Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 07:18 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,616,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
I think that people like you would never understand, per capita income is just a figure, it does not encompass the whole reality, Puerto Rico's per capita income is roughly 60% that of the mainland, however people's expectation for happiness are not based solely on that figure, there is no, almost pathological worry about amasssing a lot of money for retirement, because families take care of their own, just like in spain.
Here in the mainland no one cares about their families or friends, everyone is left out there to fend for themselves, that's the reason there is such a huge number of homeless people, mostly anglos, since the mediterranean people are hispanic like in that sense. Year after year Portoricans from the Island are voted the happiest people on earth, there are many examples that I can bring to you, but I have no time for that, perhaps you can talk to one of your mysterious mestizo friends from SOB, that know a lot about all cultures.......

All I can say is that you certainly 'know' a lot of crappy Anglos if they are what you are basing your assertations on --- maybe they 'know' those myserious mestizo friends from SOB you were referring to?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,531,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And PR is poorer than even our worst Southern state let alone Spain. Why is that?
PR is at about the same level as Mississippi. In the past it's actually been economically above Mississippi. They're pretty much neck and neck.

More people move to Puerto Rico these days than leave - although almost all the people moving to PR from the mainland US are Puerto Rican senior citizens from NY, NJ, Chicago, etc. who choose to retire in their homeland.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,693,658 times
Quote:
Point well taken.

That still does not exclude MiamiRob's derogatory comment comparing the plight of Jews as a group 70 years ago to illegal aliens here in the USA. Again: most of us anti illegal folks do not wish to injure/kill illegal aliens (unless they resist deportation using violent means)----------we just want them gone from the USA.

Besides: we have no interest in invading/subjugating Mexico---------barring that nation's possible implosion.
I think it would be nice if the USA takes over Baja California. It it so nice!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
And PR is poorer than even our worst Southern state let alone Spain. Why is that?
I don't think it has nothing to do with the language they speak. It has more to do with the people and they desire to get ahead in life and be less reliable on welfare and help from the US government.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,555,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
I think that people like you would never understand, per capita income is just a figure, it does not encompass the whole reality, Puerto Rico's per capita income is roughly 60% that of the mainland, however people's expectation for happiness are not based solely on that figure, there is no, almost pathological worry about amasssing a lot of money for retirement, because families take care of their own, just like in spain.
Here in the mainland no one cares about their families or friends, everyone is left out there to fend for themselves, that's the reason there is such a huge number of homeless people, mostly anglos, since the mediterranean people are hispanic like in that sense. Year after year Portoricans from the Island are voted the happiest people on earth, there are many examples that I can bring to you, but I have no time for that, perhaps you can talk to one of your mysterious mestizo friends from SOB, that know a lot about all cultures.......
So in Puerto Rico, no elderly get Medicaid and Medicare?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,555,636 times
Puerto Rico currently receives more than $4.2 billion annually in federal aid from the United States.

Public welfare in Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well! So much for all that taking care of your own. The people in Puerto Rico do get welfare handouts, all kinds of Medicare and Medicaid.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So in Puerto Rico, no elderly get Medicaid and Medicare?
The main problem with Puerto Rico and its people is that it has an identity crisis. They say they are Hispanics, but they are not an independent nation, rather a leech sucking on the USA's lending hand. They say they are US citizens, but display their flag every where they live. By the way, the PR flag was copied from the Cuban flag. “On June 12, 1892, Vélez was at his apartment at 219 Twenty-Third Street in Manhattan, when he stared at a Cuban flag for a few minutes, and then took a look at the blank wall in which it was being displayed. Vélez suddenly perceivedan optical illlusion, in which he perceived the image of the Cuban Flag with the colors in the flag's triangle and stripes inverted. Almost immediately he visited a nearby merchant, Domingo Peraza, from whom he bought some crepe paper to build a crude prototype.”

A few more things that might help understand their identity crisis:

In their original national anthem, they make reference to Cuba twice, how they should be more like the Cubans and expel the imperialists (the Spanish crown back then). They claim salsa is PR, right, and no one has ever heard of Celia Cruz (Cuba's Queen of salsa). And something even more demining, the PR flag was illegal to display up to 1951 by the US government. “On December 10, 1898, Puerto Rico was annexed by the United States under the terms of the Treaty of Paris of 1898 as a result of the Spanish American war. From 1898 to 1952 it was considered a felony to display the Puerto Rican flag in public; the only flag permitted to be flown on the island was the flag of the USA”. In my honest opinion, if they are so proud of their nation, they should all go back to PR and stay there.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,530,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Puerto Rico currently receives more than $4.2 billion annually in federal aid from the United States.

Public welfare in Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well! So much for all that taking care of your own. The people in Puerto Rico do get welfare handouts, all kinds of Medicare and Medicaid.

Back in my "mailman days" several decades ago, we had a NALC (union) magazine in which there was a nation-wide page dedicated to those members seeking 'job swaps'. These were allowed, provided that BOTH postmasters agreed.

Fully 40% of the ads each month were from Hispanic letter carriers in New York City, New Haven, CT, and the area, seeking to 'swap' with letter carriers in San Juan or other PR cities.

Puerto Rico, of course, is part of the US Postal Service....and you can imagine the benefit of gaining postal employment on the mainland, then transferring THAT level of wages and benefits back to the Island.

I'm not sure how successful those 'mainland' swappers were...occasionally, perhaps, someone got 'Island Fever' and agreed to move to the mainland....but it SURE wasn't for the wages. A postal carrier's wages in NYC might get you a studio apartment. In PR you could PROBABLY buy 5 acres on the same wage.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,056,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I don't think it has nothing to do with the language they speak. It has more to do with the people and they desire to get ahead in life and be less reliable on welfare and help from the US government.
I am afraid you are 100% correct there as well.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I am afraid you are 100% correct there as well.
WOW BABY!! ArizonaBear and I have actually agreed on a couple of issues lately!! Hell must be about to freeze!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration