U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 12:44 PM

39 posts, read 128,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
The western what? The only places where Spanish would be the most useful tongue are the Meso and South American countries along with Spain.

While in Europe, I found that the most frequently spoken language, other than English, was French. Most Brits, residents of Switzerland and Belgium, and many Italians speak French.
Anything west of Turkey.

I have used Spanish in the following regions: Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Andorra, Morrocco, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Curacao, and Mexico.

Average Brits do not speak French. In many parts of Belgium, and a third of Switzerland, French is the first language. Many of the Italians that know French also know Spanish just as well.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:53 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,570,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
It's not the jobs that "require spanish" it's the monolingual idiots from SOB and latin America who the corporate masters consider too ignorant and stupid to learn anything above a 3rd grade level. They realize that for the majority of the peasants here illegally, learning English is an impossibility. Additionally, it allows them to keep them co-dependent and in bondage.

ENGLISH is a universal language and the language primarily spoken and used to transact business globally. Many of my neighbors are from Pakistan, India and China the majority of whom are professors, and scientist and are fluent in English and their native tongues. Your sad attempt to blame Americans for wanting those who are here illegally or as guest to at least learn OUR PRIMARY LANGUAGE is pathetic at best, and delusional ignorance at its worst. Other than those who choose to live in Mexico or latin America, do you really think the rest of the world will go out of its way to acquire the choppy, shrill, 3rd world dialect known as spanish?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That is certainly the norm where I live. They have no intention of learning English -- ever. They say it's important for their kids to learn "their own language", they believe learning English interferes with that. They don't come to be Americans, they have no use for Americans, have no desire to converse with Americans. They believe Mexico is taking over the USA and believe it's much more important to maintain ties with their relatives and friends in Mexico. They fully believe that the USA will and must become a hispanic nation and do not like it's "anglo" history at all.
Unfortunately this is true.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekker View Post
I don't have a link, only real world experience. Is it so hard for you to believe that there are successful Mexican nationals in The Netherlands? I have two very good friends from Mexico, living in Holland, that speak 4-5 languages each.
Then people from Mexico have the capabilities of learning English and successfully assimilating into American society.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:00 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
The Western Hemisphere.

I have used Spanish in the following regions: Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Andorra, Morrocco, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Curacao, and Mexico.

Average Brits do not speak French. In many parts of Belgium, and a third of Switzerland, French is the first language. Many of the Italians that know French also know Spanish just as well.
I don't know how many "average Brits" you know, but I know quite few--both in my personal life as well as numerous international students at college. French is offered in Brit schools from grade school on. Every one of the thirty some odd Brits I know personally, as well as many I met during my stay in England and Scotland, speak French.

Many of the countries you mentioned are A) south of the U.S. border as I noted previously, or B) Spain, a Spanish speaking country, Andorra, which of course, being located in the eastern Pyrenees, bordered by Spain and France and would naturally have Spanish speakers, but I would bet the farm that there are French speakers there as well. Curacao, being an island off of Venezula, would certainly have Spanish speakers not only due to its proximity to South America, but because its first inhabitants, the Arawak were victims of Spanish colonization, and subsequently the Dutch. It would be odder if there were no Spanish speakers in either Andorra or Curacao.

Last edited by Kele; 12-20-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 01:06 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
I don't have a link, only real world experience. Is it so hard for you to believe that there are successful Mexican nationals in The Netherlands? I have two very good friends from Mexico, living in Holland, that speak 4-5 languages each.
You have nothing in writing yet I am supposed to believe you because ___________________

Old 12-20-2008, 01:16 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Quote:
It's not the jobs that "require spanish" it's the monolingual idiots from SOB and latin America who the corporate masters consider too ignorant and stupid to learn anything above a 3rd grade level. They realize that for the majority of the peasants here illegally, learning English is an impossibility. Additionally, it allows them to keep them co-dependent and in bondage.

ENGLISH is a universal language and the language primarily spoken and used to transact business globally. Many of my neighbors are from Pakistan, India and China the majority of whom are professors, and scientist and are fluent in English and their native tongues. Your sad attempt to blame Americans for wanting those who are here illegally or as guest to at least learn OUR PRIMARY LANGUAGE is pathetic at best, and delusional ignorance at its worst. Other than those who choose to live in Mexico or latin America, do you really think the rest of the world will go out of its way to acquire the choppy, shrill, 3rd world dialect known as spanish?
You are a very intolerant person. Your bigotry is showing once again. I'd like to see you or your cronies try to spin that ignorance you're spewing right here.

And who goes out of their way to learn that "choppy shrill dialect"? Every corporation and large business and most government offices have "gone out of their way" to market in that language you are so prejudiced against. In advertising, customer service, hiring skilled bilingual employees.

A lot of people seem to think it's an important market that they want to reach.
You don't, but that's for obvious reasons isn't it?

Central America and South America are a huge chunk of land, and whether you like or not, they are our neighbors. Largely Spanish speaking.

In North America, there is of course Mexico, and large numbers of Spanish speakers in the United States and Canada.

And then of course Spain.

Spanish is up there on the list of most spoken languages. But you guys can argue all you want about it not being the most spoken in the world, but it is one of the most spoken in our part of the world for sure.

In Europe, many people speaking more than one languages.
I don't expect people to need to learn Spanish, or have to.
But it's definitely a good skill to have, and it's in many peoples' interest, since many people have profited from it.
But not everyone can go out and learn another language. Who has time to?
But to be so rabid in denying Spanish, and having a grudge against it, and to be so prejudiced against it is ridiculous.
Who are the real"monolingual idiots"?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:21 PM

39 posts, read 128,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I don't know how many "average Brits" you know, but I know quite few--both in my personal life as well as numerous international students at college. French is offered in Brit schools from grade school on. Every one of the thirty some odd Brits I know personally, as well as many I met during my stay in England and Scotland, speak French.

Many of the countries you mentioned are A) south of the U.S. border as I noted previously, or B) Spain, a Spanish speaking country, Andorra, which of course, being located in the eastern Pyrenees, bordered by Spain and France and would naturally have Spanish speakers, but I would bet the farm that there are French speakers there as well. Curacao, being an island of of Venezula, would certainly have Spanish speakers because its first inhabitants, the Arawak were victims of Spanish colonization, and subsequently the Dutch. It would be odder if there were no Spanish speakers in either Andorra or Curacao.
Well, for starters, I am Scottish. I was born in Glasgow, raised in Phoenix, and have recently lived in both London and Glasgow for more than 2 years each. Since you asked, I know many more 'Brits' than the "30 some odd" that you know. Most do not speak French, some do. It is not common for average citizens in Britain to be fluent in French. Yes, French is widely learned in schools, but so is Spanish in Arizona. Not everyone retains those skills into their adulthood.

I can cite many other places where Spanish is useful, but what's the point?

The fact is that European citizens will tell you that Spanish is incredibly useful. So is French. But don't think that Spanish is only spoken in Spanish regions or protectorates.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:22 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Quote:
You have nothing in writing yet I am supposed to believe you because ___________________
You can't even entertain the idea of a successful, educated Mexican? Wow, you got it bad.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:55 PM

78 posts, read 121,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That is certainly the norm where I live. They have no intention of learning English -- ever. They say it's important for their kids to learn "their own language", they believe learning English interferes with that. They don't come to be Americans, they have no use for Americans, have no desire to converse with Americans. They believe Mexico is taking over the USA and believe it's much more important to maintain ties with their relatives and friends in Mexico. They fully believe that the USA will and must become a hispanic nation and do not like it's "anglo" history at all.
Like I said, every single descendant of hispanics in the U.S. have english as their main language, and the vast majority of them keep Spanish as a second language.
This is a relatively young country, Spanish was the first European language here, our oldest city St. Augustine FL, was founded by Juan Ponce de Leon more than 100 years before the pilgrims came here, throughout our history, Spanish has been an important language in the United States, its importance has escalated in the past 50 years or so and continues growing exponentially, the ones that dislike this fact are doomed to continue living with anger the rest of their lives, it would be so much easier to just assimilate and become bilingual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or