U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Chambersburg, PA
71 posts, read 142,014 times
Reputation: 71

Advertisements

As a native american, that is, someone who was born here, whose ancestors immigrated LEGALLY in the early 1900s AND on the Mayflower, I don't understand why someone would want to move to a country and not embrace it's language and customs. My ancestors who came over in the 1900s didn't speak any English when they came over, and to hear my father talk about his grandparents (the ones who immigrated), they never became fluent in English, BUT they had the benefit of living in a neighborhood where everyone spoke their native tongue (Slovak) and a lot of people also spoke English and were willing to help out those that didn't speak English. I think that keeping ahold of one's native language and customs is a fantastic idea, but it is important to become assimilated into one's new country. If I moved to another country, I would make every effort to embrace that culture while instilling in my children the culture and language of the United States.

Last edited by GJHJ; 02-13-2009 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: typo

 
Old 02-13-2009, 11:17 AM
 
43 posts, read 33,157 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo46 View Post
According to the Cuban census of 1952, whites were not a minority. There was a massive Spanish immigration to Cuba after 1902.
I have been to Cuba several times, traveling from havana, all the way to oriente, I can tell you that the strong majority of people are black, and btw very nice people, unlike the cubans in miami that have made miami an impossible place to live with all the crime, and fraud. Miami has among the most expensive insurance rates in the U.S.

Last edited by boricuita; 02-13-2009 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: grammar
 
Old 02-13-2009, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Miami
537 posts, read 179,290 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
I have been to Cuba several times, traveling from havana, all the way to oriente, I can tell you that the strong majority of people are black, and btw very nice people, unlike the cubans in miami that have made miami an impossible place to live with all the crime, and fraud. Miami has among the most expensive insurance rates in the U.S.
I'm not denying that White Cubans are a minority now. Were you in Cuba before 1959?
 
Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
6,686 posts, read 5,547,698 times
Reputation: 6325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo46 View Post
Spanish is a Romance language. Does the English grammar have something close to Preterito Pluscuanperfecto?
No it does not. Spanish has a far more complicated verb/mood system than does English. Actually, at one time, English was far more complex than it is now--complete with moods and cases. We've lost most of it. Although, interestingly enough, English still does have the subjunctive mood... barely. It's getting more uncommon in everyday speech and most folks either don't understand its usage, don't use it, or don't really know they are using it. Personally, I didn't know this until after I started studying Spanish and later became interested in other languages.

As ArizonaBear mentioned, Dutch is the closest language to English, along with Frisian and Scots (YES, it's a language). As for similarities to the grammar of English: that would be Dutch, Frisian, Norwegian/Swedish/Danish, and a little further out would be German (we are talking about language structure, not vocabulary).
 
Old 02-13-2009, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Miami
537 posts, read 179,290 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
Its called past participle you genius.......
Look it up. Nothing like Preterito Pluscuanperfecto. Spanish is considered Romance language and English is not.

I'm a Spanish teacher
 
Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Miami
537 posts, read 179,290 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No it does not. Spanish has a far more complicated verb/mood system than does English. Actually, at one time, English had a far more complex verb system/mood system than it does now--complete with moods, and cases. We've lost most of it. Although, interestingly enough, English does have the subjunctive mood... barely. It's getting more uncommon in everyday speech and most folks either don't understand its usage or don't really know they are using it. Personally, I didn't know this until after I started studying Spanish and later became interested in other languages.

As ArizonaBear mentioned, Dutch is the closest language to English, along with Frisian and Scots (YES, it's a language). As for similarities to the grammar of English: that would be Dutch, Frisian, Norwegian/Swedish/Danish, and a little further out would be German (we are talking about language structure, not vocabulary).
Agree.
 
Old 02-13-2009, 02:05 PM
 
43 posts, read 33,157 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No it does not. Spanish has a far more complicated verb/mood system than does English. Actually, at one time, English was far more complex than it is now--complete with moods and cases. We've lost most of it. Although, interestingly enough, English still does have the subjunctive mood... barely. It's getting more uncommon in everyday speech and most folks either don't understand its usage, don't use it, or don't really know they are using it. Personally, I didn't know this until after I started studying Spanish and later became interested in other languages.

As ArizonaBear mentioned, Dutch is the closest language to English, along with Frisian and Scots (YES, it's a language). As for similarities to the grammar of English: that would be Dutch, Frisian, Norwegian/Swedish/Danish, and a little further out would be German (we are talking about language structure, not vocabulary).
Spanish has a more sophisticated structure, however mood is not a part of it, but complex it is not, in fact the most precise spelling of all languages, it has a lot of resemblance to english, english in turn has very little resemblance to spanish, al and all, who care! Spanish is our very strong second language, its ubiquitous all over the US.
 
Old 02-13-2009, 03:17 PM
 
Location: San Diego
17,304 posts, read 13,790,308 times
Reputation: 6127
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
its ubiquitous all over the US.

That's right, because of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS
 
Old 02-13-2009, 03:33 PM
 
Location: The Queen City
1,086 posts, read 1,696,192 times
Reputation: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
But Spanish is a colonial language, too. Unless you come from Spain.
Not necessarily. For example, in Cuba the Spaniards killed all the indians and they populated the island with their own people. Therefore, most Cubans can trace their heritage back to Spain and we call it the Mother Land. Cubans are Spaniards born in the island. So we don't consider Spanish a colonial language, because we are Spaniards too.
 
Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 PM
 
Location: The Queen City
1,086 posts, read 1,696,192 times
Reputation: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
Opinion????, not at all, common knowledge; pre-castro cuba was just like any other thirld world republic, with a few privileged ones, and a lot of people living in misery, more over, the "white" minority was excessively racist and abusive of the blacks, which constitute the vast majority of cubans, my family did business in cuba at that time and remember how it was, the fact that I have Puerto-Rican ancestry make me unbiased since we accepted the US domination, becoming the most prosperous country
of the americas south of US, while retained our Spanish culture.
You're wrong again. The majority of Cubans are white of Spanish descent. Blacks are a minority like in the USA. PR is just a colony of the USA. The USA says jump, you say how high. Cuba might be in bad shape right now, but at least we kept our independence. And eventhough I live in the USA, I gotta say, I have to congratulate Castro for always standing up to the USA. No other country in this Hemisphere has done that and last more than 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top