U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Reputation: 7563

Advertisements

If the government was to pass comprehensive illegal reform, how do you think this would affect the sunbelt cities?

Would they continue to boom or would they fizzle out and North East cities and midwest cities rise again.

Would Cities like LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc shrink, while Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Philladelphia, Pittburgh, Baltimore etc regain the top ten positions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If the government was to pass comprehensive illegal reform, how do you think this would affect the sunbelt cities?

Would they continue to boom or would they fizzle out and North East cities and midwest cities rise again.

Would Cities like LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc shrink, while Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Philladelphia, Pittburgh, Baltimore etc regain the top ten positions
I think the sunbelt's pretty much on its way down anyways regardless of what would happen with immigration. Water supplies are the main reason why as well as the aftermath of the RE bubble.(Although from what I understand the Texas cities have ample water supplies, that's definitely not true for the core sunbelt in the Southwest.)

Chicago and Philly, btw, are still in the top 5.
I do have hope for some of the Great Lakes area cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Milwaukee, etc. and - although it would take a great deal of hard work and effort - even Cleveland might come back. Chicago will continue to be big and important and it's not going away. Detroit I think is way too far gone.

However, I see the Pacific Northwest as gaining the most from the decline of the sunbelt. Plenty of water, plenty of resources, more educated populations, and pretty nice cities to boot. Also more convenient to Asia than the AZ or TX cities, which is good considering the trade climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Reputation: 453
Remember something. There is never a positive outcome of illegal immigration, not legalization, nor political stances. Enforcement begins by cleansing/enforcement of our laws, that is where you will see differences, positives of sane decisions. As rampant as these particular illegal aliens are, we'll see an immediate result nationwide. AZ is looking better every day. Too bad they (illegal aliens) are getting bum advice from those using them for political and monetary gain. Just go home, there is no amnesty. There really is NO AMNESTY. Go home, go home, getout before you are caught and go to jail.

I know this so please, get out of this Country and stay away before you are caught, if you are, you'll be flagged as a never to return, ever. Go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Reputation: 7563
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I think the sunbelt's pretty much on its way down anyways regardless of what would happen with immigration. Water supplies are the main reason why as well as the aftermath of the RE bubble.(Although from what I understand the Texas cities have ample water supplies, that's definitely not true for the core sunbelt in the Southwest.)

Chicago and Philly, btw, are still in the top 5.
I do have hope for some of the Great Lakes area cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Milwaukee, etc. and - although it would take a great deal of hard work and effort - even Cleveland might come back. Chicago will continue to be big and important and it's not going away. Detroit I think is way too far gone.

However, I see the Pacific Northwest as gaining the most from the decline of the sunbelt. Plenty of water, plenty of resources, more educated populations, and pretty nice cities to boot. Also more convenient to Asia than the AZ or TX cities, which is good considering the trade climate.
yeah, all of the Texas cities have been growing, but it is still largely growth Latin Growth. We have plenty of water, especially around Houston. many lakes and bayous. This passed July has been one of the wettest we have had in the last 100 years. so much water we don't know where to put it.

I don't see any sunbelt city that is in danger of decline right now based on water except maybe Phoenix. Anyway water was not the question. I would have posted this in the city vs city forum if I meant it to be general. The question is would immigration reform affect the boom of sunbelt cities.

Oh, and I know there are still non-sunbelt cities in the top, was asking will the other cities rise again and dominate the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,136,339 times
Reputation: 5685
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If the government was to pass comprehensive illegal reform, how do you think this would affect the sunbelt cities?

Would they continue to boom or would they fizzle out and North East cities and midwest cities rise again.

Would Cities like LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc shrink, while Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Philladelphia, Pittburgh, Baltimore etc regain the top ten positions
I would think if home invasions decrease in Tucson, then more boomers may want to retire there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
3,858 posts, read 5,959,982 times
Reputation: 1806
What do you mean by comprehensive immigration reform and comprehensive illegal reform?
Amnesty or deportations?
If deportation then areas with heavy illegal immigrant populations would obviously experience de-population. These people aren't living in caves and eating grass so the immediate effects would be on landlords, food & retail merchants, and mortgage and debt holders. There would less demand on gov't services (notably education) with the immediate effects being gov't layoffs. While southwest growth may stagnate it wouldn't benefit northern cities. If they "moved up the list" it would only be in relation southwest cities not because of real growth or a shift in investments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
What do you mean by comprehensive immigration reform and comprehensive illegal reform?
Amnesty or deportations?
If deportation then areas with heavy illegal immigrant populations would obviously experience de-population. These people aren't living in caves and eating grass so the immediate effects would be on landlords, food & retail merchants, and mortgage and debt holders. There would less demand on gov't services (notably education) with the immediate effects being gov't layoffs. While southwest growth may stagnate it wouldn't benefit northern cities. If they "moved up the list" it would only be in relation southwest cities not because of real growth or a shift in investments.
Hardly, both schools and medical facilities would finally get some relief and instead of massive write offs our medical facilities could prove to be substainable and at least cost neutral. There are already countless reports showing that even with Federal aid States are still being forced to use their own money to educate the children of Illegals and of course those here illegally. If a business is relying on Illegals to stay afloat it needs to sink. Illegal business is illegal business.

On the other hand, any form of Amnesty opens up the entire social service menu to these trespassers. The cost of Govt programs will sky rocket like nothing we've ever witnessed. At some point there will be more on Govt services than the head count paying into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I think the sunbelt's pretty much on its way down anyways regardless of what would happen with immigration. Water supplies are the main reason why as well as the aftermath of the RE bubble.(Although from what I understand the Texas cities have ample water supplies, that's definitely not true for the core sunbelt in the Southwest.)

Chicago and Philly, btw, are still in the top 5.
I do have hope for some of the Great Lakes area cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Milwaukee, etc. and - although it would take a great deal of hard work and effort - even Cleveland might come back. Chicago will continue to be big and important and it's not going away. Detroit I think is way too far gone.

However, I see the Pacific Northwest as gaining the most from the decline of the sunbelt. Plenty of water, plenty of resources, more educated populations, and pretty nice cities to boot. Also more convenient to Asia than the AZ or TX cities, which is good considering the trade climate.
Milwaukee has some real intelligent bimbos elected for city and county officials. They're already in the toilet, just flush and they'll be gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Reputation: 7563
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I would think if home invasions decrease in Tucson, then more boomers may want to retire there.
I never thought of that angle. The old people dollars vs the mexican migrant dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 02:40 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
What do you mean by comprehensive immigration reform and comprehensive illegal reform?
Amnesty or deportations?
If deportation then areas with heavy illegal immigrant populations would obviously experience de-population. These people aren't living in caves and eating grass so the immediate effects would be on landlords, food & retail merchants, and mortgage and debt holders. There would less demand on gov't services (notably education) with the immediate effects being gov't layoffs. While southwest growth may stagnate it wouldn't benefit northern cities. If they "moved up the list" it would only be in relation southwest cities not because of real growth or a shift in investments.
We don't need illegal aliens to sustain our economy in anyway. Any short term loss by their departure back to their homelands would be a huge long term gain for our country.

Last edited by chicagonut; 08-04-2010 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top