U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-12-2009, 06:19 AM

18,203 posts, read 9,484,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Unfortunately, it seems you can't think straight or your priorities are completely off-base.. personally I think it is both.

You think that an option of pressing 1 for spanish or staying on the line for english is adding 25 minutes to your phone call?

By the way, I'm glad to see some good well thought out arguments to my statement..
Perhaps you should learn to read. I never said the press one for spanish adds 25 minutes. I said after navigating through the automated operator takes 25 minutes. I said then you get someone who speaks english with such a heavy accent that you can't understand them anyway.
So which priorities are off base? Did I even elude to any priorities?
Read the post first next time.
Your post still failed to explain why our GOV needs to include a press 1 for spanish. What does that have to do with making money? Selling a product?
In this case it is the GOV acting as a facilitaor relieving non-english speakers the burden of having to learn the language.
Please explain why we allow non-english speakers to take a drivers test when they can't read write nor speak english and use their own translator? Of course thats for spanish speakers. My wife who is Thai was not allowed that priveledge. So please please explain why it is acceptable for spanish speakers but not other languages. Oh and please explain how that has anything to do with capitalism.

Unread 01-12-2009, 06:26 AM

21,157 posts, read 24,273,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Why do I need to speak Spanish? is the question.

Many Spanish speakers who do not speak English and of course ask Americans to learn their language to accommodate them after entering ILLEGALLY. They feel a bit of discrimination I'm thinking.

Sometimes I tend to feel discriminated against also. I speak Hungarian and never find anyone at the stores that I can converse with in my first language. Should I have a major protest to have my way?.
After all I have rights also...but wait a minute...I do speak English and some Spanish but do all my business in English because this country of ours is a English speaking country to begin with since 1776 as the Declaration of Independence is in ENGLISH.

Gosh...hope I made my point...Steve
Yeppers.

My father's first language is Hungarian as well: that stated; he was forced to learn German while a DP in 1948 and once here in the States (1951) learned English quickly. Still an accent but at least the man's grammar is correct.

Unread 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,858,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Perhaps you should learn to read. I never said the press one for spanish adds 25 minutes. I said after navigating through the automated operator takes 25 minutes. I said then you get someone who speaks english with such a heavy accent that you can't understand them anyway.
So which priorities are off base? Did I even elude to any priorities?
Read the post first next time.
Your post still failed to explain why our GOV needs to include a press 1 for spanish. What does that have to do with making money? Selling a product?
In this case it is the GOV acting as a facilitaor relieving non-english speakers the burden of having to learn the language.
Please explain why we allow non-english speakers to take a drivers test when they can't read write nor speak english and use their own translator? Of course thats for spanish speakers. My wife who is Thai was not allowed that priveledge. So please please explain why it is acceptable for spanish speakers but not other languages. Oh and please explain how that has anything to do with capitalism.
1. you are the one who complained about sitting on the phone for 30 minutes.
2. i live in miami without that problem, i really think you are trying to make things up here
3. our government has that button because of the high population of people that speak it. It is difficult to just learn a new language, and because of the high population of Spanish speakers then they will help them out a bit.

4. If I remember correctly, I was in the Minneapolis and there was no Spanish, instead everything was in English and Chinese. Why should we cater to those CHINESE PEOPLE!? Haha, come on, it isn't the people, it is the population, get over it.

Unread 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
1. you are the one who complained about sitting on the phone for 30 minutes.
2. i live in miami without that problem, i really think you are trying to make things up here
3. our government has that button because of the high population of people that speak it. It is difficult to just learn a new language, and because of the high population of Spanish speakers then they will help them out a bit.

4. If I remember correctly, I was in the Minneapolis and there was no Spanish, instead everything was in English and Chinese. Why should we cater to those CHINESE PEOPLE!? Haha, come on, it isn't the people, it is the population, get over it.
If you do not like the way we do things here in the USA---------move to another country.

Unread 01-12-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If you do not like the way we do things here in the USA---------move to another country.
I like the way we do things here, maybe you should be the one moving..

No offense but I'm defending the US..

Unread 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM

13,387 posts, read 8,977,046 times
Quote:
I like the way we do things here, maybe you should be the one moving..

No offense but I'm defending the US..
It doesn't sound like it.

Unread 01-12-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
It doesn't sound like it.
Aren't I the one defending the US policies to add spanish? It seems to me like the ones complaining aren't american because they don't agree the government is allowed to help people that don't prefer english.

I personally don't think anyone should be given benefits from the government whether they speak english or not. You want to debate politics or spread hatred of a group of people?

Unread 01-12-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Aren't I the one defending the US policies to add spanish? It seems to me like the ones complaining aren't american because they don't agree the government is allowed to help people that don't prefer english.

I personally don't think anyone should be given benefits from the government whether they speak english or not. You want to debate politics or spread hatred of a group of people?
The language of daily use in the USA is English: not Spanish or any other tongue; again, if you have a problem with that---------leave.

Most Americans are quite happy using just English in our nation.

Unread 01-12-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
The language of daily use in the USA is English: not Spanish or any other tongue; again, if you have a problem with that---------leave.

There's also Americans who are happy with using their own language when they like. Since when did America become the land of the not so free? If I recall, we have the freedom of speech here?

Unread 01-12-2009, 02:45 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,000,603 times
Quote:

We are not suffering in this country. I don't speak Spanish enough to ever use any of the things offered in Spanish, and my life is A-OK.

If you have a problem with this country, and the people in it, then maybe you should leave.

The majority of people in this country are not suffering from Spanish being spoken here. Just those who dwell on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration