U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-18-2008, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It is. Where did you read that ALL Americans were REQUIRED to learn Spanish? If you're referring to individual employers requiring it, you are more than welcome to not apply for that job! Plenty of jobs don't require Spanish skills - in fact plenty don't even require proper English from American-born citizens. And if you're referring to language classes in school, that has always been a requirement for graduation... and most schools offer a few languages to choose from (my tiny high school had Spanish, French & Chinese).

P.S. Speaking Spanish was not a requirement for my job, but they offer extra pay if you speak ANY second language - and Spanish is highly desirable, since I work for a public library in a town that's about 35% Hispanic. Since MANY of our Hispanic patrons come in for books/documents on immigration and learning English, it would be rather stupid for us to not have any Spanish-speaking staff. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to get the right materials, and then you'd all complain when they haven't learned English or immigrated properly.
Gizmo you must have me confused with someone else. I never claimed spanish was a required study. In fact I never posted or made any of the claims you directed at me. In fact I said the same thing as you in regards to: Employers that require a second language.
as for the travel question.
U.S. Resident Travel To Canada, Mexico and Overseas Countries Historical Visitation Outbound - 1989 - 1999

 
Old 12-18-2008, 06:55 PM
 
64 posts, read 80,842 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It is. Where did you read that ALL Americans were REQUIRED to learn Spanish? If you're referring to individual employers requiring it, you are more than welcome to not apply for that job! Plenty of jobs don't require Spanish skills - in fact plenty don't even require proper English from American-born citizens. And if you're referring to language classes in school, that has always been a requirement for graduation... and most schools offer a few languages to choose from (my tiny high school had Spanish, French & Chinese).
Gizmo, I suggest you don't even bother to say what you just said. These guys will only call you a troll and childish because "you refuse to see the facts."

Just look at ArizonaBear's previous post, and see how the real trolls take the first opportunity to vent their ignorance.

Quote:
That stated: I would like to visit Berlin and Vancouver, BC one day
Poor Germans...
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishRules View Post
Gizmo, I suggest you don't even bother to say what you just said. These guys will only call you a troll and childish because "you refuse to see the facts."

Just look at ArizonaBear's previous post, and see how the real trolls take the first opportunity to vent their ignorance.

Poor Germans...
Which facts??? This post? My link will demonstrate the lack of veracity of the post in question.
Originally Posted by gizmo980
. So to the person who said 50% of Americans only leave the country once in their lifetime, maybe that's only true where you live... because most people I know have traveled internationally quite a few times.
http://www.tinet.ita.doc.gov/view/f-1999-11-001/index.html?ti_cart_cookie=20001013.124413.08942?ti _cart_cookie=20030128.183005.24769
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Reputation: 18557
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Most countries like the USA require a second language to be studied in H.S. Like in the USA H.S. level language courses are of poor quality and the end result is people who can count to 100 and know a few catch phrases. I am well traveled thanks to the US Navy and a personal love for travel. I have been all over Europe and have met more folks who didn't speak more than their native tongue than those who were bilingual.
I have been to several Asian countries and have encountered more bilinguals there by far. My wife for example speaks 5 languages. Her Daughter speaks 2 and her nieses all speak english. The nephews? LOL some speak english some don't. Most speak not only Thai but lao. Some chinese and some japanese. I can speak Thai so I am fine regardless.
You talk Thai? Oh yes, he talk Thai! Sorry, couldn't resist a "Meet the Parents" reference. But yeah, that was pretty much my point, that only Americans seem to be uni-lingual (is that a word?)... we do require language classes, but as you said, they aren't very good in comparison to other countries. My sister is already teaching my 14 month-old niece to speak Spanish, and I think that's the best way to do it - start as young as possible, and it will always come easily to them. No harm in learning another language, especially as our world's borders get fuzzier & fuzzier.

Quote:
Here are some stats on americans travel habits.... They will disprove your assumption that most americans travel outside of the country.

How many Americans own passports? (Phil Gyford’s website)
http://www.tinet.ita.doc.gov/view/f-1999-11-001/index.html?ti_cart_cookie=20001013.124413.08942?ti _cart_cookie=20030128.183005.24769
I actually amended my statement on that, but then two of you quoted my original... so I just re-edited, and you might want to read the added part. I know a lot of Americans don't travel outside of the US, but I'm still not sure how that is relevant.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Reputation: 18557
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Gizmo you must have me confused with someone else. I never claimed spanish was a required study. In fact I never posted or made any of the claims you directed at me. In fact I said the same thing as you in regards to: Employers that require a second language.
Nope, didn't confuse you with anyone... hence the reason I said "IF you are referring to blah blah blah" because I wasn't sure what you meant. Just used your comments as a jumping-off point, since you implied Spanish is required around the US.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Reputation: 18557
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Which facts??? This post? My link will demonstrate the lack of veracity of the post in question.
Originally Posted by gizmo980
. So to the person who said 50% of Americans only leave the country once in their lifetime, maybe that's only true where you live... because most people I know have traveled internationally quite a few times.
http://www.tinet.ita.doc.gov/view/f-1999-11-001/index.html?ti_cart_cookie=20001013.124413.08942?ti _cart_cookie=20030128.183005.24769
Read my edited post, please. I realized it was a biased statement, which is why I amended it & added that I have no idea of the actual stats. I actually changed it completely, until somebody else quoted my original - so in fairness I added that sentence back, but I might clean this up later. But arguing semantics is irrelevant, and I'm still waiting to hear an ACTUAL response to my comments in that post... rather than focusing on a few words, which I knew you would all do (and the main reason I changed it minutes later).
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You talk Thai? Oh yes, he talk Thai! Sorry, couldn't resist a "Meet the Parents" reference. But yeah, that was pretty much my point, that only Americans seem to be uni-lingual (is that a word?)... we do require language classes, but as you said, they aren't very good in comparison to other countries. My sister is already teaching my 14 month-old niece to speak Spanish, and I think that's the best way to do it - start as young as possible, and it will always come easily to them. No harm in learning another language, especially as our world's borders get fuzzier & fuzzier.



I actually amended my statement on that, but then two of you quoted my original... so I just re-edited, and you might want to read the added part. I know a lot of Americans don't travel outside of the US, but I'm still not sure how that is relevant.
Hey were cool on this... Like you I felt the need to expand my knowledge base. Unlike you languages don't come easy to me. Rosetta stone and a native speaker helped me big time. I can't claim to be fluent but I do know the correct swear words. LOL I don't think that my son was even required to study a second language even for 1 year.....
Sorry if I jumped on you a bit heavy. Uncalled for.... Slap me back I earned it.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishRules View Post
Gizmo, I suggest you don't even bother to say what you just said. These guys will only call you a troll and childish because "you refuse to see the facts."

Just look at ArizonaBear's previous post, and see how the real trolls take the first opportunity to vent their ignorance.

Poor Germans...
Try again: you keep accusing me of being a racist------------yet; when I corner you for proof you simply crank up the attacks against me.

Speaking of which: I am still waiting for proof from you that I am a racist (tapping fingers impatiently).
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Reputation: 18557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishRules View Post
Gizmo, I suggest you don't even bother to say what you just said. These guys will only call you a troll and childish because "you refuse to see the facts."
Yeah, I know how this forum works, which is why I usually stay out... but I'm bored (killing time in my "office" while traffic clears), so it's a good time-waster.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:08 PM
 
582 posts, read 1,785,647 times
Reputation: 262
Who cares!!!! If you want to learn it ..Learn it!!!..If you don't then don't !!! It is what it is!!
We spend our precious time on stupid things like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top