U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,910,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
There are many Latin American Countries that English is taught in schools...and in the Caribbean is also taught, even in Cuba as we speak, they learn English in schools.

Explain why do you think English is more useful than Spanish?
In addition to the list of places that you have named with English being taught in their schools, English is the primary and most common language used in the transaction of business globally. Spanish is not. Unless latin America or Mexico somehow becomes a dominating force globally as opposed to being co-dependent upon primarily English speaking countries to prop them up financially and economically through trade, spanish will remain an optional language for the majority of countries and populations worldwide.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 12-26-2008 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 12:18 PM

6,572 posts, read 18,009,318 times
I'm curious... why is Cuba teaching English if they are so against the US?

Why does Cuba have such a hard time (economically) and claiming our boycott is the problem?

Why does Cuba not buy their needed supplies...autos for example from Brazil?

Surely South America can supply many needed items without blaming the US for the shortages.

Have never been that far down south so cannot see the entire picture.

Still does not make sense to me. 49 yrs of embargo and they have not improved their situation.

Does everything depend on the US to function.

Steve

Old 12-26-2008, 12:35 PM

858 posts, read 2,694,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

Steve
Im not sure if everything depends on the USA, but I know for a fact that the illegals do!!

Old 12-26-2008, 02:09 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I'm curious... why is Cuba teaching English if they are so against the US?

Why does Cuba have such a hard time (economically) and claiming our boycott is the problem?

Why does Cuba not buy their needed supplies...autos for example from Brazil?

Surely South America can supply many needed items without blaming the US for the shortages.

Have never been that far down south so cannot see the entire picture.

Still does not make sense to me. 49 yrs of embargo and they have not improved their situation.

Steve
Well like many dictatorships, the ruling elite go without nothing... What do they care about the average citizen? An unarmed society is much easier to managae than an armed free society.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:10 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,580,874 times
pink slip avoidance?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
There are many Latin American Countries that English is taught in schools...and in the Caribbean is also taught, even in Cuba as we speak, they learn English in schools.

Explain why do you think English is more useful than Spanish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
In addition to the list of places that you have named with English being taught in their schools, English is the primary and most common language used in the transaction of business globally. Spanish is not. Unless latin America or Mexico somehow becomes a dominating force globally as opposed to being co-dependent upon primarily English speaking countries to prop them up financially and economically through trade, spanish will remain an optional language for the majority of countries and populations worldwide.
As JDubsMom stated: English is the lingua franca of the world; Spanish along with French is quite provincial-----------outside of any of the countries where either one of the latter tongues is dominant.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:50 PM

10,451 posts, read 10,042,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
spanish will remain an optional language for the majority of countries and populations worldwide.
I think many of us in just assume the whole world speaks English. Sorry, it does not work that way. Yes, English is the worldwide lingua franca for business and science. But for the 'average Joes' living in a given country (non-English speaking) away from the world banks, science labs, universities, and tourist traps, their language is NOT optional. And English is not an option at all.

I have stayed in Peru (Surquillo district of Lima) for a time. I can assure you that Spanish is not optional there. And English is NOT an option at all.

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-26-2008 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 04:11 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think many of us in just assume the whole world speaks English. Sorry, it does not work that way. Yes, English is the worldwide lingua franca for business and science. But for the 'average Joes' living in a given country (non-English speaking) away from the world banks, science labs, universities, and tourist traps, their language is NOT optional. And English is not an option at all.

I have stayed in Peru (Surquillo district of Lima) for a time. I can assure you that Spanish is not optional there. And English is NOT an option at all.
I'll try to remember that if I ever think about going to Peru. Pretty sure that will never happen.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:34 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,314,855 times
Quote:

So what? And....

Old 12-26-2008, 04:38 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Quote:

The reality is that one is much more likely to run into an English speaker vs. someone using Spanish in a country selected at random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or