Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2008, 05:45 PM

858 posts, read 3,037,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Seems like some are just tired of everybody who is not just like them.
Nope im just tired of dam illegals.

Quote:
Should we just nuke the world? Sheesh.
Nope just mexico.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:56 PM

25,318 posts, read 18,470,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Nope im just tired of dam illegals.
Now that I can agree with.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:59 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,605,902 times
Quote:
An earlier post states, “…we are sick of immigrants...” I do not feel that way (unless we are talking about ILLEGAL immigration), but that’s beside the point. This rather depressing comment begs a few questions/comments:

* Is that the attitude this country was built on?

* How many generations back were your forefathers immigrants in this land? I wonder who was sick of them? Or were they a fixture in North America when the Neanderthals died out and the Cro-Magnons took the helm, who later became the indigenous inhabitants—thus never being immigrants to North America.

* Speaking of which, if any social/ethnic group in this country has a right to be sick of immigrants, I wonder which group that might be?

And come to think of it… doesn’t an immigrant, LEGAL immigrant, have as much right to be in this country as any of you who were born here? I think that’s the way it works. Seems they have just as much reason (however contorted and illogical that reason might be) to be as sick of you as you are of them. They are as much citizens of this nation as you are. And, YES, a legal immigrant has to show proficiency in English… so you can’t be bigoted against legal immigrants for that reason. You’ll have to do better than that. So… what is you new reasoning? Maybe that they are different than you?

It’s very interesting how some bad attitudes never seem to die out. Old habits die hard. Past eras saw “established” residents being tired of newcomers too: Scottish mercenaries, Irish and Chinese rail workers, French and German factory workers, Finnish miners, Italians, so on and so forth. Seems like some are just tired of everybody who is not just like them. Should we just nuke the world? Sheesh.
I can't answer for whoever it was that said that they were sick of immigrants.
Answering for myself I will tell you that I welcome immigrants -- technically my son is one! But legal immigrants. Legal immigration has a wonderful history in our country, and one that should be allowed to continue and flourish. Unfortunately, illegal immigration is taking a toll on legal immigration. One might even say it is crowding legal immigration out. In short, illegal immigration has no place here.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:09 AM

197 posts, read 265,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan k View Post
Please tell me what is wrong with this picture?
I have worked for companies such as Tecumseh motors, Sargento cheese, Johnsonville sausage , wausau homes and currently work for the biggest motorcycle conglomerate in the usa Ridenow powersports, but have applied for other jobs here in Phoenix in management but have been told that i need to speak spanish.
Did someone forget to inform me that we were annexed into mexico or is this what the future of our country is destined for.So in other words , i need to go back to school to learn somebody elses language even though they are even legal citizens,bull!
Alot of people dont like Sheriff Joe but as far as i am concerned, "Sheriff Joe for President", just do me a favor.When you arrest them dont give medical aid and food and a place to sleep for a few weeks while the citizens pay taxes to supply these things , just ship their butts back as soon as you find them.
I cant get free food , water, medical and a place to sleep.Someone in government needs to stand up and show some balls,they dont belong here.If they want to be citizens, they can do like so many others" apply for the right to be here".
I still say that if they want to be citizens, then they can apply and any male over 18 then serves 2 years in the military to prove they love this country, once their tour is up then they and their immediate family can be legal citizens.But come on , lets make them earn the right to be here, our boys are over there dying while they sneek across our border and live a better life than i do , now you are saying i need to learn spanish.
I dont think so, wake up people of the usa.
If for nothing else, it has been proven that to learn a second language facilitates neural responses, improving memory, intelligence, and mental
capacity. In the case of us americans it only makes sense that Spanish
should be the way to go, due to the prevalence of spanish in our culture.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:38 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,594,326 times
I respectfully disagree with the above. The second language should be the choice of the individual student, whether for business asset, communication with relatives or personal hobby.

People with families from assorted parts of the world, in parts of the U.S. with myriad ancestral backgrounds would definitely dispute your spanish language bubble. I can't think of a more devisive wedge than to force Americans to learn the language of just one ancestral background of the many, many here, and to force those immigrating legally to the U.S. to acquire same alongside the lingua franca of the U.S., English. Education should not be dictated by prevalence of masses of illegals, whose presence I hope you think is insulting the law-abiding community of American citizens of hispanic descent, part of our valued, unique melting pot culture.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I can't answer for whoever it was that said that they were sick of immigrants.
Answering for myself I will tell you that I welcome immigrants -- technically my son is one! But legal immigrants. Legal immigration has a wonderful history in our country, and one that should be allowed to continue and flourish. Unfortunately, illegal immigration is taking a toll on legal immigration. One might even say it is crowding legal immigration out. In short, illegal immigration has no place here.
A well-thought-out, reasonable, logical attitude. Thank you. We need more level-headed people like you out there, rather than the pitchfork-n-torch, radical mentality that exists on both sides of this issue.

We DO have a tool to do this the right way. It's called intelligence. That's what will save the day—if there is any saving the day before irrational “Neaderthalism” runs its course. Intelligence is responsible for nearly everything we have achieved through history that is worth a damn. Brute, emotional “Neaderthalism” is responsible for nearly everything that we would rather forget.

This country, last I checked, is comprised of “We the People.” We the People can bellyache and whine. We the People can become radical, violent, and stupid. Or, We the People can act like we have a measure of intellect and exercise what We the People were granted the right to do by our country’s founding forefathers. We the People can replace our worthless, self-serving, special-interest-pandering, slothful politicians with real, caring, honorable, responsible leaders (if any exist; but that’s another issue). Leaders who hold this country’s wellbeing as priority. Leaders who will close the borders to illegal immigration.

Is that such a bad idea? Aren’t our families, our communities, our country, and our planet worth the effort to solve this problem the RIGHT way? Stop illegal immigration. Just do it as intelligent gentlemen, rather than as damned apes.

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-25-2008 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-25-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I respectfully disagree with the above. The second language should be the choice of the individual student, whether for business asset, communication with relatives or personal hobby.

People with families from assorted parts of the world, in parts of the U.S. with myriad ancestral backgrounds would definitely dispute your spanish language bubble. I can't think of a more devisive wedge than to force Americans to learn the language of just one ancestral background of the many, many here, and to force those immigrating legally to the U.S. to acquire same alongside the lingua franca of the U.S., English. Education should not be dictated by prevalence of masses of illegals, whose presence I hope you think is insulting the law-abiding community of American citizens of hispanic descent, part of our valued, unique melting pot culture.
This is the best post I've read on this thread. Thank you.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:14 AM

50,081 posts, read 46,663,334 times
Ok, you guys are scarin me with the logical posts here

Old 12-25-2008, 12:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,022,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
If for nothing else, it has been proven that to learn a second language facilitates neural responses, improving memory, intelligence, and mental
capacity. In the case of us americans it only makes sense that Spanish
should be the way to go, due to the prevalence of spanish in our culture.
Such being the case: all of Latin America should mandate the teaching of English as well.....................which will not happen-------never mind that English is more useful than Spanish.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:01 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,740,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Such being the case: all of Latin America should mandate the teaching of English as well.....................which will not happen-------never mind that English is more useful than Spanish.
There are many Latin American Countries that English is taught in schools...and in the Caribbean is also taught, even in Cuba as we speak, they learn English in schools.

Explain why do you think English is more useful than Spanish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration