U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 04:25 AM

24 posts, read 184,547 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with Spanish language. You can see it from a cultural way. Learning a language is not that bad anyway. I know you are Americans and you don't want to be forced to do something but don't worry be happy

Old 07-03-2007, 07:48 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Oh yeah...complacency. Now there's a tactic we haven't tried yet.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:10 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The traveller View Post
What's wrong with Spanish language. You can see it from a cultural way. Learning a language is not that bad anyway. I know you are Americans and you don't want to be forced to do something but don't worry be happy
As of late, I am very happy. If I decide to learn a second language, it will be a language of my choosing. No one will 'force' me or anyone else to learn spanish if we are not interested in doing so.
My husband and I are both health care professionals. If we are walking downtown and someone begins shouting in spanish, "My husband is having a heart attack in the parking garage!", there quite simply is not anything we can do to help. This is the United States. We speak English. For all we know, this person may be shouting that he or she has just won the lottery. The fact that they refuse to speak English is their problem. Not mine.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:37 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,346,148 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the Spanish language. I speak a little bit after having taken 3 semesters in college. The question is WHY should I HAVE to learn Spanish? And if I have to learn Spanish to accomodate immigrants, then shouldn't I also have to learn all other languages, or at the very least, the ones that we have the most immigrants that speak it? Why should I show preferential treatment to Spanish speakers over people that speak Chinese or Korean?

Old 07-03-2007, 01:46 PM

105 posts, read 291,056 times
Default yeah okay

Yeah i think we should all do like the traveller said and just agree with whatever everyone tells us. Typical of what most of the people in this country feel, they just do what they have to , to survive and dont care that are beautiful country is going to hell in a handbasket ever since the hispanic population has gone up.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM

1,537 posts, read 3,786,919 times
Their is nothing wrong with the Spanish Language,in fact I think it's a beautiful language,but were in The USA not Latin America.

Immigrants are the one's who should be learning the language of this Country,not us learning their's.

Quote:

Old 07-03-2007, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 7,809 times
It isn't even "push 1 for English" anymore! Many times I listen to "Uno por espanol" and "push 2 for English"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, about all the fast food places, can you also imagine how sanitary they must be, with all the illegals working there?? Just say 'no' to fast food, to spare yourself a week of the "runs", ugh.

just plain ignorance

Old 07-03-2007, 03:35 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali64 View Post
It isn't even "push 1 for English" anymore! Many times I listen to "Uno por espanol" and "push 2 for English"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, about all the fast food places, can you also imagine how sanitary they must be, with all the illegals working there?? Just say 'no' to fast food, to spare yourself a week of the "runs", ugh.

just plain ignorance
At least most of these so-called "ignorant" folk are able to correctly use punctuation and grammer. Spell check is your friend.

You on the other hand, are obviously spoiling for a fight by coming into the forum and alienating everyone right off the bat. So if you are going to continue to do so, could you at least manage enough decorum to insult us using the correct grammer, verbiage, capitalization, and punctuation? At least we won't get a headache trying to decipher your writings as you are taking us to task for our various and assorted faults.

It generally takes ignorance to find ignorance, however those of us with more class are neither crass enough nor rude enough to assume that it our place to point out someone else's personality flaws. But don't let that stop you. Feel free to carry on.

Last edited by Kele; 07-03-2007 at 05:10 PM..

Old 07-03-2007, 05:20 PM

24 posts, read 184,547 times
Ehm ehm.. it was ironic, didn't you realize it??
Well i think you're right after all. If you don't want to speak a foreign language in your own country why you must do it? It's not that you need it anyway, everybody speak english by now worldwide, except for the USA of course (i'm just kidding)

Old 07-03-2007, 09:54 PM

233 posts, read 389,677 times
Default Language

It's funny that at this point in time people are trying to push us in the United States to learn another language. When my sister and I were kids most of our family still spoke German but NEVER around us, we were not taught nor allowed to learn anything but English, it was a source of pride to the elders in our family that we were born here and the really first generation of "Americans" in their eyes. We lived in NYC and when our neighborhood stated turning mostly Puerto Rican and Spanish my sister who was 6 at the time started learning to speak spanish.............OOPS, the family moved us out of there FAST, they loved the diversity of what Harlem was but they were not going to allow us to speak anything but English as we were Americans and in their immigrants eyes that was the best thing in the world you could possibly be. Years later when I made many Italian friends I tried to get them to teach me their language and they too refused to teach me because they felt I should not be speaking another language in America and back then I used to laugh when they said we should treasure our language because they saw the trend we are going thru now when people would be trying to institute another language into our country................smart people those Italians!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or