Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 07:16 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan k View Post
Please tell me what is wrong with this picture?
I have worked for companies such as Tecumseh motors, Sargento cheese, Johnsonville sausage , wausau homes and currently work for the biggest motorcycle conglomerate in the usa Ridenow powersports, but have applied for other jobs here in Phoenix in management but have been told that i need to speak spanish.
Did someone forget to inform me that we were annexed into mexico or is this what the future of our country is destined for.So in other words , i need to go back to school to learn somebody elses language even though they are even legal citizens,bull!
Alot of people dont like Sheriff Joe but as far as i am concerned, "Sheriff Joe for President", just do me a favor.When you arrest them dont give medical aid and food and a place to sleep for a few weeks while the citizens pay taxes to supply these things , just ship their butts back as soon as you find them.
I cant get free food , water, medical and a place to sleep.Someone in government needs to stand up and show some balls,they dont belong here.If they want to be citizens, they can do like so many others" apply for the right to be here".
I still say that if they want to be citizens, then they can apply and any male over 18 then serves 2 years in the military to prove they love this country, once their tour is up then they and their immediate family can be legal citizens.But come on , lets make them earn the right to be here, our boys are over there dying while they sneek across our border and live a better life than i do , now you are saying i need to learn spanish.
I dont think so, wake up people of the usa.
A private company has the right to set their own policies. You have every right to seek employment elsewhere if you disagree with their policies. The United States has no official language, and even if there were an official language, it would only apply to legal documents and procedures. It is doubtful that such legislation would affect the private sector one bit.

Personally, studying languages is something that I've never considered to be a burden. I've enjoyed every minute of my studies of Gaelic and Icelandic. And even picked up a bit of Spanish just from being around Spanish speakers. Take it in stride and make it fun. Remember, this country wouldn't exist if it weren't for immigrants who came looking for a better life. It takes a generation or two for them to fully assimilate. It can be quite fun trying to communicate in their language.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:17 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan k View Post
Please tell me what is wrong with this picture?
I have worked for companies such as Tecumseh motors, Sargento cheese, Johnsonville sausage , wausau homes and currently work for the biggest motorcycle conglomerate in the usa Ridenow powersports, but have applied for other jobs here in Phoenix in management but have been told that i need to speak spanish.
Did someone forget to inform me that we were annexed into mexico or is this what the future of our country is destined for.So in other words , i need to go back to school to learn somebody elses language even though they are even legal citizens,bull!
Alot of people dont like Sheriff Joe but as far as i am concerned, "Sheriff Joe for President", just do me a favor.When you arrest them dont give medical aid and food and a place to sleep for a few weeks while the citizens pay taxes to supply these things , just ship their butts back as soon as you find them.
I cant get free food , water, medical and a place to sleep.Someone in government needs to stand up and show some balls,they dont belong here.If they want to be citizens, they can do like so many others" apply for the right to be here".
I still say that if they want to be citizens, then they can apply and any male over 18 then serves 2 years in the military to prove they love this country, once their tour is up then they and their immediate family can be legal citizens.But come on , lets make them earn the right to be here, our boys are over there dying while they sneek across our border and live a better life than i do , now you are saying i need to learn spanish.
I dont think so, wake up people of the usa.
America's ignorance is what led to this mess... uncontrolled borders, illegal immigrants, etc. led to what you have today... America thought it would be "okay" if it didn't do anything... apparently their mistakes are catching up to them.... soon enough you can't be the President of the USA if you don't speak spanish... and I suppose people here will say, if you don't like it move to another country...

Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That is sad, but it doesn't mean they aren't being taught... they just aren't being taught well, apparently. Maybe our educational system is to blame, huh?
The ironic fact though is that at least 55% of the words from the English language come straight from Latin. So don't let anyone tell me that they can't learn English.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
One thing the pro Hispanic/Spanish fans seem to overlook it that Spanish is a 'White man's' (Euro) language--------much like English. Yet the MEChA types embrace the tongue and an archaic version of the culture of those who beat and raped the Aztecs, etc.

Too; if the USA were to ever go Hispanic--------the Mestizos and Indians here and especially our American Blacks would suffer greatly due to the White supremacy of said culture.

In a weird way: I would have more respect for the La Raza people if they tried to adopt Nahautl instead.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:20 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One thing the pro Hispanic/Spanish fans seem to overlook it that Spanish is a 'White man's' (Euro) language--------much like English. Yet the MEChA types embrace the tongue and an archaic version of the culture of those who beat and raped the Aztecs, etc.

Too; if the USA were to ever go Hispanic--------the Mestizos and Indians here and especially our American Blacks would suffer greatly due to the White supremacy of said culture.

In a weird way: I would have more respect for the La Raza people if they tried to adopt Nahautl instead.
Nahautl is a difficult language to learn--all those alveolar lateral affricate consonants are killer. It took my father-in-law years to become competent, let alone fluent, although he eventually did.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:24 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Etymologically, English has prevailed as the language of global commerce and international travel not just because of perceived American or former British dominance, but because its elasticity has encompassed all new technology and new concepts. It dropped declensions and gender within language, which all etymologists agree was a giant step forward for ease for the first and social equality for the second. It continues to embrace all foreign language words into the lexicon when appropriate. (In comparison, the French have a language academy dedicated to the opposite of same.) Despite the difficulty of learning our variable spelling, this is why it has prevailed.

And the American experiment of "E Pluribus Unum" has worked because the former emigrants from all over the globe were able to communicate with one another as well as with citizens here. Remove this unifier and solidarity disappears instantly into permanent non-communication, and with it respect for our laws, values and culture.

To add the above anecdotes, we have multi-generations of poor English-speakers here in Los Angeles. Our educators (my husband teaches in an economically disadvantaged area) try their hardest, and yet when the kids go home, no English will ever be encountered in their all-spanish language neighborhoods (which are widespread and huge- not isolated areas here in LA.) with not even "bi-lingual" signage, all spanish-media blaring constantly and little interaction with people not from what's considered their "home country." There's no pride in being an American, despite living here and enjoying its advantages.

In stark contrast and to dissuade contrarians, Switzerland has almost overwhelming patriotism in being Swiss, despite the use of several languages. Our Swiss friends confirm that most know their regional language and two others, having been taught English and whatever the remaining language was. But all love being Swiss, and the plethora of Swiss flag emblems on everything is not kitsch, it's genuine pride in their country: something not seen here in those who eschew English and are in denial that they are in American around Americans, who might have come from all over the globe. Communication is a two-way street. I would have to know five different languages to converse with people on my own block and I'm not a linguist. Luckily everyone who isn't from the part of the world that charges that all American citizens, whether born or naturalized, should learn the language of their former country, the OT, has made the effort to learn the lingua franca of the United States, English. I think that's what implied about cultural differences in adaptability.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have been out of the USA 6 times and; suffice to say: with the possible exception of Australia or New Zealand---------I have no desire to live anywhere else.

That stated: I would like to visit Berlin and Vancouver, BC one day

As for Mexico: till that nation is under US control; lock, stock and barrel--------I will never set foot there. The exploding drug violence there is reason alone to avoid that Third World place.
The drug cartel which is supported 100% by American consumers...

Old 12-19-2008, 09:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Aztlan? Mexico Taking over??
The only people who believes that junk are bored extremist college students, and you "anti-illegal".
You guys talk about it a lot more than any Latino I know.

And what do you know about numbers? You definitely feel like most latinos choose not to learn English, and do it on purpose as disrespect towards you. Because that's your preconceived notion of Hispanics based on your opinions.

I've seen you on the Mexico forum, and on there, you sound more open minded, and tolerant toward Hispanic culture and language.

On here, you sound like just another Latino-basher.
I will admit I have a whole different attitude toward Mexicans who live in Mexico and they are a very different kind of people than many of the Mexicans who live here and pretend to be very patriotic toward Mexico but in reality will not do anything for it.

I very much respect the people of Mexico who stay and try to make their country a good place to live and raise their families. I know that Aztlan stuff comes from a Mexican nationalism that is within the USA, not from Mexicans who live and work in Mexico. Mexicans in Mexico tend to be quite introspective, they understand a lot more of the history of their country, it's problems, and while they might resent that the SW part of the USA was lost, they actually understand the history of that -- unlike the radical Mexican nationalists here who simply claim it was "stolen" and have no clue about the politics of Mexico or it's government during that time.

I also respect immigrants who come here legally, work hard to learn our language, have their children prepared properly for school. Be a Mexican or be an American -- either is great but really be whichever it is you choose. It's like that old saying in Mexico -- about becoming "ni de aqui, ni de alla". There's a problem with leaving your land en masse, never intending to return but never intending to become an integral part of the country you've moved into.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
A private company has the right to set their own policies. You have every right to seek employment elsewhere if you disagree with their policies. The United States has no official language, and even if there were an official language, it would only apply to legal documents and procedures. It is doubtful that such legislation would affect the private sector one bit.

Personally, studying languages is something that I've never considered to be a burden. I've enjoyed every minute of my studies of Gaelic and Icelandic. And even picked up a bit of Spanish just from being around Spanish speakers. Take it in stride and make it fun. Remember, this country wouldn't exist if it weren't for immigrants who came looking for a better life. It takes a generation or two for them to fully assimilate. It can be quite fun trying to communicate in their language.
No it doesn't. It's against the law to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, and ethnic origin, but yet that's what we see now being done when blacks, whites and others are told they need not apply because they are not native speakers of Spanish.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
The drug cartel which is supported 100% by American consumers...
Wrong!!

Drug use in the USA is declining so the drug lords 'need' to peddle their wares in Mexico.

I honestly think that by far the main reason there are so many gruesome murders in Tijuana as well as Juarez is due to the killers tweaking on Meth.

Meth is becoming quite unpopular here in the States---------more and more people are turning in both users as well as Meth labs to the police.

We are sick of that evil drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration