U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 11:50 AM

10,451 posts, read 10,042,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
Did you know, that around the United States they are now are trying to get the children to learn Mandarin? That is the up-coming language!
And there is a good example of learning a language because one 'wants to.' I had intended to start working on Mandarin a while back. I started... and couldn't continue. I just couldn't get into it. Didn't like it. My choice.

But, I'm not going to start slamming the people and the language because I don't want to learn the language. I'm not going to go on a crusade against everything Chinese. Nothing wrong with the language or the people. It just doesn't appeal to me. Isn't that a better attitude when you don't want to learn a language or are not enamored with a culture?

Oh, and just to reiterate: I absolutely concur that if you live here in the US, you need to speak English.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:41 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPlanner View Post
Well, its does not make sense that the bigger indian gets to conquer and rule over others and then decide later that they made a huge mistake (talk about genocide) and tell themselves its okay. People til this day who are in control fear those who could overpower and become control. Hence why majority of the general public fear the neighbors to the south of us. To get in this country is hard as hell if you are a minority. I think the whole immigration process is rigged. Unless someone can provide me with facts.

Let us all look at the big picture. The past can't be swept underneath a rug. Wait! That's what we as Americans do . (Just trying to open people's mind to let them look at the perspectives from those who are rarely out-spoken about.)

God Bless Obama!
Welcome to history.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Take all the horrible things that have occurred throughout history. Okay, now, how many of those horrible things are you personally responsible for? In case you are having trouble, the answer is ZERO (nada ).

I have nothing (nor do you) to sweep under the rug, unless it’s something that I (or you) have personally done in my (your) own life that I’m (you’re) not proud of. I have never understood the mentality of 'apologizing' for something that occurred before I was born. That is an absolutely ridiculous notion! It’s BS.

Twelve hundred years ago my ancestors (Vikings) where pillaging, plundering, raping and terrorizing much of Europe. Am I going to apologize for that? Hell no. Not unless I was there! And unless I’ve been alive for over a millennium, I couldn’t have been. By not apologizing for that, am I ‘sweeping it under the rug’? No. Do I feel good about what they did? No. But I am not them.

Are there historic events to feel bad (or shameful) or about? Yes. To think about? Yes. To learn from? Yes. To do our best to not repeat? Yes. To apologize for? HELL NO.

As ArizonaBear mentioned earlier, the past is the past. It’s gone. And I wasn’t there. Neither were you. Why in God’s name should you feel responsible for any of it? Sheesh! I hope that took a load off your mind. If it did and you feel appreciative, I do have a PayPal account. I’m not a therapist, but I’m glad I could help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
100% in agreement with you!!

I also have a paypal account LOL..and I am not a therapist!!
As both of you stated.

Atrocities have been committed by all races/ethnicities against each other.

This I will say: when the birthrate hovers around 2.1 children per woman (replacement level)............nasty stuff tends to diminish quite quickly.

Check back throughout history: whenever there is a significant excess of young people (especially males) under age 30-----------that is when wars, upheavals and so on tend to occur.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:15 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,469,355 times
Quote:
And there is a good example of learning a language because one 'wants to.' I had intended to start working on Mandarin a while back. I started... and couldn't continue. I just couldn't get into it. Didn't like it. My choice.

But, I'm not going to start slamming the people and the language because I don't want to learn the language. I'm not going to go on a crusade against everything Chinese. Nothing wrong with the language or the people. It just doesn't appeal to me. Isn't that a better attitude when you don't want to learn a language or are not enamored with a culture?

Oh, and just to reiterate: I absolutely concur that if you live here in the US, you need to speak English.
LOL....You know I learned Japanese because I lived in Tokyo a few years back...but I do not think I would venture into trying to learn Mandarin, I am all confused as it is, knowing three languages

Naturally, That is a better attitude when you do not want to learn a particular language...

Old 12-28-2008, 12:33 AM

78 posts, read 180,403 times
Quote:
Take all the horrible things that have occurred throughout history. Okay, now, how many of those horrible things are you personally responsible for? In case you are having trouble, the answer is ZERO (nada ).

I have nothing (nor do you) to sweep under the rug, unless it’s something that I (or you) have personally done in my (your) own life that I’m (you’re) not proud of. I have never understood the mentality of 'apologizing' for something that occurred before I was born. That is an absolutely ridiculous notion! It’s BS.

Twelve hundred years ago my ancestors (Vikings) where pillaging, plundering, raping and terrorizing much of Europe. Am I going to apologize for that? Hell no. Not unless I was there! And unless I’ve been alive for over a millennium, I couldn’t have been. By not apologizing for that, am I ‘sweeping it under the rug’? No. Do I feel good about what they did? No. But I am not them.

Are there historic events to feel bad (or shameful) or about? Yes. To think about? Yes. To learn from? Yes. To do our best to not repeat? Yes. To apologize for? HELL NO.

As ArizonaBear mentioned earlier, the past is the past. It’s gone. And I wasn’t there. Neither were you. Why in God’s name should you feel responsible for any of it? Sheesh! I hope that took a load off your mind. If it did and you feel appreciative, I do have a PayPal account. I’m not a therapist, but I’m glad I could help!
I never did say that anyone or myself should apologize. I never did anything wrong, and neither did my ancestors. They were simply minding their own business, but that's another story. Yeah, no one should apologize for the past, but at least keep in mind and not have the mentality that "Americans" rule and will always rule and control whoever and whatever. People who hate, discriminate, anti-spanish, or anti-Hispanics on this forum seem to have this sort of mentality. As if the gates to the United States should be closed just because you and many others were given the chance and opportunity. Our nation was a land of immigrants and should be remembered for it, and should continue to be a land of immigrants, not idiots.

Some people are too close-minded and wrapped up in their own narrow perspectives.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:27 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,315,621 times
Quote:
Some people are too close-minded and wrapped up in their own narrow perspectives.

Yeah, and I am glad that you realize that point. You can work on that problem for yourself.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I never did say that anyone or myself should apologize. I never did anything wrong, and neither did my ancestors. They were simply minding their own business, but that's another story. Yeah, no one should apologize for the past, but at least keep in mind and not have the mentality that "Americans" rule and will always rule and control whoever and whatever. People who hate, discriminate, anti-spanish, or anti-Hispanics on this forum seem to have this sort of mentality. As if the gates to the United States should be closed just because you and many others were given the chance and opportunity. Our nation was a land of immigrants and should be remembered for it, and should continue to be a land of immigrants, not idiots.

Yes: I am prejudiced against illegal aliens-------------irrespective of race/ethnicity.

I simply do not like Felony lawbreakers--------and, most illegals qualify as such.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:54 AM

10,451 posts, read 10,042,172 times
Quote:
...not have the mentality that "Americans" rule and will always rule and control whoever and whatever. People who hate, discriminate...
Well, I can't speak for everyone, and clearly history is full of individuals and groups of people who do just that, but I have absoloutely no desire to have power or rule over anyone other than myself.

Again, personal philosophy, but I do not form an opinion of anyone based on anything besides their actions. I don't care if they are from the outer rings of Saturn.

Quote:
Our nation was a land of immigrants and should be remembered for it, and should continue to be a land of immigrants, not idiots.

Well, I'm absolutely against unfair stereotyping and culture bashing... and I'm pro LEGAL immigration. However, I believe most of those with 'narrow perspectives' have simply come to the end of their tether with the illegal immigration issue. Obviously, some take it a lot further (which is unfair and immoral, IMO); but if we could just focus solely on illegal immigration and not embellish it, I think we'd be better off and have a better chance of understanding the problems for EVERYONE that it creates.

Hmm... closed mind? Well, let’s attempt a probe of the ‘closed mind,’ shall we:

I think outrage is sparked in the ‘closed mind’ when a criminal (yes, illegal immigrants are criminals) is not punished for his or her crime, but rather, given a hearty pat on the back… and social services that are not even available to a citizen--free health care, money, welfare, etc. And not only that, said funding is coming from the ‘closed mind’s’ pocketbook. As a ‘closed mind,’ wouldn’t that bother you at all? It does me, so I guess I’m closed-minded on this issue. A lot of ‘closed minds’ out there are very charitable, but few get the warm fuzzies about being a cash cow in a federal milking machine that rewards criminals.

I’ve been jumping up and down, and screaming and crying on this thread that although everyone should know English in the US, they should also have the freedom to speak any language they want in their personal lives. But as has been pointed out, illegal immigration is a totally separate (and criminal) issue. It needs to be stopped. It just does. And if that attitude is ‘closed minded,’ so be it. The citizenry of this country being fleeced by individuals who should not be here is certainly NOT acceptable. I don’t know what kind of ‘perspective’ would find it acceptable. Live in the NOW and THINK about it.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 23,271 times
Default Spanish

I am American born and I speak Spanish and French fluently. Why not? We border the largest Spanish speaking country in the world. It has more to do with a sense of education and an acknowledgement that we live in a globalized society. Just as teens are allowed to drop out of school at 16, I suppose citizens can also exercise their right not to learn anything 'extra.'

Old 01-11-2009, 01:00 PM

197 posts, read 231,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWerner57 View Post
I am American born and I speak Spanish and French fluently. Why not? We border the largest Spanish speaking country in the world. It has more to do with a sense of education and an acknowledgement that we live in a globalized society. Just as teens are allowed to drop out of school at 16, I suppose citizens can also exercise their right not to learn anything 'extra.'
Congratulations, you have the tools to triumph in our society,.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or