U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:27 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,052,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Animals that grow up in a Spanish speaking home understand Spanish, or didn't anyone realize that. Parrots speak in Spanish and other languages also.

I knew what you meant, the picture was just too funny.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:33 PM

450 posts, read 747,347 times
Here is an very interesting commentary on the subject.

YouTube - Immigration Education, Bilingual or Spanish Speaking?

Then

Ted Kennedy says it all

YouTube - Teddy Kennedy sings... en Espanol!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:36 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,052,974 times
English will be our offical language! Why oh why do all the good Kennedys die.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:42 PM

54,145 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
It's a political issue! You are in the right place. There are those on the left that would turn America over to another country if they could.

Yeah, I'm sure glad nobody on the right thinks it's a good idea to send American jobs to India or anything like that

Old 06-24-2007, 02:01 PM

105 posts, read 291,056 times
I just dont get it , now my kids are even getting off school for spanish holidays like cinco de maio, next thing you know well have holidays for dead spanish presidents.The reason so many americans are being underpaid here in phoenix is because people are paying the illegals $2 an hour to cut their lawn.Tell you what next time you need your lawn cut go down to the homeless shelter and find yourself a family that has kids and offer them the money.
JFK please come back.
And yes this is political because we do have the resources to stop this immigration but instead we are wasting our boys lives over in a country that will never be saved.If we leave it will go back to the way it always was.Bring our boys home to protect our borders.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:15 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,375,648 times
The thing that bothers me about this question is...you have how many companies out there demanding employees that are bilingual...then you also have companies out there who hire people who can't speak English...

I went to Burger King the other day, the girl who took my order couldn't speak English well enough to take my order correctly?

How is that right?

Old 06-24-2007, 02:18 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,306,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
The thing that bothers me about this question is...you have how many companies out there demanding employees that are bilingual...then you also have companies out there who hire people who can't speak English...

I went to Burger King the other day, the girl who took my order couldn't speak English well enough to take my order correctly?

How is that right?
It is so NOT right!! It drives me crazy when I can't understand a foreigner who works in customer service of some company or wherever. I get so blasted frustrated, I feel like screaming. I have to ask him/her many, many times to repeat what he/she is saying before I can even begin to understand. Yes, it raises my blood pressure dramatically.

Last edited by KewGee; 06-24-2007 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 06-24-2007, 02:21 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,375,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
It is so NOT right!! It drives me crazy when I can't understand a foreigner who works in customer service of some company or wherever. I get so blasted frustrated, I feel like screaming. I have to ask him/her many, many times to repeat what he/she is saying before I can even begin to understand. Yes, it raises my blood pressure dramatically.
My thing is I wouldn't care if the person was working in a way that didn't require them to communicate with English speakers...but how do you hire people who can't speak English and thats the MAIN part of their job??

Old 06-24-2007, 02:24 PM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeah, I'm sure glad nobody on the right thinks it's a good idea to send American jobs to India or anything like that
Once again Burdell, spot on !

And though I agree that English should be spoken by all who wish to live and work in the US ( at least as long as English is the official language !) , I wonder how many people on this forum who go abroad just expect the locals to speak English and get belligerent when they don't? And how many people expect all their business partners to speak English too? There is an assumption from Anglophone nations that other languages are somehow "inferior" and that English should be the main point if reference, which is pretty arrogant.
I can't see how being bilingual can hurt anyone though, immigration issue or not. Surely this is better than being monolingual? If I had kids I would want them to speak as many languages as possible, as it can only be an asset in both the business world and your personal life ( if you intend to understand other cultures anyway).

Old 06-24-2007, 02:25 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,374,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan k View Post
Please tell me what is wrong with this picture?
I have worked for companies such as Tecumseh motors, Sargento cheese, Johnsonville sausage , wausau homes and currently work for the biggest motorcycle conglomerate in the usa Ridenow powersports, but have applied for other jobs here in Phoenix in management but have been told that i need to speak spanish.
Did someone forget to inform me that we were annexed into mexico or is this what the future of our country is destined for.So in other words , i need to go back to school to learn somebody elses language even though they are even legal citizens,bull!
In Orlando, Tampa, Miami, West Palm Beach, PBC, Port St Lucie... all in Florida.... there are very FEW jobs you would qualify for without speaking Spanish. The last law firm I worked for openly said they would NO longer hire anyone who was not fluent in Spanish. Note the word "fluent". That means native-like proficiency. So even if you try to learn Spanish, that would NOT suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I refuse to learn it. If it meant losing my job, so be it. This is America and I will speak English and so should other Americans and illegals as well.
America is THE only country in the world that is OK with catering to a foreign language, brought by a swarm of illegals crossing the border daily!! No other country in the world has "become bilingual" because illegal aliens demand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
My sister moved to Miami after high school and immediately learned how to speak Spanish the way Cubans do so she could make a living selling real estate. My daughter went to North Miami to open a business and learned how to speak Spanish so she could relate to both her clients and thier animals.
Go to the immigration forum you will find a lot of people that think English should be the only language spoken.
Miami's official language IS Spanish. Now they are trying to make Miami bilingual (Spanish and Hatian Creole). I had a Russian couple coming to work on a temp work visa in a Miami hotel and they said they did NOT learn English, as they expected. They ended up learning Spanish and going back to Russia frustrated they spent 8 months working in Miami to try and improve their English and they only learned Spanish. Their goal was to work temp in America and improve their English for an airport job in Russia and they went back thinking no one speaks English in "America" (Miami).

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
It's a political issue! You are in the right place. There are those on the left that would turn America over to another country if they could.
It IS a political issue. Thanks for pointing it out.

[quote=KewGee;942647]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post

Maybe the pets only understood commands spoken in Spanish so when she wanted them to get "down", she had to tell them in Spanish.
Oh yeah. The pets are told "calla te" (shut up), "sienta" (sit), etc etc. If you go to Russia or China, their pets are given commands in Russian and Chinese!

In Orlando, I often heard "sienta" when people were walking their dogs. I can remember a handful of times when I actually heard people speak English anywhere in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or