makes it easy to survive "in Spanish".

Back in the day, I saw many NYC vendors speak different languages so they'd get more customers. They weren't really fluent, but they knew enough to get by and do business. Nowadays, it's a global economy. Chinese, Japanese, Germans, Indians, Italians, etc. learn English as well as other languages because they want to expand their trade/businesses. My daughter's in Europe with a church group and she tells me that in Amsterdam, ninth graders are fluent in English as well as other languages!

Reality is, the world has become smaller and faster. To remain highly marketable, you must learn new things (not just Spanish) all the time. It's all about money. Why do you think Bush wants a "guest worker program" instead of putting all English speaking welfare recipients (of all races/ethnic groups) to work? To keep business' labor costs down, and maximize profits.

Last edited by EDnurse; 07-13-2007 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-14-2007, 12:17 PM

180 posts, read 89,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Now I see where you're coming from my friend. I can understand where that would likely be the case, especially in the various countries in which the U.S.A. is losing the "All Around Favorite Imperialistic Country" popularity contest.

Which country is winning that popularity contest now, Kele? China?

Old 07-14-2007, 12:48 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy View Post
I have no clue, I was just being facetious.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:21 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,940,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00kies View Post
Why blame only the Spanish language? Cities like Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel have restaurants where their menus are completely in Chinese. At least Spanish is easier to figure out, but Oriental languages such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, etc are not.
Ha ha ha! No one ever talks about that on these boards but I don't believe most in the USA have any experience with Asian languages. Since I live near those areas, I totally know what you are talking about. At least Spanish has regular letters in the language that you can figure out -- the Asian languages don't have any of that!

It's not only the menus, it's all the store signs.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:14 AM

186 posts, read 493,963 times
Quote:
HMMMM I'm guessing the USA, Why are so many people coming here if they hate it so bad? I know I don't want them here.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
At least Spanish has regular letters in the language that you can figure out -- the Asian languages don't have any of that!
By regular letters, I suppose you are referring to the Latin alphabet. Of course Spanish uses the Latin alphabet, it’s a Romance language!

English is a Germanic language; technically speaking, it shouldn’t even be written in the Latin alphabet.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
By regular letters, I suppose you are referring to the Latin alphabet. Of course Spanish uses the Latin alphabet, it’s a Romance language!

English is a Germanic language; technically speaking, it shouldn’t even be written in the Latin alphabet.
You are correct up to a point, that point being 1066. Up until 1066, Old English was spoken in the area of the world which later became England. Old English is an Anglo-Saxon language whose roots are in Jute, Frisian, Old Danish, Old Norse and other Scandanavian languages, as well as German. This would be the language of the only surviving text we have from that time period, Beowulf.

In 1066, England was invaded and conquered by William the Conqueror during the Norman invasion. Normans were essentially Vikings from Normandy, France. Normans spoke Old French, which is a direct descendent of Latin. When Rome fell in 450 A.D., (some scholars argue 456 A.D.) Latin survived in the Church, but also became the root of Old French.

When William the Conqueror conquered England, the languages began to conflate and so English, from approximately 1066 until nearly 1500 (1485 to be exact) became Middle English, which is a complete conflation of Old French and Old English, i.e.; half Romance language, half German. Middle English was the language of Chaucer. Until about 1485, Middle English was the language of the common people, while French was the language of the English royal courts.

In 1485, Henry Tudor (Henry the 7th) declared that English would be the language of the English court. This language of the court, Modern English, became the language of the people and the language of the Renaissance writers in the period which followed. Modern English hit it's zenith in 1601. Modern English is the English language spoken today, although we cannot even begin to claim the vocabulary of the Renaissance poets and playwrights, some of the greatest writers of all time.

There is more vocabulary in English than any other language in history. Old English had its roots in German, but Modern English has absorbed every Latin word every known. Take the word "beautiful" for example. Beautiful comes from the French word "beau" or "belle" which ultimately has its roots in Latin. On the other hand, the word "good" has its roots in the German word "gud."

Modern English is a conflation (the word conflate comes from the Latin) of the Romance languages and the Germanic languages. Modern English cognates can be found in all Romance languages and Germanic languages because it has evolved down the same linguistic branch. The Romans of old would find recognizable words within Modern English as would the Norse Vikings of long ago.

And that my friends, is your Linguistics lesson for the day!

Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 AM

124 posts, read 65,667 times
I am learning Spanish because I want to help people who have trouble learning English.

My girlfriend was an ESL teacher in Malasia for two years, and she said that learning English is very, very difficult and not an overnight process. So, I don't expect our friends from the South to learn English that quickly. When I was trying to get into the peace corps after college, I was fully expecting to have to learn another language on the double (quickly), and the prospect was rather daunting.

I figure that it's worth it to learn as much as I can about the world and the people that inhabit it. When I was completing my undergraduate studies, I did not take up as many study abroad programs as I would have liked, and now that I am in graduate school and working full time, I will probably not have the option to explore the world for a long time. So in the meantime, I would like to strengthen my worldliness at home so that I can assist our newcomers.

And, being mad at them and refusing to learn their language won't make them go away. Back where I am from in NYC, there are plenty of Italians, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc. who use their own language in everyday society and it works fine.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
And that my friends, is your Linguistics lesson for the day!
Thanks, Kele

Yes, I know Modern English vocabulary has countless words that derive from Latin; however, English is not a Romance language.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Kele

Yes, I know Modern English vocabulary has countless words that derive from Latin; however, English is not a Romance language.
Yes, of course...English is not one of the "five" basic Romance languages, (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Romanian for those who are unsure) and it is not categorized as such, but it is derived from the Romance languages. Modern English cannot be, by any theory of linguistic study, be categorized as a strictly Germanic language. Old English however, can be.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to exercise my Linguistic Anthropology courses. Because my degree is in Physical Anthropology, I rarely use what I learned in Linguistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or