U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-08-2007, 04:25 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Reputation: 6264

Advertisements

People here who are saying we are profliling when we say we have a pretty good idea who is illegal just haven't been around enough legal vs. illegal people to know...

 
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
This story makes about as much sense as all the others this person has told about supposedly confronting illegal aliens. I don't believe that it actually happened.
Perhaps because you lack the resolve you doubt others ability to stand up and do whats right? I have turned illegals in as well as company's I knew actively hired them. One being Taylor beef.
Not all of us have forgotten that in america americans should come first.
 
Old 11-08-2007, 04:35 PM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
Reputation: 1423
Well spanish is very important, if you know it you can communicate with the rest of Latin America and Spain (Brazil included) why Brazil? because if you speak spanish and english learning portuguese is a cakewalk, and you can mixture both to be understood and understand.

Dear NewToCa, I hope you don't find my post a violation of the TOS, if you can see the words are so similar that it's almost imposible not to know what they mean in the foreign language.

English: Attention
Spanish: Atencion
Portuguese: Atençao

English: Vibration
Spanish: Vibracion
Portuguese: Vibraçao

English: Energy
Spanish: Energia
Portuguese: Energia

English: Date
Portugese: Data
Spanish: Fecha

English: Sport
Porgutuese: Esporte
Spanish: Deporte

English: Horrible
Spanish: Horrible
Portuguese: Horrivel

English: Baggage
Portuguese: Baggagem
Spanish: Equipaje

English: Day
Portuguese: Dia
Spanish: Dia

English: Music
Spanish: Musica
Portuguese: Musica

English: Frequency
Spanish: Frecuencia
Portuguese: Frequencia

English: Engage
Spanish: Enfrascar
Portuguese: Engajar

English: Bargain
Portuguese: Barganha
Spanish: Ganga

English: Pirahna
Portuguese: Piranha
Spanish: Piraña

English: Pirate
Spanish: Pirata
Portuguese: Pirata

English: Port
Portuguese: Porto
Spanish: Puerto

English: Banana
Spanish: Banana (in some countries, but everyone will know what you are talking about)
Portuguese: Banana
^^^^ Triple threat???

As countries in America Latina keep raising in influence and economics more and more trade will be done in the Americas by American countries.

And who knows maybe 300 years in the future we'll be speaking at least in the Americas a new hybrid language composed of the mixture of English, Spanish, French and Portuguese, a new romance?

Love and Light!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-08-2007 at 05:07 PM..
 
Old 11-08-2007, 06:34 PM
 
1,650 posts, read 3,364,864 times
Reputation: 1121
I worked for a bordertown school district south of Yuma, Arizona and I was treated like crap because I didn't speak Spanish. The town I worked in was a refuge for illegal immigrants. Some of the students even admitted to being illegal. I mean we are supposed to be teaching the kids English so why did they care if I could speak Spanish or not? My principal would always belittle me and refused to help me when I would have students who wouldn't behave. My students even told me that the only reason they wouldn't behave in my class is that I am white and don't speak Spanish. My principal did nothing about it. All I have to say is NEVER ACCEPT A TEACHING POSITION IN A BORDERTOWN. Not only did I get treated like crap for not speaking Spanish, but I had to have an interpreter with me if I needed to go somewhere outside of school because I don't speak Spanish. They speak Spanish in all of the stores and gas stations and no one in this town spoke a word of English.
 
Old 11-09-2007, 11:31 AM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Reputation: 6264
The big point here is that you are a victim of racism.
 
Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM
 
64 posts, read 80,854 times
Reputation: 16
To answer the question that originated this thread: Why do you need to speak Spanish? For the same reason we Mexicans and people from (I don't know) the rest of the world need to speak English in order to get better-paid jobs... because in some jobs we have to deal with people from other countries who don't speak our language. Like it or not, the positions that require Spanish do that because it's something needed or at least benefitial to their department.

Lots of English-speakers, especially from the US, think it's a given that the rest of the world has to learn, or has already learned, to speak English, so they don't need to learn other languages. Unfortunately for them, it's only natural that for lots of jobs people will be required to learn Spanish because they are in a continent in which a huuuge majority is Spanish-speaking, ie America. To those people who still think that Spanish does not have an effect in the whole continent culture by now as a second language, I suggest they move their stuff to the United Kingdom (I would say Europe, but then they will have the same problem with Germans, French, Austrians, uzw, uzw). That would spare them from a lot of frustration.
 
Old 12-17-2008, 02:44 PM
 
17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Reputation: 8519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishRules View Post
To answer the question that originated this thread: Why do you need to speak Spanish? For the same reason we Mexicans and people from (I don't know) the rest of the world need to speak English in order to get better-paid jobs... because in some jobs we have to deal with people from other countries who don't speak our language. Like it or not, the positions that require Spanish do that because it's something needed or at least benefitial to their department.

Lots of English-speakers, especially from the US, think it's a given that the rest of the world has to learn, or has already learned, to speak English, so they don't need to learn other languages. Unfortunately for them, it's only natural that for lots of jobs people will be required to learn Spanish because they are in a continent in which a huuuge majority is Spanish-speaking, ie America. To those people who still think that Spanish does not have an effect in the whole continent culture by now as a second language, I suggest they move their stuff to the United Kingdom (I would say Europe, but then they will have the same problem with Germans, French, Austrian, uzw, uzw).


Yeah. I'm just amazed that when you go to Latin America, everyone seems to speak English, yet the "Hispanics" we get moving to the United States appear to be the only ones from their entire countries who don't know English.


BTW, it's 10x easier for a foreigner to learn English, specifically places in Latin America, when they are inundated with American media. It's AMAZING how much you can learn by watching a foreign program with English subtitles, and in many Latin American countries, so much TV are American TV shows with Spanish subtitles.
 
Old 12-17-2008, 02:53 PM
 
64 posts, read 80,854 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah. I'm just amazed that when you go to Latin America, everyone seems to speak English, yet the "Hispanics" we get moving to the United States appear to be the only ones from their entire countries who don't know English.


BTW, it's 10x easier for a foreigner to learn English, specifically places in Latin America, when they are inundated with American media. It's AMAZING how much you can learn by watching a foreign program with English subtitles, and in many Latin American countries, so much TV are American TV shows with Spanish subtitles.
Well, I'll have to correct you here: Definitely not everyone speaks English, just the people who have to work at restaurants and hotels or any other tourist sites. Other than that, the people who speak English is fewer than you think. About the TV shows, that information is also inaccurate. All the American TV shows are dubbed in Spanish. Only the ones shown in cable TV are subtitled, and even those end up being dubbed eventually. On the other hand, I wouldn't trust learning anything by subtitles, as those are not precisely accurate, both in English and Spanish.

Quote:
when they are inundated with American media.
Now the US is also inundated with Spanish-speaking media, but that doesn't mean that it's easier for English-speakers to learn Spanish, so the same applies viceversa.

Last edited by SpanishRules; 12-17-2008 at 03:05 PM..
 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
What percent of Americans actually even leave the border more than a couple of times their entire life? I'd bet 50% never leave beyond the border and if they do it's some place that speaks English and it would only be a couple of times in their lifetime.

So tell me why anyone would NEED to learn to speak Spanish if the only Spanish speakers they encounter (that cannot speak English) are here in the US?

Another question. Exactly how would speaking Spanish enhance the average American financially? I'd guess zero since communicating to a laborer isn't a big priority! Now if you are entering a field like International Communications (my field) then it makes a lot of sense as it can be quite lucrative but for the average wage earner that means nothing.

Remember, the emphasis is NEEDS.
 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:41 PM
 
64 posts, read 80,854 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What percent of Americans actually even leave the border more than a couple of times their entire life? I'd bet 50% never leave beyond the border and if they do it's some place that speaks English and it would only be a couple of times in their lifetime. (...)
Remember, the emphasis is NEEDS.
The issue here is not speaking Spanish when you leave the border, but the need to speak Spanish for certain job positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So tell me why anyone would NEED to learn to speak Spanish if the only Spanish speakers they encounter (that cannot speak English) are here in the US?
I think you just answered your own question here: Because they don't speak English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Another question. Exactly how would speaking Spanish enhance the average American financially? I'd guess zero since communicating to a laborer isn't a big priority! Now if you are entering a field like International Communications (my field) then it makes a lot of sense as it can be quite lucrative but for the average wage earner that means nothing.
Well, for one they'd have a job (that requires Spanish), and that in itself is financial enhancement. Communicating with a laborer is actually a very big priority, as the laborers are the ones that make the business function. As for it meaning nothing to the average wage earner: That's quite the speculation, but let's assume you're right. Even in that case, then the average wage earner doesn't need to learn Spanish, because they already have a job (also assuming that that certain job does not need to deal with Spanish speakers). Here what is being discussed are job postings or jobs who require Spanish-speaking, and your mention of the average wage earner is too broad, because there are average wage earners who actually need to speak Spanish.

Last edited by SpanishRules; 12-17-2008 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top