U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 04:47 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,357,905 times

Advertisements

Americans are going to need to become Bilingual or even trilingual...whether it is Spanish, Japanese, or Chinese it is still going to a be a necessity.

Spanish isn't going anywhere because whether illegals leave or not our neighbors to the south are still Spanish speaking.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:35 PM

3,887 posts, read 6,008,185 times
55% of the words in the English language come straight from Latin so don't tell me that Spanish speaking people can't learn English.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEFF19 View Post
It will do you some good to learn another language and culture. By the way their are about five million illegal immigrants and about forty five million legals hispanics. It will do you some good to learn about the culture and history of much of the United States specially if you live in the southwest people that have been here since when this areas belong to the Spanish and then Mexicans. Just like you know of the history of the British colonies.
The illegals are leaving in droves as we speak.

Considering that the USA is much stronger than Mexico: it would behoove the latter nation's people to learn English for a number of reasons.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:00 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Americans are going to need to become Bilingual or even trilingual...whether it is Spanish, Japanese, or Chinese it is still going to a be a necessity.

Spanish isn't going anywhere because whether illegals leave or not our neighbors to the south are still Spanish speaking.
I am hearing less and less Spanish around here already----------and, our looming depression will force the authorities to really crank up forced deportations.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:11 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,225,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
What has the ability of speaking a second language has to do with American turning into a 3rd world country? I know of plenty of countries where speaking a second or third language is a an asset, not a burden. Have you been to Europe?
I'm talking about FOB hispanics coming into this country and only speaking their native language & not making the effort of learning english.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,225,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I don't care if people don't want to learn English here, someone has to dig the ditches, empty trash cans and scrub the toilets

Unless you are a diplomat most jobs that don't require English are bottom feeder jobs. Have at it, that won't change for a long, long time.
Quote:
I agree. Most of those people that do those jobs are immigrants that don't speak English. Unless they need to speak to the toilett, there is no need for them to learn the language.
Agreed, those are the FOB immigrants who have no skills and have no choice but to work in those type of jobs.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,357,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am hearing less and less Spanish around here already----------and, our looming depression will force the authorities to really crank up forced deportations.
The point you are missing is that many Americans (non illegals) speak Spanish. The point you are missing is that many Americans do business with Mexico. The point you are missing that a good business man learns the language of the customer.

Lets say a Chinese business man had a huge contract and had to pick between you and another business person. You are English only because that is your conviction and you think that they the customer should learn English.... However, the other business man went the extra mile and learned the langauge of the customer. I wonder who wins the contract?

If you want to lose out on opportunity because of stubbornness then that is you prerogative. Just don't get pissed off when someone else caters to the customer and gets that business...

Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 PM

7,352 posts, read 9,003,090 times
Quote:
Is that the best you could do? I am disapointed ArizonaBear. Stop fighting and give up. Whether you like it or not, the USA will eventually be a billingual nation, where if you don't speak Spanish, you won't get a decent job. Nothing to do with immigrants. It is all about globalization. Who knows, maybe Chinese will also be required. I know, the hairs in the back of your neck must be up......don't be afraid, we won't bite.
No, it will not. And precisely because it's a nation of immigrants. Making America bilingual would require that new immigrants be pressured to learn two languages instead of just one. And there is no reason why the language of one immigrant group should now be privileged over the language of other groups.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:29 PM

7,352 posts, read 9,003,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
The point you are missing is that many Americans (non illegals) speak Spanish. The point you are missing is that many Americans do business with Mexico. The point you are missing that a good business man learns the language of the customer.

Lets say a Chinese business man had a huge contract and had to pick between you and another business person. You are English only because that is your conviction and you think that they the customer should learn English.... However, the other business man went the extra mile and learned the langauge of the customer. I wonder who wins the contract?

If you want to lose out on opportunity because of stubbornness then that is you prerogative. Just don't get pissed off when someone else caters to the customer and gets that business...
The international language of business is English. People all over the world are now expected to know English. Not Spanish. And certainly not any Asian languages (which are extremely complex and difficult to learn). People from Latin America or Mexico who plan to engage in international business better learn English.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:35 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,552,571 times
you dont--- they will give you that unemployment check in english or spanish no problem.
employers demand these skills bek they can. remember we said unions were a waste
and that the corporations and the government would treat us fairly, yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or