U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 08:13 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,355,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Most can speak english but simply prefer Spanish. What difference does it make if you have to hear "press 1 for spanish" . Are you really serious?!
Lazy I guess...

Old 01-11-2009, 08:14 PM

117 posts, read 132,210 times
Quote:
Most can speak english but simply prefer Spanish. What difference does it make if you have to hear "press 1 for spanish" . Are you really serious?!
My time isimportant to me. I don't like it wasted. Stare death down a few times and you might understand why a few seconds matter.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,665,827 times
Quote:
Sorry you guys, you have forgot something about the USA. Let's not forget, you don't have to learn Spanish, just as any Mexican, Cuban, Colombian, Venezuelan etc.. (yes there are more than just mexicans!) does not have to learn english. Here's the difference the Mexicans come here, and the ones that learn English now speak Spanish and English, and now you are the American with only English... who's a better candidate? Now you have an American who learns Spanish who's now bilingual. And now we have mr. Redneck who think everyone should learn English and refuses to learn a foreign language.

You answer me... who's the best candiate for the job? If you can't come to terms with the global market of today, and can't realize it isn't only about the USA. It is about being about to compete in the job market in your area, if you can't do that it is only going to get worse.
If you have a problem with most Americans remaining English speaking only..........perhaps you would be happier living in another country.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:38 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,665,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Even if that were to happen, America would still border Mexico. Even if America took over all of Mexico, we'd still be bordering Spanish speaking countries.
Other than Guatemala: name me one Spanish speaking country that borders Mexico. Belize does not count: the official tongue there is English.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,046,800 times
Quote:
If they can speak English, why the demand - and it is a demand - that Spanish be offered to them?
But it also begs a larger question.....there has been post after post after post accusing people who do not wish to speak Spanish as xenophobes yet from the same people come post after post after post excusing Spanish speakers from not learning English.
A bit of a double standard, no?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,908,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
If they can speak English, why the demand - and it is a demand - that Spanish be offered to them?
But it also begs a larger question.....there has been post after post after post accusing people who do not wish to speak Spanish as xenophobes yet from the same people come post after post after post excusing Spanish speakers from not learning English.
A bit of a double standard, no?
I agree. If we are not pandering to them then why is it only spanish that gets this special treatment?
I am with the leatherhead guy on this one. Our gov should be conducting business in english only.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:17 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,511,109 times
Funny that with Filipinos living in the U.S they are the extreme oppposite from Hispanics. Here in the Bay Area it is very rare to come across a Filipino who does not know how to speak English.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:20 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,908,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Funny that with Filipinos living in the U.S they are the extreme oppposite from Hispanics. Here in the Bay Area it is very rare to come across a Filipino who does not know how to speak English.
Very very true. And that goes for New York and VA also.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,265,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If you have a problem with most Americans remaining English speaking only..........perhaps you would be happier living in another country.
Why would I have a problem with what they choose? I only think they are hurting theirselves.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 PM

197 posts, read 231,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

No one here has said that, only two points people are trying to make:

1. In this, our beloved country we speak in the language we want.

2. The more languages you know, the better, specially Spanish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or