U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 02:33 PM

43 posts, read 45,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
You're wrong again. The majority of Cubans are white of Spanish descent. Blacks are a minority like in the USA. PR is just a colony of the USA. The USA says jump, you say how high. Cuba might be in bad shape right now, but at least we kept our independence. And eventhough I live in the USA, I gotta say, I have to congratulate Castro for always standing up to the USA. No other country in this Hemisphere has done that and last more than 50 years.
Over 95% of portorricans consistently vote in favor on a permanent union with the US, and make no excuses for it, we love it, exiled cubans in turn are always claiming some kind of national identity, while sucking up to the federal government, they criticize and attempt to ridicule castro, but his regime still stands firm after almost 50 years.
Like I've said, I've been to cuba several times, and know the island in and out, and can assure that over 70% of cuban are afro-cuban(and very nice indeed)

Old 02-14-2009, 02:46 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
You're wrong again. The majority of Cubans are white of Spanish descent. Blacks are a minority like in the USA. PR is just a colony of the USA. The USA says jump, you say how high. [Cuba might be in bad shape right now, but at least we kept our independence. And eventhough I live in the USA, I gotta say, I have to congratulate Castro for always standing up to the USA. No other country in this Hemisphere has done that and last more than 50 years.
Not according to this:

Quote:
US aid to Cuba unfrozen, State Dep. pledges reform

The Associated Press
Wednesday, July 23rd 2008, 10:12 AM
MIAMI — House lawmakers agreed to unfreeze $45 million in assistance to Cuba after the U.S. State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development promised to immediately work to improve the program, the head of the House Foreign Affairs Committee announced Tuesday.
Last month, committee chairman U.S. Rep. Howard L. Berman, D-Calif., put a hold on the money in the wake of reports of fraud by two groups receiving some of the largest federal grants in the program.
Berman lifted the freeze Monday, but only after the State Department's and U.S. Agency for International Development agreed to an extensive review of each of the grants, including an independent audit of the program.
The funding freeze was partly in response to a $500,000 embezzlement at one of the groups, the Washington-based Center for a Free Cuba, federal officials said.
The Miami Herald first reported the freeze Tuesday.
"In response to our Committee's concerns, USAID has announced an immediate review and an expanded audit of all Cuba democracy program participants, and I applaud this expanded oversight," Berman said in a statement.
Berman said additional assurances Monday by the State Department that it understood "the gravity of the problems in these programs" and was working to correct them convinced him to release the funding "except that funds will not be extended to those program participants that are under investigation."
U.S. AID recently suspended the second organization, Grupo de Apoyo a la Democracia (Support Group for Democracy), according to a July 18 memo from U.S. AID Deputy Assistant Administrator Stephen Driesler to Congressional staff members.
The review found an employee at the Miami-based exile group spent thousands of dollars in grant money on personal items, according to a memo sent by U.S. AID official Stephen Driesler on Friday to various members of Congress.
About $11,000 was reimbursed, but the amount missing could be higher, according to Driesler.
A message left by The Associated Press late Tuesday afternoon for Frank Trujillo, head of Support Group for Democracy, was not immediately returned.
Congress' investigative arm issued a report in 2006 critical of some of the aid organizations, and AID had planned to shift much of its funding to overseas groups that support Cuban dissidents from the traditional Miami-based aid organizations and academic institutions.
In June, Berman sent a letter to USAID administrator Henrietta Fore expressing concern that the suspended grant to the Center for a Free Cuba was about to be reinstated, despite lingering questions about what the stolen money was used for, and how the remaining grant money would be spent for if unfrozen.
Executive director Frank Calzon said Tuesday that the center was unfairly targeted.
He emphasized that the center had discovered the theft and recouped the money, as well as reported incident to the government.
"No one has found anything wrong with the Center for a Free Cuba, except the Center for a Free Cuba," he said.
He said he Cuba programs faced extra scrutiny because some lawmakers like Berman oppose the U.S. government's policy toward Cuba, including its decades-long embargo of the communist Island.
"It's easier to go after a program if you disagree with the policy," he said.
US aid to Cuba unfrozen, State Dep. pledges reform
Apparently, even in Cuba money trumps everything . . . . including pride and independence.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:36 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
Over 95% of portorricans consistently vote in favor on a permanent union with the US, and make no excuses for it, we love it, exiled cubans in turn are always claiming some kind of national identity, while sucking up to the federal government, they criticize and attempt to ridicule castro, but his regime still stands firm after almost 50 years.
Like I've said, I've been to cuba several times, and know the island in and out, and can assure that over 70% of cuban are afro-cuban(and very nice indeed)
Frankly: the USA may be better off cutting Puerto Rico loose and letting that island fend for itself. The alternative would be to mandate that English be the language for all government business with Spanish reserved for public health/safety needs only.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:48 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Frankly: the USA may be better off cutting Puerto Rico loose and letting that island fend for itself. The alternative would be to mandate that English be the language for all government business with Spanish reserved for public health/safety needs only.
Going to agree with you bear.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:00 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,476,861 times
America the land of mental midgets where hearing another language spoken evokes the spirit of Nazi Germans & of the Jews (insert Mexicans >>> here) taking over our culture!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
America the land of mental midgets where hearing another language spoken evokes the spirit of Nazi Germans & of the Jews (insert Mexicans >>> here) taking over our culture!
How dare you insult the memory of the Holocaust!

Most of the Jews living in 1930's Germany were citizens of that nation unlike those criminals from SOB, etc. living illegally here in the USA.

Besides: I can safely say that most of us on this board have no desire to murder Mexican nationals simply because of their nationality----------we simply want them out of the USA.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:53 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
How dare you insult the memory of the Holocaust!

Most of the Jews living in 1930's Germany were citizens of that nation unlike those criminals from SOB, etc. living illegally here in the USA.

Besides: I can safely say that most of us on this board have no desire to murder Mexican nationals simply because of their nationality----------we simply want them out of the USA.
Not all the victims of the Holocaust were citizens of Germany and Austria. In fact the majority were citizens of occupied countries including virtually the entire Jewish populations of Poland and Greece.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Not all the victims of the Holocaust were citizens of Germany and Austria. In fact the majority were citizens of occupied countries including virtually the entire Jewish populations of Poland and Greece.
Point well taken.

That still does not exclude MiamiRob's derogatory comment comparing the plight of Jews as a group 70 years ago to illegal aliens here in the USA. Again: most of us anti illegal folks do not wish to injure/kill illegal aliens (unless they resist deportation using violent means)----------we just want them gone from the USA.

Besides: we have no interest in invading/subjugating Mexico---------barring that nation's possible implosion.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:47 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,476,861 times
ArizonaBear I was implying that the hysteria surrounding the speaking of Spanish in this nation is being ratched up another notch. Some people in this sub forum sound like freaking Nazis with their rhetoric of they are taking over our nation & culture BS.
I wasn't talking about genocide against illegals either, you know what I meant. Spare me your indignation since I grew up around Jews in Miami and know their history very well.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
ArizonaBear I was implying that the hysteria surrounding the speaking of Spanish in this nation is being ratched up another notch. Some people in this sub forum sound like freaking Nazis with their rhetoric of they are taking over our nation & culture BS.
I wasn't talking about genocide against illegals either, you know what I meant. Spare me your indignation since I grew up around Jews in Miami and know their history very well.
When using the Nazi's as a metaphor; that is treading on dangerous ground due to their ghastly history. Yet; where is the rage amongst the Mestizos/Aztecs, etc in, say, Mexico over what the conquistadors did to them 500 years ago? Once Mexico won its war of independence against Spain; I would think that Nahautl would eclipse Spanish yet the descendants of the raped Aztec women embraced Hispanic culture.

Too: some favorite destinations of Nazi's fleeing a crumbling Germany at the end of WW II were Argentina, Chile and probably Uruguay as well. Remember too that another Hispanic nation (also majority White) was on very good terms with Hitler-------------Franco's Spain.

Something to ponder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or