U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm thinking out of the box right now but to me this sounds like there are some opportunities for improvement on the healthcare end. Has there ever been the suggestion to have ER's use E-Verify when taking in patients? Anybody who is found as a mismatch could be refused service without either providing collateral of some kind (car, house, expensive jewelry, etc.) or the ID information of somebody else would be made responsible for the bill (with the person's permission of course).
I agree; something must be done to stop this abuse, but it will never happen. Illegal alien advocates would scream racism, discrimination, Nazism. . . . you name it. It would make the controversy surrounding SB 1070 pale by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 03:34 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,850,192 times
Quote:
I'm thinking out of the box right now but to me this sounds like there are some opportunities for improvement on the healthcare end. Has there ever been the suggestion to have ER's use E-Verify when taking in patients? Anybody who is found as a mismatch could be refused service without either providing collateral of some kind (car, house, expensive jewelry, etc.) or the ID information of somebody else would be made responsible for the bill (with the person's permission of course).
Or better yet, if they can't prove ability to pay for services, provide a mandatory late term abortion? That's the next logical progression. You really can't turn away a mother in labor, and in the big scheme of things, child delivery is not a major medical expense.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Or better yet, if they can't prove ability to pay for services, provide a mandatory late term abortion? That's the next logical progression. You really can't turn away a mother in labor, and in the big scheme of things, child delivery is not a major medical expense.
This is only one hospital in one county in this country.

Quote:
A recent patient survey indicated that 70 percent of the women who gave birth at Parkland in the first three months of 2006 were illegal immigrants, hospital officials said.

In 2004, the hospital spent $70.7 million delivering 15,938 babies but ended the year with a $7.9 million surplus in obstetrics.

The positive bottom line resulted from a hefty infusion of Medicaid funds, about $34.5 million, to cover the delivery costs for the undocumented women. Dallas County taxpayers also kicked in $31.3 million, or about 40 percent of the total obstetrics costs, and the federal government paid an additional $9.5 million to make up for the hospital's high percentage of patients on Medicaid, the state-federal insurance program for the poor.
News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/061206dnmetmoms.d9b9669.html - broken link)

Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,850,192 times
I think that says more about spiraling medical costs in the US than the anchor baby problem. My point was that turning away a mother in labor is not going to keep that child from being born in the US and being a US citizen. The welfare costs to follow are much more significant than the actual cost of childbirth.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM

5,891 posts, read 12,254,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I agree; something must be done to stop this abuse, but it will never happen. Illegal alien advocates would scream racism, discrimination, Nazism. . . . you name it. It would make the controversy surrounding SB 1070 pale by comparison.
It's a matter of controlling ER costs and holding patients accountable to pay their hospital bills. As long as it is looked at in that way these advocate groups don't really have much of a case, in my opinion.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:58 PM

3,456 posts, read 5,092,842 times
This is an immigration issue but more directly it is a 14th amendment issue which states pretty clearly that those born on American soil are citizens, no matter the intentions of the parents. Refusing medical care and social programs are another matter but until there is a constitutional amendment to reverse this no law trying to counteract the 14the directly will survive any reasonable federal court.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,950,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
It's not the Hospitals or Health Cares fault. We have no choice. We cannot turn anyone away no matter who they are. Even if they show they have no income. We have to give them emergency care.
Well supposedly the law only states no-one can be turned away for a LIFE THREATENING situation. There's no call to allow illegals to use an ER as their local clinic.

THAT'S where the hospitals are making their BIG mistake, by taking them in and treating them for every imaginable ill, MOST of which are NOT life threatening. Time they grew a backbone and REFUSED treatment for any old reason they decide to use the ER.

Most of what I've seen in our ERs here are NOT emergency situations by ANY means - you have a cold/flu? Tough ****. Go away.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
It's a matter of controlling ER costs and holding patients accountable to pay their hospital bills. As long as it is looked at in that way these advocate groups don't really have much of a case, in my opinion.
Not having a legitimate case won't prevent La Raza, MALDEF, the ACLU, et al. from suing. They believe illegal aliens are entitled to be supported by the taxpayers of this country, and will fight tooth and nail to oppose all measures intended to deny tax-funded services. A couple of hospitals have already been sued after refusing to continue medical treatment after having lost millions of dollars.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:13 PM

720 posts, read 587,922 times
Well, I took my son to the Children s hospital ER when he broke his arm...After waiting in line, yes behind ten bazillion hispanics, got to the window and was told I had a co-pay of 150.00 for using the ER...I said, well obviously I didn't plan for my son to break his arm, so can you bill me and set up pay arrangements...I was told no, my insurance said I have a co-pay so in order to be seen, I had to pay it....so guess who was on the phone asking dad for the money to pay the copay while my 6 year old son sat waiting with a broken arm...No exaggeration, plain and simple truth...But what could I do, except pay it so my sons arm could be tended to..

Old 08-03-2010, 04:15 PM

720 posts, read 587,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Not having a legitimate case won't prevent La Raza, MALDEF, the ACLU, et al. from suing. They believe illegal aliens are entitled to be supported by the taxpayers of this country, and will fight tooth and nail to oppose all measures intended to deny tax-funded services. A couple of hospitals have already been sued after refusing to continue medical treatment after having lost millions of dollars.
It is my understanding that most hospitals will not deny any immigrant medical care, legal or illegal....But from experience, they will deny ones with health insurance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration