U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 05:30 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,020,170 times

Advertisements

So the retraction is supposed to read that the foreign-born, spanish-speaking women hissing at an American citizen for speaking English in America is the epitome of cultural politeness and generosity towards one's fellow humans? I don't understand your P.O.V. I also repped Luiso for his plainspeaking: I don't "shoot the messenger" regarding posting unfortunate truths.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,641,701 times
You don't need to speak Spanish, but it's very awesome to be able to communicate with more than 1/2 a billion people in this ever-shrinking world (English speakers: 322,000,000 + Spanish speakers 332,000,000 = 654,000,000).

Old 12-18-2008, 05:48 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Being bilingual has its rewards but it should always be by choice.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:28 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
You don't need to speak Spanish, but it's very awesome to be able to communicate with more than 1/2 a billion people in this ever-shrinking world (English speakers: 322,000,000 + Spanish speakers 332,000,000 = 654,000,000).
Spanish is a provincial language whereas English is the lingua franca of the world----------much like Latin was ca. 2,000 years ago.

Face it: outside of most of Latin America and Spain, Spanish is of little importance.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:31 PM

32,804 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
1Angrytaxpayer, Fastfilm.........just ignore all responses from this troll.
.....It's obvious he's only here to divert the topic and bait someone into a racial debate.
That's pretty obvious

Old 12-18-2008, 06:32 PM

32,804 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Spanish is a provincial language whereas English is the lingua franca of the world----------much like Latin was ca. 2,000 years ago.

Face it: outside of most of Latin America and Spain, Spanish is of little importance.

DING

And I wanted to rep Luiso but I have to spread the wealth before I can

Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 PM

28,188 posts, read 43,469,993 times
I'm not going to read the whole thread, since I already know what it says... so my answer to the original question is "why not?" I spoke fluent Spanish by the time I was like 13 years old, and my family has no Spanish-speaking heritage - so if a child could learn it that easily, I'd have to call you lazy or lacking in common sense. If you know having a language skill could make you MUCH more employable, what reason do you have not to learn? Almost every country in the world requires multilingualism of their citizens, so why are Americans so stubborn and egotistical? Maybe because everyone else caters to us, and we know there will always be an English-speaker in earshot. But then you all complain about immigrants expecting us to "cater" to them, which I find rather ironic. Oh well, you can all stick with English, and I'll think of you when I cash that bonus "bilingual pay" I get every month. Bueno!

P.S. I leave the U.S. borders about once a year, and have been to Mexico 5 times (I think), Costa Rica, and a few other Spanish-speaking countries. So to the person who said 50% of Americans only leave the country once in their lifetime, maybe that's only true where you live... because most people I know have traveled internationally quite a few times. I dunno, perhaps it is only around 50%, but why is that relevant? Every foreign country I've visited had people who spoke English EVERYWHERE, and I bet many of them have never visited England, US, Canada, etc.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-18-2008 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 06:43 PM

28,188 posts, read 43,469,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Being bilingual has its rewards but it should always be by choice.
It is. Where did you read that ALL Americans were REQUIRED to learn Spanish? If you're referring to individual employers requiring it, you are more than welcome to not apply for that job! Plenty of jobs don't require Spanish skills - in fact, plenty don't even require proper English from American-born citizens. And if you're referring to language classes in school, that has always been a requirement for graduation... and most schools offer a few languages to choose from (my tiny high school had Spanish, French & Chinese).

Btw, speaking Spanish was not a requirement for my job, but they offer extra pay if you speak ANY second language... and Spanish is highly desirable, since I work for a public library in a town that's about 35% Hispanic. Since many of our Hispanic patrons come in for books/documents on immigration and learning English, it would be rather stupid for us to not have any Spanish-speaking staff. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to get the right materials, and then you'd all complain when they haven't learned English or immigrated properly.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-18-2008 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 06:49 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm not even going to read the whole thread, since I already know what it says... so my answer to the original question is "why not?" I spoke fluent Spanish by the time I was like 13 years old, and my family has no Spanish-speaking heritage - so if a child could learn it that easily, I'd have to call you lazy or lacking in common sense. If you know having a language skill could make you MUCH more employable, what reason do you have not to learn? Almost every country in the world requires multilingualism of their citizens, so why are Americans so stubborn and egotistical? Maybe because everyone else caters to us, and we know there will always be an English-speaker in earshot. But then you all complain about immigrants expecting us to "cater" to them, which I find rather ironic. Oh well, you can all stick with English, and I'll think of you when I cash that bonus "bilingual pay" I get every month. Adios!

P.S. I leave the U.S. borders about once a year, and have been to Mexico 5 times (I think), Costa Rica, and a few other Spanish-speaking countries. So to the person who said 50% of Americans only leave the country once in their lifetime, maybe that's only true where you live... because most people I know have traveled internationally quite a few times.
I have been out of the USA 6 times and; suffice to say: with the possible exception of Australia or New Zealand---------I have no desire to live anywhere else.

That stated: I would like to visit Berlin and Vancouver, BC one day

As for Mexico: till that nation is under US control; lock, stock and barrel--------I will never set foot there. The exploding drug violence there is reason alone to avoid that Third World place.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:51 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm not even going to read the whole thread, since I already know what it says... so my answer to the original question is "why not?" I spoke fluent Spanish by the time I was like 13 years old, and my family has no Spanish-speaking heritage - so if a child could learn it that easily, I'd have to call you lazy or lacking in common sense. If you know having a language skill could make you MUCH more employable, what reason do you have not to learn? Almost every country in the world requires multilingualism of their citizens, so why are Americans so stubborn and egotistical? Maybe because everyone else caters to us, and we know there will always be an English-speaker in earshot. But then you all complain about immigrants expecting us to "cater" to them, which I find rather ironic. Oh well, you can all stick with English, and I'll think of you when I cash that bonus "bilingual pay" I get every month. Adios!

P.S. I leave the U.S. borders about once a year, and have been to Mexico 5 times (I think), Costa Rica, and a few other Spanish-speaking countries. So to the person who said 50% of Americans only leave the country once in their lifetime, maybe that's only true where you live... because most people I know have traveled internationally quite a few times.
Most countries like the USA require a second language to be studied in H.S. Like in the USA H.S. level language courses are of poor quality and the end result is people who can count to 100 and know a few catch phrases. I am well traveled thanks to the US Navy and a personal love for travel. I have been all over Europe and have met more folks who didn't speak more than their native tongue than those who were bilingual.
I have been to several Asian countries and have encountered more bilinguals there by far. My wife for example speaks 5 languages. Her Daughter speaks 2 and her nieses all speak english. The nephews? LOL some speak english some don't. Most speak not only Thai but lao. Some chinese and some japanese. I can speak Thai so I am fine regardless.
Here are some stats on americans travel habits.... They will disprove your assumption that most americans travel outside of the country.

How many Americans own passports? (Phil Gyford’s website)
http://www.tinet.ita.doc.gov/view/f-1999-11-001/index.html?ti_cart_cookie=20001013.124413.08942?ti _cart_cookie=20030128.183005.24769
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or