U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 06:58 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,564,606 times

Advertisements

I cannot stand feeling like an outsider in my own country because I cannot speak Spanish. Most of the Spanish speakers I've encountered are nice people but have experienced those who are rude and give you funny looks if you do not understand Spanish. A friend of mine who is Mexican (but looks caucasian) mentioned a few experiences she's had where people were talking about her being white trash in Spanish and assuming that she could not understand them (she is fluent in both English/Spanish). This is what really irks me is the lack of assimilation and appreciation of our country and people. Why do we need to accommodate illegals when many of them refuse to assimilate and show contempt for our country? I just don't understand this.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:58 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekker View Post
Another opinion that I do not have a link for: People that are so against foreign languages in the US need to speak better English. Do not expect all immigrants to immediately assimilate with fluent English when many native speakers do not know how to use the language.

You want to be a real American? Perfect your English.
But COME ON, how many generations do they need to convert? 3...4? That's a joke!!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:02 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I cannot stand feeling like an outsider in my own country because I cannot speak Spanish. Most of the Spanish speakers I've encountered are nice people but have experienced those who are rude and give you funny looks if you do not understand Spanish. A friend of mine who is Mexican (but looks caucasian) mentioned a few experiences she's had where people were talking about her being white trash in Spanish and assuming that she could not understand them (she is fluent in both English/Spanish). This is what really irks me is the lack of assimilation and appreciation of our country and people. Why do we need to accommodate illegals when many of them refuse to assimilate and show contempt for our country? I just don't understand this.
Your White Mexican friend's experience is proof positive that most White Mexicans are not here illegally----------they either stay home counting their $$$ or visit here legally.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:04 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
LOL thus one of the reasons I learned to speak Thai. I wanted to know when I was being insulted, set up, or just plain old dogged. Its only common sense to learn a countries language if you expect to spend any time there.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:52 PM

3,194 posts, read 2,864,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekker View Post
Another opinion that I do not have a link for: People that are so against foreign languages in the US need to speak better English. Do not expect all immigrants to immediately assimilate with fluent English when many native speakers do not know how to use the language.

You want to be a real American? Perfect your English.
You know, I have never asked that the immigrant population be immediately fluent in English. But I definitely would appreciate being able to speak to an immigrant in more than 3 word sentences. And though you are right about many Americans not speaking proper English, that is all a part of what America is. We have our own culture and we have our own slang and it is up to those who decide to come here to learn how to interpret all facets of our language. That includes learning to talk to people under everyday circumstances.

For the most part we do not encounter English scholars on a daily basis. And if you were to bring an Englishmen from the 1600's here now and try to talk to him, most people would be lost. No one speaks real proper English anymore. So please, stop trying to find angles with which to criticize the people who were born and raised in this country. No matter how bad their English may be, I bet I can still understand those people better than your average immigrant fresh across the border!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 PM

64 posts, read 72,043 times
Most hispanics can speak english, when they need to anyway.I had the same mexican neighbors for four years and spoke with them frequently in english..but lo and behold. One night they got into a huge brawl and when the police officers arrived not one of them understood english.

In the part of florida that I live in we mainly deal with spanish and creole....lots of creole.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:37 PM

32 posts, read 103,338 times
If you went to Mexico, and I mean deep Mexico, to live, would they speak English to you? No. You would need to learn Spanish. My husband's grandfather came from Norway and no one spoke Norwegian to him. He learned English. He didn't need special classes or special assistance. He did it all on his own because he had the desire to learn. The immigrants who come from Mexico legally and are willing to learn the language are more than welcome to stay here. Those who are illegal, should be required to learn English before becoming citizens. Those who refuse, should not become citizens.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:33 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,379,389 times
isn't America a free country? Does the Government force you to learn Spanish?

Old 12-21-2008, 02:59 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Nothing is free. Everything has a price tag. That which is "free" to illegal aliens is paid for by the tax dollars of hard working Americans. While being forced to endure listening to spanish and having to press 2 English cannot be calculated, it's only because you can never put a price tag on sanity, it's priceless.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 12-21-2008 at 03:31 PM..

Old 12-21-2008, 04:22 PM

3,194 posts, read 2,864,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
By not doing anything about the illegal problems facing our country and simultaneously adapting everything here to make life on illegals easier, we are in a way being forced to learn Spanish. Is it a requirement, No. Is the Spanish culture being shoved down our throats. Yes. Eventually it will be to the point where you can't work a simple job without being fluent in Spanish. And all because our government refuses to enforce the very laws our country is based on. If our government would enforce the law, this massive push to adapt and learn Spanish would stop. Why do you think they have started teaching our kids Spanish as soon as they start school? Because there are no plans to stop this invasion. So in essence, yes we are being forced to learn Spanish. And it should be the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or