Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 08:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Are Illegal Immigrants Being Deterred From Leaving U.S.? - News Story - KFOX El Paso

Maybe fewer will sneak in if we tell them we won't let them ever leave, they can never go home again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
I know there are demonstrated benefits (criminals captured, stolen cars recovered...) to outbound checks but the bigger rights question is should/does the gov't have the right to detain & question people leaving the country? Maybe they get around it as a vehicle check. I've seen the check in vehicle lanes but not at pedestrian crossings.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
When you leave that way you can never go back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOBt...layer_embedded

Last edited by mkfarnam; 08-03-2010 at 08:37 AM..

Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
roach motel ?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Perhaps they will start having protests, burning flags just to leave now?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Are Illegal Immigrants Being Deterred From Leaving U.S.? - News Story - KFOX El Paso

Maybe fewer will sneak in if we tell them we won't let them ever leave, they can never go home again?
I say let em' go, ....get them to h*ll out of here!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Perhaps they will start having protests, burning flags just to leave now?
That would be ironic. If they do this enough there will be protests with illegals demanding their right to go home.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I say let em' go, ....get them to h*ll out of here!
I think they should just let them go home. Some of my neighbors returned home to Mexico without anyone stopping them and throwing them in jail for trying to leave.

They simply self deported, they decided they missed life in Mexico and the bigger money here wasn't all they were after. They also decided they were happier being "legal" which they are as soon as they stepped foot in their own country.

Unless some violent crime has been committed and there's another reason to hold them and charge them, it seems best to me if they just move back on their own. I think if anything, they should be told forget an amnesty, and if they return home, they can go to the back of the line and start over the right way along with all those many others who have applied to come here legally but if they are caught staying here, then they will be formally deported and barred from legal reentry for 10 years.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:23 PM

406 posts, read 495,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I know there are demonstrated benefits (criminals captured, stolen cars recovered...) to outbound checks but the bigger rights question is should/does the gov't have the right to detain & question people leaving the country? Maybe they get around it as a vehicle check. I've seen the check in vehicle lanes but not at pedestrian crossings.
Didn't Calderon blame the US for the weapons coming into their country? We all know lots of drugs are being brought in but do you actually think that money stays here? There must be checks and lots of them. If they aren't violent felons I say we let them self deport.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:04 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Unfortunately, history shows the reverse is true. Mexican migrant workers (in the true sense of the term - ie., following the crops) would enter the USA (whether legally on work visas or illegally, work the seasons and then return home. After the 1986 amnesty, with tougher border crossing rules (yes I know that sounds strange but it's true) more opted to just STAY in the USA rather than risk going home then not being able to re-enter the next crop season (for those without the required guest worker visas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration