Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 02:08 AM

78 posts, read 203,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Every City that is a tourist attraction usually has English down. That's good enough for the average citizen. I've been to Cabo, Panama and S Africa and had no problem getting around with English. There is no reason for me to know another language here at home. If they don't speak English I don't shop there.
Hmm...

Old 12-27-2008, 02:09 AM

78 posts, read 203,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
A few clicks of the mouse and BAM!!! I understand Spanish!!
If it's that easy, then what's the problem?
BTW, computer translation was off by one word.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:40 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPlanner View Post
BTW, computer translation was off by one word.
Well what the heck!! One word two words what’s the difference?? Illegal’s all say pretty much the same things in Spanish anyway.. If I see one yelling as he’s running down the street with my car stereo… I’m pretty sure I know what he’s saying.. “Thank You”!!

Old 12-27-2008, 02:57 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Have a American friend down here who sells small items and toys etc at the local sat and sun swap meet. I visit him for a couple of hrs each day to shoot the bull and give him some stuff from the computer (news).

Anyway...the number of women who are pregnant and the number of small kids is very high. Condoms are available in Mexico....then hey it don't feel good...besides the church says to be fruitful and multiply. Many are NOT married (know of a couple of girls who are NOT)...when I asked one...she said it was not important...so there you go. She had two from a previous relationship...had one by a second man who later moved in with her and they had two more. What can I say. Steve
They keep having kids because they know they can just sneak across the border and the US tax payers will pick up the tab. No shame what so ever.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:20 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPlanner View Post
Native Americans didn't say no to the English Speakers back before their rights and freedoms were stripped away from them. Come on.
Neither did the Aztecs, etc. say no when the Hispanics came here and conquered them.

Nor did weaker 'indigenous' groups say no to the Aztecs when the latter decided they needed some 'volunteers' to give up their (still beating) hearts.

That 'race card' does not work using the American Indian excuse. The Euros; both Anglo and Hispanic were simply a bigger, badder group of 'Indians'. I am not saying such behavior would be acceptable by today's standards--------but, it sure was OK 400-500 years ago.

The past is just that: it cannot be changed.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:40 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Well what the heck!! One word two words what’s the difference?? Illegal’s all say pretty much the same things in Spanish anyway.. If I see one yelling as he’s running down the street with my car stereo… I’m pretty sure I know what he’s saying.. “Thank You”!!
And, as I watch him through my scope. I would be returning the "thank you" with,,,,.......
YouTube - Terminator Hasta la vista Baby

Old 12-27-2008, 09:04 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I'm curious... why is Cuba teaching English if they are so against the US?

Why does Cuba have such a hard time (economically) and claiming our boycott is the problem?

Why does Cuba not buy their needed supplies...autos for example from Brazil?

Surely South America can supply many needed items without blaming the US for the shortages.

Have never been that far down south so cannot see the entire picture.

Still does not make sense to me. 49 yrs of embargo and they have not improved their situation.

Does everything depend on the US to function.

Steve
In Cuba English has always been taught, there are lots of high ranking people who deal with people who do speak English...for instance, Eusebio Leal who is in charge of all the renovation going on in Habana in the tourist section. Do not get fooled, Cuba has a love & hate relationship with the USA.

Cuba tells its people who still live in Cuba, that all their problems have to do with the USA Embargo, that is how Fidel Castro or his brother Raul keep the people who live there in line....But the Embargo has nothing to do with their economic problems, their economic problems is because they do NOT PAY countries that they buy from...but they need to blame the USA for everything to keep fooling the people that live under that regime.

Cuba can buy merchandise from any country...the problem is the regime keeps the money and do not pay their creditor.

In almost 50 years of the so called Embargo nothing has changed, plus what Embargo??? Cuba buys from us millions of $$ in food every year the only difference is the USA does not give them credit...they need to pay cash....The embargo is a JOKE...I am totally against the embargo, because all it does is limit the American people from traveling to the Island.

I can go on and on about this...Cuba in other words..do NOT want the Embargo removed, because that is the only WORD they have left to keep their people fooled.
Remove the Embargo....and the Castro regime would go down the drain.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:24 AM
ECG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
You don't have to learn Spanish, it's simply the U.S.'s way of catering to illegal aliens instead of kicking them out of our country. Our government wants Americans to learn Spanish because the illegals don't want to learn our language. It's BS. In other words, people in public have to understand each other, and they want it to be us who does it the hard way since the illegals won't.
Everyone in the USA has been an immigrant in this country at one time or another..who are the true Americans?

I am AGAINST illegal immigration, do not get me wrong, but I feel is the fault of the United States that have let this problem go on.
WHY...Because when they needed this ILLEGALS to come here and work in jobs that no one here in the USA wanted to do, it was OK to let them in, and now they are overwhelmed by ILLEGALS comming. I personally do not like the WORD KICK THEM OUT...because the reason they are here in the first place is because AMERICANS WANTED TO USE THEM TO DO THEIR CHEAP LABOR.

PLUS...here you all are speaking about 2 different subjects...

1 is the Illegal immigration

2 is if they should speak the language.

One thing has nothing to do with the other!!

IS always SMART for a person of any nationality to be BILINGUAL!!

Old 12-27-2008, 09:27 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
I agree, learning Japanese or Chinese makes more sense in Business than any other second language.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:28 AM
ECG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
a nonreputable, commercial advertisment website that will say anything to get your money.

sure!! Anja!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration