U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Reputation: 17694

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishRules View Post
No, I don't think you got me. First , usually the businesses that employ illegals are legal. Second, I didn't mention "illegal business" or "unemployable" anywhere.
In the English language or slang thereof, "gotcha" means I understood what you just said. Sorry for the confusion.

A business is not legal if the employees are not here legally. The business is also not legal if said employees are using false documents to be hired. It is no different than if the business didn't pay taxes. If you don't believe me check the Federal statutes against hiring Illegal Aliens. The busts of these illegal businesses are happening daily.

Here is an example:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/15/us/15hiring.html

 
Old 12-17-2008, 07:56 PM
 
64 posts, read 80,886 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In the English language or slang thereof, "gotcha" means I understood what you just said. Sorry for the confusion.

A business is not legal if the employees are not here legally. The business is also not legal if said employees are using false documents to be hired. It is no different than if the business didn't pay taxes. If you don't believe me check the Federal statutes against hiring Illegal Aliens. The busts of these illegal businesses are happening daily.

Here is an example:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/15/us/15hiring.html
I'm sorry if you did not understand what I told you, but what I said precisely is that you didn't understand me.

About the business not being legal, I would agree with you, assuming that those busted business were being definitely closed by the government. However, the only thing the government does is take the illegals out of the country. But the businesses just pay the fine mentioned in that link you're giving, and then continue hiring other illegals. So the businesses themselves must not be that illegal, if the government allows them to keep operating.
 
Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Camberville
11,397 posts, read 16,003,306 times
Reputation: 18050
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah. I'm just amazed that when you go to Latin America, everyone seems to speak English, yet the "Hispanics" we get moving to the United States appear to be the only ones from their entire countries who don't know English.
Which Latin America are you going to? Certainly not the one to the south of the United States... Unless, of course, you mean the retirement colonies in Mexico full of Americans who speak not a word of Spanish and get indignant when their needs are not catered to in English.

No one is forcing anyone to learn Spanish. However, don't whine when better jobs and opportunities pass you by. Spanish is a marketable skill, just as computer programming, engineering, drafting, and construction are skills. You wouldn't question needing any of those skills for specific jobs. Why is it so shocking that speaking Spanish or another foreign language is required for a job?

I use Spanish more on a daily basis than any math, science, or history class I ever took in high school- for various jobs, academics, travel, and general day to day life. I've worked my butt off to reach the level of fluency I have and I will reap the benefits of it. I didn't take the time to get a degree in engineering or learn Korean, and likewise, I'm not going to go whine all over a message board about how jobs with those requirements are not available to me.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 01:58 AM
 
Location: Reeds Spring, MO
974 posts, read 1,352,244 times
Reputation: 453
i have to agree with most posters. if you are working in america then i shouldnt have to learn your language. if i have a job where i deal with french/spanish/russian/korean etc... then i would learn those languages, but if im at home working with people around me, then i shouldnt have to learn another language.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 05:45 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
i have to agree with most posters. if you are working in america then i shouldnt have to learn your language. if i have a job where i deal with french/spanish/russian/korean etc... then i would learn those languages, but if im at home working with people around me, then i shouldnt have to learn another language.
If I had to work/live in a country where Engish is not widely used------------I would make damn sure to learn the local language out of respect, if nothing else.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 06:46 AM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,694,271 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
My sister moved to Miami after high school and immediately learned how to speak Spanish the way Cubans do so she could make a living selling real estate. My daughter went to North Miami to open a business and learned how to speak Spanish so she could relate to both her clients and thier animals.
Go to the immigration forum you will find a lot of people that think English should be the only language spoken.

I cant fathom living here S.Florida and not knowing Spanish. Yes you can get by but with difficulty.
I never speak English it means the difference between a large slice of pizza or small one for same price if you order in Spanish vs English (actually I eat 4 slices not 1)

I have seen women "hiss" at women who did not speak Spanish ESP in my area of Doral. Ask your daughter..
While have never seen men who do not speak English "hiss" at others who did not which I find interesting and have seen it enough to notice the difference.


Cubans or not the huge amount of legals coming here from all over Latin America who are not going to learn English as no need to other than tourist area can make it very hard for non Spanish speakers.

The kids do learn English the adults do not.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Reputation: 22159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
I cant fathom living here S.Florida and not knowing Spanish. Yes you can get by but with difficulty.
I never speak English it means the difference between a large slice of pizza or small one for same price if you order in Spanish vs English (actually I eat 4 slices not 1)

I have seen women "hiss" at women who did not speak Spanish ESP in my area of Doral. Ask your daughter..
While have never seen men who do not speak English "hiss" at others who did not which I find interesting and have seen it enough to notice the difference.


Cubans or not the huge amount of legals coming here from all over Latin America who are not going to learn English as no need to other than tourist area can make it very hard for non Spanish speakers.

The kids do learn English the adults do not.

I think it's wrong and extremely ungrateful that we provide refuge to all these people and they turn around and insist we must learn their language.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:50 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Reputation: 17694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
I cant fathom living here S.Florida and not knowing Spanish. Yes you can get by but with difficulty.
I never speak English it means the difference between a large slice of pizza or small one for same price if you order in Spanish vs English (actually I eat 4 slices not 1)

I have seen women "hiss" at women who did not speak Spanish ESP in my area of Doral. Ask your daughter..
While have never seen men who do not speak English "hiss" at others who did not which I find interesting and have seen it enough to notice the difference.


Cubans or not the huge amount of legals coming here from all over Latin America who are not going to learn English as no need to other than tourist area can make it very hard for non Spanish speakers.

The kids do learn English the adults do not.
my Sis used to live in S Florida and she said it's like any other large City. If you keep to the wealthier, touristy sections you'd never know. Step off into the poorer hoods, then ya sure.

If I go into a small shop in San Ysidro I'd benefit from Spanish but WTH would I be doing there? I may as well go to TJ where it is cheaper. At least on Revolution everyone knows English.

So my point still stands to the above Illegal supporters (wasn't speaking to you Luiso on this point ). Why would the average American need to speak Spanish?
 
Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 AM
 
1,398 posts, read 6,020,170 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
I cant fathom living here S.Florida and not knowing Spanish. Yes you can get by but with difficulty.
I never speak English it means the difference between a large slice of pizza or small one for same price if you order in Spanish vs English (actually I eat 4 slices not 1)

I have seen women "hiss" at women who did not speak Spanish ESP in my area of Doral. Ask your daughter..
While have never seen men who do not speak English "hiss" at others who did not which I find interesting and have seen it enough to notice the difference.

Cubans or not the huge amount of legals coming here from all over Latin America who are not going to learn English as no need to other than tourist area can make it very hard for non Spanish speakers.

The kids do learn English the adults do not.
While I repped you for recounting this extremely unpleasant truth and thank you for posting it here, your post underscores why I am less than interested in learning the language and culture of this demographic of people in my country. How rude!!! How ungrateful !!! How uncivilized and anti-social !!! AND HOW BIGOTED AND XENOPHOBIC, the very antithesis of being an American citizen, whether born or naturalized. Every other demographic learned English even while retaining their own former countries' cultural proclivities. English allows us all, from all over the globe, to communicate with one another as Americans. English is our lingua franca, and remains the language of global commerce.

Last edited by fastfilm; 12-18-2008 at 09:33 AM..
 
Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM
 
64 posts, read 80,886 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why would the average American need to speak Spanish?
Who said the average US citizen needed to speak Spanish just for the sake of it? And this is the problem here, precisely. A thread which was supposed to be about exclusively of JOBS that require Spanish, and here come a bunch of anti-immigrants who twist it enough to fit and for other anti-immigrants to agree with them.
Quote:
How uncivilized and anti-social !!! AND HOW BIGOTED AND XENOPHOBIC, the very antithesis of being an American citizen, whether born or naturalized.
Look who's talking...

The perfect excuse to vent all your insecurities, low self-esteem and self-deprecation by using a whole culture as a scapegoat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top