U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 PM

15,181 posts, read 10,285,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuimanu View Post
In some cases, making such judgments is practical. If I am in the "wrong" part of town, and I see some guys with clothing and mannerisms suggesting that they are in a gang - shall I wait and get a full assessment? Or, shall I do some "duck typing" and do a 180 and get out of there?

The ability to distinguish and act on scant first impressions is what has allowed humans to survive and evolve. A perfect accounting of the facts is rarely available a priori.
Absolutely! Fight or Flight.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:58 PM

35 posts, read 50,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishRules View Post
Maybe because that's not true, so that never really crossed my mind. You say the first world nations: Is Russia English-speaking? Is Germany? Is France?
Looks like you need some help in understanding what the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Hemisphere is.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,622,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
What a stupid comment. And racist.
Would that 'racist' label apply if a White person saw a bunch of White skinhead looking guys and the former decided to give the latter a wide berth?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:53 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,665,771 times
Here goes the polarization thing again. Our society seems to thrive on it. Profiling. I really don’t think there is ANYONE who hasn’t or doesn’t ‘profile’ when the need arises. If not, that person is just waiting in line for the next Darwin Award.

In the interests of ‘fairness,’ the PC crowd believes in giving everyone a ‘fair shake.’ So do I. They abhor racism. So do I. But then the PC crowd runs with the ball past the goal line, over the grandstand, through the parking lot, and out into the countryside.

Scenario and Outcome:

Scenario:
There is a big, bad looking cat with a switchblade in his hand, eyeballing you as he walks straight toward you (you name the race, it’s not important in this scenario). There are several other ‘nice people’ like him walking right behind.

Outcome for normal person:
Looks like a bunch of creeps. I’d better get the hell out of here before I get my throat slit. (fast running follows)

[note: OUCH!!! 'creeps'??? Did the normal person really say that? How insensitive. ]

Outcome for the Politically Correct:
Oh look! There is a fellow with a weapon, and his friends, walking towards me. It appears he might be dangerous. But that’s judging. That is profiling. Hmmm, I wonder if that weapon he is brandishing is legal. Perhaps legislation should be proposed that might outlaw this sort of weapon. I wonder what sort of childhood this gentleman had? I’ll just bet you dollars to doughnuts that he was an at-risk youth. Yes. Just look at him. He looks disadvantaged. Oh... sorry, I shouldn't be profiling like that. Anyway, you know, it’s just a matter of reaching out, holding hands, and singing Kumbaya. That’s all. He is not not bad. He can’t be blamed. This guy probably came from an economically disadvantaged neighborhood--a low-income, single parent household. Drugs were probably a huge part of his childhood. Perhaps alcohol too. “Oh… hello sir… Nice evening, isn't it?”
(throat is then slit) (newspaper article follows) (Darwin Award candidate for 2009 or at least an honorable mention if he survives).

But hey… at least he didn’t profile the guy, right.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Would that 'racist' label apply if a White person saw a bunch of White skinhead looking guys and the former decided to give the latter a wide berth?
Uh, I don't know. Do white skinheads generally hate other white people?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:19 PM

8,187 posts, read 7,922,283 times
Quote:
Uh, I don't know. Do white skinheads generally hate other white people?
That answer would be 'yes'.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:09 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That answer would be 'yes'.

Totally off topic from the OP, but FYI the skinhead movement was originally a Mod fashion/music scene in the UK, not a racist organization. In fact, it had bi-racial roots stemming from Kingston, Jamaica. But a fringe of the original group acted out in neo-nazi white supremacy starting in the 70's. Now, skinheads are seen as synonymous with white supremacy. You may be surprised to know that SHARPS (Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice) are anti-racist.

Skinhead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhea...cial_Prejudice

Old 01-19-2009, 06:39 PM

8,187 posts, read 7,922,283 times
Quote:
Totally off topic from the OP, but FYI the skinhead movement was originally a Mod fashion/music scene in the UK, not a racist organization. In fact, it had bi-racial roots stemming from Kingston, Jamaica. But a fringe of the original group acted out in neo-nazi white supremacy starting in the 70's. Now, skinheads are seen as synonymous with white supremacy. You may be surprised to know that SHARPS (Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice) are anti-racist.

Skinhead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I actually did know that, and that their ties with S&M were also more about fashion then actual sexual deviancy. But if we are talking about white supremicists they tend to view other whites that don't agree with them and their agenda as traitors to the race and as such just as 'deserving' of a beating as a black guy. If not more so.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM

197 posts, read 167,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Richardson is obviously a Mestizo, genetically speaking.

In Latin America, he would probably be counted as 'White' under their customs.

Vicente Fox is definitely White but would be counted as Hispanic here in the states.

Again: both Hispanic and Latino are weasel words----------designed in part to deceive.
you are so obssesed with cultural traits of cultures that you don't seem to know much about, why don't you make it easy to yourself and define what an average american is, is it closer to an african american from the south,
an oriental from SF, a hispanic from anywhere in the U.S. or an english descendant in a trailer park, or abandoned on the streets by their family.What could be deceiving here?????

Old 02-07-2009, 01:29 PM

5,172 posts, read 5,412,705 times
When someone asks me a question in Spanish directly (no English), I'll always answer back in Chinese.. if they expect me to know their language, I'll expect them to know mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration