U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,694,271 times
Reputation: 343

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I am of Mexican descent, too . Open mouth, insert foot, get back to me later.

Opening your mouth before you know anything makes one look like an idiot.

Our President is correct we should all learn Spanish and immigrants can learn English we can meet half way.


YouTube - Barack Obama: Your Children Should Learn To Speak Spanish

Its embarrassing our lack of basic communication in Spanish.

 
Old 12-19-2008, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savimbi View Post
Our President is correct we should all learn Spanish and immigrants can learn English we can meet half way.


YouTube - Barack Obama: Your Children Should Learn To Speak Spanish

Its embarrassing our lack of basic communication in Spanish.
Why must it be spanish. China is by far a bigger trading partner than Mexico, spain, or any other hispanic country.
I agree with you tho americans should be more openminded about learning a second language. But lets face a few facts.
1. Most Americans never travel outside of the borders.
2. English is by far the common language of our land.
3. No company in the country should require 100% bilingual employee's.
In short americans just don't have the need to be bilingual.
Immigrants should learn english because they have chosen to live in an english speaking country.
 
Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savimbi View Post
Our President is correct we should all learn Spanish and immigrants can learn English we can meet half way.


YouTube - Barack Obama: Your Children Should Learn To Speak Spanish

Its embarrassing our lack of basic communication in Spanish.
It would make more sense for Mexicans in Mexico to learn English instead.

Spanish is quite provincial whereas English is used worldwide.
 
Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Orange County, California
1,017 posts, read 2,641,701 times
Reputation: 468
While I don't think people in the US should refuse to speak English (when in Rome...) I don't think it's great to only speak English either.

Bipartlingualism is bad for both parties involved. While I believe that the USA shouldn't require a person to speak Spanish, I think we should consider teaching foreign languages to our kids in elementary school. It creates understanding of other cultures and broadens your global perspective. As for those of you who want to cling to your monolingualism, don't look now your red neck is showing!!!



Why Learn Spanish?

bipart-lingualism: if more than one language can be heard in a small area, but the large majority of speakers are monolinguals, who have little contact with speakers from neighbouring ethnic groups, an area is called 'bipart-lingual'.
 
Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savimbi View Post
Our President is correct we should all learn Spanish and immigrants can learn English we can meet half way.


YouTube - Barack Obama: Your Children Should Learn To Speak Spanish

Its embarrassing our lack of basic communication in Spanish.
Why is it embarrassing? Should we all be required to learn Spanish simply because those who inhabit the countries to our south do so? Why not French, so that we may converse with our French Canadian neighbors to the north?

You are aware of the fact that English is the defacto lingua franca of commerce throughout the world, right? I spent six weeks in Europe this summer and found maybe one or two people who did not speak English. Immigrants to the U.S. would be better served to learn English than U.S. citizens would be to learn Spanish.
 
Old 12-19-2008, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
While I don't think people in the US should refuse to speak English (when in Rome...) I don't think it's great to only speak English either.

Bipartlingualism is bad for both parties involved. While I believe that the USA shouldn't require a person to speak Spanish, I think we should consider teaching foreign languages to our kids in elementary school. It creates understanding of other cultures and broadens your global perspective. As for those of you who want to cling to your monolingualism, don't look now your red neck is showing!!!



Why Learn Spanish?

bipart-lingualism: if more than one language can be heard in a small area, but the large majority of speakers are monolinguals, who have little contact with speakers from neighbouring ethnic groups, an area is called 'bipart-lingual'.
And your point being?

Spanish is not an important language outside of Spain or most of Latin America. English is.

Many bi-lingual people in the rest of the world speak English---------not Spanish.
 
Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And your point being?

Spanish is not an important language outside of Spain or most of Latin America. English is.

Many bi-lingual people in the rest of the world speak English---------not Spanish.
Very true.... When only 25% of americans have a passport it is obvious that they don't need to know another language. The operative word here is NEED. Many of these folks looking to impose a second language tend to over look the fact that americans as a whole stay in their own country. They look down on us because many only speak english. The irony is that these egg heads from the universities who look down on common americans couldn't survive outside of academia. Can they repair their home if it were damaged? Most blue collar english speaking folks can.
They are self sufficient and proudly independent. We should never under estimate the blue collar crowd. They are after all the back bone of this great nation. This blue collar guy can speak 2 languages and make his point clear in a few others. That was by choice. Not need.
 
Old 12-19-2008, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Orange County, California
1,017 posts, read 2,641,701 times
Reputation: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Very true.... When only 25% of americans have a passport it is obvious that they don't need to know another language. The operative word here is NEED. Many of these folks looking to impose a second language tend to over look the fact that americans as a whole stay in their own country. They look down on us because many only speak english. The irony is that these egg heads from the universities who look down on common americans couldn't survive outside of academia. Can they repair their home if it were damaged? Most blue collar english speaking folks can.
They are self sufficient and proudly independent. We should never under estimate the blue collar crowd. They are after all the back bone of this great nation. This blue collar guy can speak 2 languages and make his point clear in a few others. That was by choice. Not need.

So you're saying that the working class doesn't travel? I don't know what assumptions you operating under, but you sound a bit hostile to people with a college education. Jealous much?
 
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
 
78 posts, read 121,369 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have been out of the USA 6 times and; suffice to say: with the possible exception of Australia or New Zealand---------I have no desire to live anywhere else.

That stated: I would like to visit Berlin and Vancouver, BC one day

As for Mexico: till that nation is under US control; lock, stock and barrel--------I will never set foot there. The exploding drug violence there is reason alone to avoid that Third World place.
You may try Bagdad which is under U.S. control, LOL,
 
Old 12-19-2008, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
So you're saying that the working class doesn't travel? I don't know what assumptions you operating under, but you sound a bit hostile to people with a college education. Jealous much?
Of what?????LOL Of what?????? I travel more than most college grads. I also speak more languages than many college grads.
I stated a fact only about 25% of all Americans have a passport. Most blue collar types are content to stay inside our borders when they travel.
Isolated America? | The World By Road (http://www.theworldbyroad.com/wordpress/2006/04/03/isolated-america - broken link)
No I am not jealous. I just lack any fundamental respect for what our great universities have been turning out until they prove themselves. Working in a factory I get to break in a new college grad about every 6 months. It amazes me how little wisdom or common sense all that tuition money bought.
By the way I never said the blue collar class doesn't travel I said most do not travel outside of our borders. Big difference.
Another link although a bit outdated..
http://www.tinet.ita.doc.gov/view/f-...8.183005.24769
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top