U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 04:38 PM

54,144 posts, read 38,225,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And Brits too !

Really? I've marveled at times at how some guides in Europe can switch between 4-5 languages with ease although I don't believe the ones I've heard were Brits. I wish I had better facility with language than I do but I've learned at least enough to eat, buy a train ticket, and the all important find the facilities in several different languages.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:48 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,915,883 times
I've learned Spanish. It has helped me advance significantly in my career. I am making sure my kids learn too.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:08 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,152,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
It's a political issue! You are in the right place. There are those on the left that would turn America over to another country if they could.
Well, I am on the left and don't think people need to speak Spanish or learn to speak Spanish (or Mexican, there is a difference), even though I do speak Spanish. I learned my espanol in Spain and from a South American. I worked for a Mexican grower so I understand the differences.

Nor do I have any intention of turning my Country over to another country. I get really miffed when Mexicans don't even take the time or energy to learn English. After all, I put in effort to learn their language. English should be the official language of our culture, as we are based on the English language (or American language, to be precise).

And, we are dealing with Mexicans who come to our country and think they can continue to speak Spanish (Mexican) and get by.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:15 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,152,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan k View Post
Sure am glad i am not the only one out there feeling this way.I was beginning to think i was a Dinosaur that has just not figured it out.Yeah dont you just love going to "jack in the box" and the person taking your order asks you if you would like to try a"yumbo ***" and understanding the total , forget it.I figure by next year we will probably be paying in pecos.Speaking of which, i dont know where in phoenix but a freind of mine said the other day he went to mcdonalds and they are already accepting pecos.

God please help me!!
LOL, I believe you mean PESOS, but it's all good. I get tired of it too, even though I speak the language. It's good for ordering Tacos and Burritos, but it shouldn't be the standard, even though I've been speaking it for more than 20 years.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,915,883 times
People can whine about how life changes, or they can adapt to make it work for them.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:55 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,597,576 times
Just go up North so you don't have to deal with it. Upstate NY is one place. Central CT is another. When I tested a CT credit union's 1-800 # for telephone banking, there was no option for Spanish which is really odd to a TEXAN's ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, I am on the left and don't think people need to speak Spanish or learn to speak Spanish (or Mexican, there is a difference), even though I do speak Spanish. I learned my espanol in Spain and from a South American. I worked for a Mexican grower so I understand the differences.

Nor do I have any intention of turning my Country over to another country. I get really miffed when Mexicans don't even take the time or energy to learn English. After all, I put in effort to learn their language. English should be the official language of our culture, as we are based on the English language (or American language, to be precise).

And, we are dealing with Mexicans who come to our country and think they can continue to speak Spanish (Mexican) and get by.
Tell that to the Dutch in NYC and the rest of NYS. Why didn't the English learn Dutch instead? They have no right to force their language or culture on us because this city and province is made up of Dutch speakers.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:07 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,781,482 times
I learned (and am learning) Mexican Spanish because my family works in squash, tobacco and dairy. I'm continuing in university with Hispanic Studies because I love the South American cultures. (And the European ones, but...)

Here in east TN we have the drive-around problem, but not with Mexicans or Spaniards. At the Taco Bell I frequent there is a South African guy who I can NOT understand over the speaker, to save my life! And when I was in Gatlinburg last night at Bubba Gump's, our (amazingly nice and attentive [and adorable!]) waiter spoke in such heavily accented Russian that all I could do was smile and nod.

Our world is increasingly multicultural. Don't let your prejudice towards Mexicans become confused with a condemnation of multilinguality or accent.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:02 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
People can whine about how life changes, or they can adapt to make it work for them.
Amen. I've spoken Spanish since childhood, and it's been nothing but beneficial to me... if it ticks anyone off that I get hired over them, that's not my problem! Learn some Spanish, enrich your life & world-view, and then you can join me in the "highly employable" category.

P.S. Despite what many of you like to think, most immigrants DO make an effort to learn the language - but English is a tough one, so you can't expect them to speak it in 3 weeks! As a librarian, I help people with language-learning resources nearly every day, so you can't tell me that none of them care.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:15 AM

6,486 posts, read 13,781,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. Despite what many of you like to think, most immigrants DO make an effort to learn the language - but English is a tough one, so you can't expect them to speak it in 3 weeks! As a librarian, I help people with language-learning resources nearly every day, so you can't tell me that none of them care.
Definitely. Here in East TN there is at least one program through which many immigrants, legal and illegal, can congregate and get help learning English. All of my Mexican friends have learned English quite well and their children, raised in Mexico until they were 5 or 6, are making great leaps.

Of course, there are some immigrants of all nationalities who refuse to learn English. This can be said of any point, because, as far as humanity is concerned, there is a spectrum - for ANY issue, point of view, etc.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:57 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really? I've marveled at times at how some guides in Europe can switch between 4-5 languages with ease although I don't believe the ones I've heard were Brits. I wish I had better facility with language than I do but I've learned at least enough to eat, buy a train ticket, and the all important find the facilities in several different languages.
The Brits are terrible at languages, I think they started the "trend" of "everyone should speak our language so we don't have to learn another". Its hilarious when you travel to see British and American tourists struggling and speaking LOUDER and gesticulating, as if that makes a difference.... The amazing thing is that they genuinely expect people to speak English and are miffed when they don't !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or