U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
And many Latinos are doing that too!

But you just make sweeping generalizations based on your biases.
You and others on here. I met a Korean who spoke perfect English. They all do that!
I heard someone talking Spanish, so all of them must be refusing to learn Spanish!

Yes there are some "latinos" who do that and when they take the attitude they'll learn English, they do well.

A very large number don't have that attitude, they have the attitude that Mexico is taking over, Aztlan is coming and everyone had better learn Spanish. They will tell you straight out that Spanish is the future, there is no need for them or their children to learn English at all.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Those are cultural differences, for the most part... and sweeping generalizations, I might add. If you have a solution for changing thousands of years of culture, I'd love to hear your ideas.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Those are cultural differences, for the most part... and sweeping generalizations, I might add. If you have a solution for changing thousands of years of culture, I'd love to hear your ideas.
You're making a sweeping generalization when you write it all off as "cultural differences" that cannot be changed because they've held these cultural differences for thousands of years -- as though culture is imprinted on them like a genetic difference.

I'm saying it's a matter of attitude. A "latino" child is not born with a cultural difference, it's taught him. It's taught him by parents and others that he should never learn the language of the country he's living in and so he doesn't.

I know "latinos" raised in the Midwest that grew up only speaking English and all did not have ancestors that lived in the USA many generations. Culture is really just an attitude.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:41 AM

303 posts, read 868,129 times
Default my two pesos

I was born and raised in El Paso Texas and have lived in Nebraska since I

left the service. I am bi-racial with an "American" last name and brown

skinned. I did not learn Spanish until I was 7 or 8. When I first moved

here, there was not a need to really use the Spanish language much, so

over the years, I got rusty myself. It wasn't until the last 8 or 9 years

that the Hispanic population has soured in the city I live in and am able

to use it more now. I have assisted in translations at my place of

employment and can help my 5Th grade grandson with his Spanish lessons.

I am an American FIRST of all and believe that ENGLISH should be the

language spoken. Last year I went to buy a car battery at a well known

chain auto supply store. When I entered, the store manager happily

greeted me in Spanish (which is fine), but I returned the greeting in

English. His face changed somewhat, and he asked me in Spanish if he

could help me. I answered him in English telling him I needed a car battery

and told him the year and make of the vehicle. I am here to tell you that

his entire facial expression changed as well as his attitude toward me

because I would not respond in Spanish! For him to assume that I was

Mexican (maybe I was Italian or Iranian?) or maybe I just didn't speak the

language, which is possible too. I have a friend and coworker who is

Hispanic with a Mexican surname and does not speak a word of Spanish.

Needless to say, I went somewhere else and have not returned to that

particular store.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:26 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes there are some "latinos" who do that and when they take the attitude they'll learn English, they do well.

A very large number don't have that attitude, they have the attitude that Mexico is taking over, Aztlan is coming and everyone had better learn Spanish. They will tell you straight out that Spanish is the future, there is no need for them or their children to learn English at all.
Aztlan? Mexico Taking over??
The only people who believes that junk are bored extremist college students, and you "anti-illegal".
You guys talk about it a lot more than any Latino I know.

And what do you know about numbers? You definitely feel like most latinos choose not to learn English, and do it on purpose as disrespect towards you. Because that's your preconceived notion of Hispanics based on your opinions.

I've seen you on the Mexico forum, and on there, you sound more open minded, and tolerant toward Hispanic culture and language.

On here, you sound like just another Latino-basher.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:32 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor 13 View Post
I was born and raised in El Paso Texas and have lived in Nebraska since I

left the service. I am bi-racial with an "American" last name and brown

skinned. I did not learn Spanish until I was 7 or 8. When I first moved

here, there was not a need to really use the Spanish language much, so

over the years, I got rusty myself. It wasn't until the last 8 or 9 years

that the Hispanic population has soured in the city I live in and am able

to use it more now. I have assisted in translations at my place of

employment and can help my 5Th grade grandson with his Spanish lessons.

I am an American FIRST of all and believe that ENGLISH should be the

language spoken. Last year I went to buy a car battery at a well known

chain auto supply store. When I entered, the store manager happily

greeted me in Spanish (which is fine), but I returned the greeting in

English. His face changed somewhat, and he asked me in Spanish if he

could help me. I answered him in English telling him I needed a car battery

and told him the year and make of the vehicle. I am here to tell you that

his entire facial expression changed as well as his attitude toward me

because I would not respond in Spanish! For him to assume that I was

Mexican (maybe I was Italian or Iranian?) or maybe I just didn't speak the

language, which is possible too. I have a friend and coworker who is

Hispanic with a Mexican surname and does not speak a word of Spanish.

Needless to say, I went somewhere else and have not returned to that

particular store.

I am Mexican-American, and am more comfortable with English than Spanish.
That one situation you describe happening once to you has happened to me countless times.
That being a person speaking to me in Spanish, and me choosing to reply in English. I do it with a genuine smile though, and I don't have any perceived "attitude change".
The most I'll get is friendly teasing, but since they know I'm not responding to them in Spanish out of annoyance, they are usually friendly with me as well.
If they see I don't understand, they usually notice, and reply in English(if they can) or make an attempt at broken English, or just keep speaking spanish in a friendly manner if they know I can understand.

I don't know how often you find yourself in that situation in Nebraska, but in California(the heart of the Aztlan takeover), I find myself in it frequently. If we should make generalizations, who's experience should we go on?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:08 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,308,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
On here, you sound like just another Latino-basher.
And you sound just like another illegal loving person who has no regards for the country as a whole or for laws. Now what?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:49 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Somehow it's worked in Canada, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, and sooooo many other countries... I know the French Canadians have some issues with the English-speaking Canadians, but their problems are fairly superficial (from what I've heard). I went to Belgium a few years ago, and they have three OFFICIAL languages, along with a bunch of unofficial ones - one local told me there's a different language for every block in Antwerp. Fact is, we have a huge Spanish-speaking population in the US now, and we'll have to adapt. Either learn to cope, or learn to work together with our diverse population.
Belgium is showing signs of breaking apart on linguistic lines.

Canada is not truly bilingual--------there is extreme prejudice in Quebec against English which is sanctioned by law yet the rest of Canada is supposed to kiss Quebec's backside. If Canada were to break apart-----------most of it would join the USA whereupon Quebec would be surrounded.

Austria is German speaking

The only First World nation that has more than one dominant tongue is Switzerland.

As for the the USA: the pendulum is swinging against Spanish more and more----------especially with the growing effort to close/lock our southern border coupled with mass deportations.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

And the irony is that Aztlan is a joke at best and a fraud at worst.

The reality is Spanish is a 'White man's' language which the conquistadors forced upon the Aztecs, etc.

Besides: the Aztecs never lived as far north as our Southwest.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
That is sad, but it doesn't mean they aren't being taught... they just aren't being taught well, apparently. Maybe our educational system is to blame, huh?
That is a fallacy that our educational system is bad in the example you stated.

The problem lies at home.

Why I say that is the Asian kids who have come here en masse tend to do quite well oftentimes not knowing a word of English at age 12. By age 18 said students usually speak unaccented English.

If the Asians can do it: why not the Latinos from Mexico? Racism is not an excuse being that most people of Mexican background are indeed at least part Asian themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or