U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 PM

7,352 posts, read 8,998,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
HA, HA, HA, There are almost 50 million hispanic-american in the US, that are US citizens and ain't going away, most of them speak spanish, Spanish in our culture has been a fact for ages, more-over the two gigantic spanish networks; telemundo, and univision help spanish/hispanic culture
to be an everyday thing in the united states.
Then add the huge amount of undocumented and growing number of anchor babies, and cinco di mayo will be a national holiday in the US.
Newsflash: There are many, many hispanic-Americans who believe that Spanish-speaking immigrants should learn to speak English, and who do not support there being a bilingual culture. If everyone speaks English, why would there need to be a bilingual culture? And if Spanish-speaking immigrants move here and refuse to learn English, then perhaps they should go home, since they clearly prefer living in a Spanish-speaking culture.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
So much anger. The Spaniards did rule The Philippines for 300 years, but after the Americans took over, we imposed English on them. Under the U.S. occupation and civil regime, English began to be taught in schools. By 1901, public education used English as the medium of instruction. Around 600 educators who arrived in that year replaced the soldiers who also functioned as teachers. The 1935 Constitution added English as an official language alongside Spanish. So yeah, it sounds to me like it was imposed. Not by choice. Easy on the anger buddy.
But Spanish is a colonial language, too. Unless you come from Spain.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I am glad to see that in this nation where most people only want to speak English and force others to only speak it, at least one person has some knowledge of other languages.

Now regarding my comment about Spanish being as similar to English as Russian is to Mandarin, I was being sarcastic. Spanish is very different compared with English, and I know that Mandarin is way different to Russian. I know, I speak Mandarin, I'm half Chinese.

So over all, I am not sure what your point was, maybe you just wanted us to be impress with your knowledge about languages' history. Which still does not prove that you speak or have studied all those langueges in a conversational manner. Reading recipe books does not mean you are a good chef.
What do you mean that others are "forced" to speak English here? English is the language of this country, the language spoken--for centuries--by its citizens. Are the immigrants to Mexico or Colombia "forced" to speak Spanish? Shouldn't immigrants to any nation learn the language of the nation to which they immigrate?

Old 02-12-2009, 05:08 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,384,786 times
I kind of get your frustration. When a person moves to the United States, or any other country for that matter, they are expected to speak or have some knowledge of the native language.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:27 PM

43 posts, read 45,967 times
Quote:
That's your opinion, because you are Puerto Rican. It hurts to know that we were so prosperous while others were not. But that's not what this thread is about.
Opinion????, not at all, common knowledge; pre-castro cuba was just like any other thirld world republic, with a few privileged ones, and a lot of people living in misery, more over, the "white" minority was excessively racist and abusive of the blacks, which constitute the vast majority of cubans, my family did business in cuba at that time and remember how it was, the fact that I have Puerto-Rican ancestry make me unbiased since we accepted the US domination, becoming the most prosperous country
of the americas south of US, while retained our Spanish culture.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Wrong! English is a Germanic language, not a Romance language like Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French, Catalan, Galician and Valencian. English and Spanish are as similar as Mandarin and Russian.
HA, HA, HA, I guess you know nothing about spanish, I speak several Romance languages, german, and some Russian, and I can tell you that by far the closest grammar to english, is that of Spanish,

Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,654,941 times
Quote:
HA, HA, HA, I guess you know nothing about spanish, I speak several Romance languages, german, and some Russian, and I can tell you that by far the closest grammar to english, is that of Spanish,
Actually; the closest major language to English is Dutch........I can read some of the latter tongue.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:18 AM

537 posts, read 255,984 times
Quote:
Opinion????, not at all, common knowledge; pre-castro cuba was just like any other thirld world republic, with a few privileged ones, and a lot of people living in misery, more over, the "white" minority was excessively racist and abusive of the blacks, which constitute the vast majority of cubans, my family did business in cuba at that time and remember how it was, the fact that I have Puerto-Rican ancestry make me unbiased since we accepted the US domination, becoming the most prosperous country
of the americas south of US, while retained our Spanish culture.
According to the Cuban census of 1952, whites were not a minority. There was a massive Spanish immigration to Cuba after 1902.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 AM

537 posts, read 255,984 times
Quote:
Spanish is a Romance language. Does the English grammar have something close to Preterito Pluscuanperfecto?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo46 View Post
Spanish is a Romance language. Does the English grammar have something close to Preterito Pluscuanperfecto?

Its called past participle you genius.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or