U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 05:35 PM

39 posts, read 128,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Of course they do. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a link to verify his opinion, so we just have to take his word for that lie.
This statement is an oxymoron, with a capital M.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:44 PM

39 posts, read 128,974 times
Another opinion that I do not have a link for: People that are so against foreign languages in the US need to speak better English. Do not expect all immigrants to immediately assimilate with fluent English when many native speakers do not know how to use the language.

You want to be a real American? Perfect your English.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:49 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuquiyu View Post
Lady, lady... what can I say?,..... the biggest criminals of all are home brewed, right out of the radical extremist population, like the one you represent, what about timothy mcveigh, jim jones, all serial killers, the pedophyles, to mention a few,
Are you personally attacking me or is this your stupidity at work? Save it for someone who cares what you think about them. Personally, I give less than a FF.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekker View Post
This statement is an oxymoron, with a capital M.
Whatever you say TROLL. Save it for someone who cares what you think about them. Personally, I give less than a FF.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:08 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,289,024 times
Default Fast Food isn't good for you anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
The thing that bothers me about this question is...you have how many companies out there demanding employees that are bilingual...then you also have companies out there who hire people who can't speak English...

I went to Burger King the other day, the girl who took my order couldn't speak English well enough to take my order correctly?

How is that right?
Wow that just happened to me yesterday. That is when I decided to look elsewhere when waited on by someone who does'nt seem to want to assimilate. I didn't get what I ordered, there was no 2 way commmunication, therefore no more fast food for me. Could this make me healthier in the long run????

Old 12-20-2008, 06:18 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,659,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Wow that just happened to me yesterday. That is when I decided to look elsewhere when waited on by someone who does'nt seem to want to assimilate. I didn't get what I ordered, there was no 2 way commmunication, therefore no more fast food for me. Could this make me healthier in the long run????
A non english speaking fast food counter worker would be out of gas where I live.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Burger King and McDonalds lost my business years ago for the same reason. I went into a Burger King and there was a girl behind the register who stood and stared at me blankly for about 3 minutes. Finally I decided to place my order. She called the manager over (the only English speaker behind the counter). The manager assisted her in punching the buttons that would register my order and walked away. My order came to $5 and some change.I handed the glazed donut behind the counter $10 and she put it in the register and slammed it shut and stared at me like she wasn't the one who was stupid. I attempted to explain to her that she owed me change. She called the manager over and I had to explain what had transpired. The manager opened the register and attempted to explain to the glazed donut what change was and why I got some back.

Needless to say, when I got home I reported this restaurant to ICE. Since I'm not a fan of food poisoning and people who use the bathroom but never seem to think they should wash their hands afterward, I haven't been in a fast food joint or anywhere else where there are nothing but non-English speaking foreigners behind the counter or if I can't see whose doing the cooking.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:47 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,659,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Burger King and McDonalds lost my business years ago for the same reason. I went into a Burger King and there was a girl behind the register who stood and stared at me blankly for about 3 minutes. Finally I decided to place my order. She called the manager over (the only English speaker behind the counter). The manager assisted her in punching the buttons that would register my order and walked away. My order came to $5 and some change.I handed the glazed donut behind the counter $10 and she put it in the register and slammed it shut and stared at me like she wasn't the one who was stupid. I attempted to explain to her that she owed me change. She called the manager over and I had to explain what had transpired. The manager opened the register and attempted to explain to the glazed donut what change was and why I got some back.

Needless to say, when I got home I reported this restaurant to ICE. Since I'm not a fan of food poisoning and people who use the bathroom but never seem to think they should wash their hands afterward, I haven't been in a fast food joint or anywhere else where there are nothing but non-English speaking foreigners behind the counter or if I can't see whose doing the cooking.
JDUBS, sounds like we are assimilating to the newcomers instead of the other way around. Not right.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
JDUBS, sounds like we are assimilating to the newcomers instead of the other way around. Not right.
Indeed. Yet they somehow think we are responsible for perpetually exhibiting warm and fuzzy feelings and our tax dollars.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:57 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekker View Post
Another opinion that I do not have a link for: People that are so against foreign languages in the US need to speak better English. Do not expect all immigrants to immediately assimilate with fluent English when many native speakers do not know how to use the language.

You want to be a real American? Perfect your English.
Well I am in no position to lecture anyone on grammar skills. I do know that my skills or lack there of have not prevented me from enjoying a solid middle class income. I do wish I had paid more attention way back in the 70's and 80's though. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or